• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Phil Kessel a Trade Option?

The Dude

These are the games we need to win so the pressure isn't on in March/April. We have all the puck luck going our way early which is nice. A lot of inconsistent effort (which has been an issue with this squad for a while), which has led to our all star caliber goalie making a name for himself. Let's hope the big guns get firing and we get some development from #1 and #2 OA so we can start rightfully winning games when Shesty isn't having a vezina caliber night and the luck is going the other way.

Win or bag skate.....that's what I say!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Phil changed the title to Is Phil Kessel a Trade Option?

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-dan-rosen-mailbag-november-24/c-328266742

Do you see the Rangers kicking the tires on Phil Kessel? They have around $8 million in cap space and Kessel is on the last year of his deal. They could use a goal scorer to play on the line with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider. Or is there any chance for Reilly Smith if the Golden Knights need to clear cap space now that they have Eichel? -- @sblandinojr

'The Rangers will have options when it comes time to make a move for a forward, which I have every reason to believe will happen at some point. It makes sense for them to look for one on an expiring contract because of the NHL salary cap constraints they have coming. Adam Fox's cap charge increases from $900,000 to $9.5 million next season. Zibanejad's cap charge goes up more than $3 million to $8.5 million. Forward Kaapo Kakko will need a new contract. 

Kessel, the Coyotes forward, is a goal scorer and he wouldn't have to do a lot of the grunt work if he plays with Kreider and Zibanejad. I could get behind that move, but I like the idea of Smith better because he's more versatile than Kessel and his connection and history with Rangers coach Gerard Gallant from their time together with the Golden Knights. Vegas is going to be in the playoff race but will need cap relief when it's time to activate Eichel, which likely will be immediately after the 2022 Beijing Olympics in late February. The 2022 NHL Trade Deadline is March 21 and Smith is in the last season of his contract. Other pending UFAs to look at are Calle Jarnkrok from the Seattle Kraken, Andreas Athanasiou from the Los Angeles Kings and Zach Sanford from the Ottawa Senators....'

• 3 months later...

They are supposedly almost giving him away. How is he not a better option than Dryden F'n Hunt on the second line? This is the funny farm to think this couldn't be a huge upgrade in scoring. Yes, he isnt a dynamo on the Coyotes but is anyone? May as well give him a shot if the ask isn't too much. It is a 2 month rental for depth. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

They are supposedly almost giving him away. How is he not a better option than Dryden F'n Hunt on the second line? This is the funny farm to think this couldn't be a huge upgrade in scoring. Yes, he isnt a dynamo on the Coyotes but is anyone? May as well give him a shot if the ask isn't too much. It is a 2 month rental for depth. 

6 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

mid round pick for him to move between 2nd and 3rd line as needed? why the F not?

Kinda where I'm going with this....

I mean, how bad can he be??  I bet he'd even play better for a contender, and also the "Gallant factor".

Not that we're as good as the Pens b2b cup teams but Kessel has shown if he doesn't have to be the top producer he can thrive against the better matchups while other elite teammates get the tougher assignments. Hell, maybe he can even make PP2 relevant. 

Of course its been a few years since then and he's not exactly the same player he was, but for a 3rd-4th rounder it's worth a gamble

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

It’s not that he isn’t better. It’s just if they do get him, it’s underwhelming because that is the best they will do for the top 6. I’m hoping for more than that.

With that said, if there are crazy town prices on the other options, Kessel is a fine bargain bin option.