• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It is Time to Name a Captain

"Perhaps Kaapo Kakko will finally make the major step in point production. Perhaps Alexis Lafrenière will be more impactful. Perhaps Nils Lundkvist will have a very successful rookie campaign. Whether they come out hot or cold, we must wait to fully assess where they are at and wait to predict where they will be until we have at least a couple month’s worth of games of data. And hopefully their production, along with their teammates’, by mid season, will be able to safeguard the team on the ice enough to allow a captain to grab the steering wheel and lead the team into playoffs, and hopefully, beyond." 

I initially argued to wait to name a captain citing the pure number of candidates there are and the beginning of a new system, but these recent games have shown that the team lacks the spark and cohesion that top teams possess. 

The prospects are struggling. The goalies are frustrated. The offense is struggling. The coach is getting defensive. It is time to force the team into the next chapter, into a bright new chapter under the guidance and inspiration of Chris Kreider. 

The biggest problem is that if you didn’t name one on day one, naming one on day 20 doesn’t really do too much. As this season progressed, I’d think Kreider deserves it most just by sheer will and performance. Problem is, we all are waiting for that hiatus that we all know will come. Ziby then? Well why wasn’t he captain already? 

That leaves us with Fox. Soft spoken, let’s his body of work be the talking. But there is just something kind of missing there. I’m not sure it’s exactly time for him. 

Grand scheme of things is that there will be that “ah ha” moment where we all know this is the captain. I’m not sure it’s happened yet. 

3 hours ago, Cordelia B Willhams III said:

"Perhaps Kaapo Kakko will finally make the major step in point production. Perhaps Alexis Lafrenière will be more impactful. Perhaps Nils Lundkvist will have a very successful rookie campaign. Whether they come out hot or cold, we must wait to fully assess where they are at and wait to predict where they will be until we have at least a couple month’s worth of games of data. And hopefully their production, along with their teammates’, by mid season, will be able to safeguard the team on the ice enough to allow a captain to grab the steering wheel and lead the team into playoffs, and hopefully, beyond." 

Who's quote is this?

Krieder is just unreliable. I'm guessing that's why he's not wearing the C already. 

• Phil changed the title to It is Time to Name a Captain

^This. We have 'quasi' captains right now. I listened to Zib after last night's squeaker win and he was fumbling around for the words. I get it, the win was frustrating in the way we barely hung on at the end - the clock was our friend - but to me, a C would have known how to say, "We won but those final minutes sucked. We'll address that in the room. Next Q?..."

Kreider or Trouba would be my current choice an in that order although I cannot recall Trouba being much of a team spokesman so I don't have a good gauge on him. Kreider should be the guy. If gaining the C doesn't put an end to his disappearing act then nothing will.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

That they haven't named a captain is as clear an indication the team doesn't have a captain as can be. Shame they couldn't pull of the Giordano deal.

Too old, I want someone who’s going to last here for awhile.  As Zuuuc mentioned, Laf would be good but he has other issues he needs to deal with first.  

4 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Too old, I want someone who’s going to last here for awhile.  As Zuuuc mentioned, Laf would be good but he has other issues he needs to deal with first.  

How long someone lasts is irrelevant. I want someone to lead. They had MSL for what, two years? A year and a half? He was their captain. Through-and-through. Look what it did for those clubs.

Just now, Morphinity said:

It really amazes me how many fans give even the faintest fuck about who a team's captain is. 

I couldn't give less of a shit who wears what letter. I just want leadership. Real leadership. Rally around the flag, go through the wall for me leadership. That's what I love so much about Reaves. You see it come through every time they post a clip. Little things. Shit most people shrug off as nothing. "Shesty! Release us!" ... the little shoulder bumps, going chest-to-chest, whatever. That shit matters. It bonds teams.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

I couldn't give less of a shit who wears what letter. I just want leadership. Real leadership. Rally around the flag, go through the wall for me leadership. That's what I love so much about Reaves. You see it come through every time they post a clip. Little things. Shit most people shrug off as nothing. "Shesty! Release us!" ... the little shoulder bumps, going chest-to-chest, whatever. That shit matters. It bonds teams.

As far as I'm concerned Reaves is our leader.   I'd really like to see him make an example of someone soon though...that shit with Shesty getting all that traffic in his blue paint last night is good enough reason for me.

19 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

No one said they want him to be named captain, some were hoping he could mold into one when drafted.

Im not about to go searching for it but there was def some people who suggested him being named.

They can still mold him into one. Assuming he actually has the talent hes supposed to have.