• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Phil Kessel a Trade Option?

The Dude

Just now, Pete said:

If there's one thing Phil Kessel has shown it's not to write off Phil Kessel.

I dunno, Pete....what do you think?  I have a feeling this guy could be the "buy-low" candidate of the season.  I'm sure we could do worse....especially for some mid round pick.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I dunno, Pete....what do you think?  I have a feeling this guy could be the "buy-low" candidate of the season.  I'm sure we could do worse....especially for some mid round pick.

I think he's got 86pts in 91 playoff games and even if you're getting 50% of what Phil Kessel was, that has to be better than 100% of whatever Dryden Hunt is.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 4

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I think he's got 86pts in 91 playoff games and even if you're getting 50% of what Phil Kessel was, that has to be better than 100% of whatever Dryden Hunt is.

Correct, but it's not necessarily Kessel versus Hunt, but Kessel versus whoever else is available.

For example, would you rather trade a third for Kessel or a second for Rakell? I'd go the latter ten times out of ten if those are my two choices.

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Correct, but it's not necessarily Kessel versus Hunt, but Kessel versus whoever else is available.

For example, would you rather trade a third for Kessel or a second for Rakell? I'd go the latter ten times out of ten if those are my two choices.

My comment was directed directed towards Ozzy and we'd already set the context of "If this is the only deal to be made, is it even worth it?"

I say yea, if the cost is what we think it will be.

Edited by Pete
  • VINNY! 1

My fault. Hadn't caught up to the thread. All good, then.

I'll also say this: I'm not a Kessel fan, at all, but 50% retained for a third, or whatever the middling return rumor was, is really hard to say no to.

• VINNY! 1

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Rakell is listed as an LW and Kessel a RW. I think we could use both honestly. Shore up the third with Rakell and then the second with Kessel.

Kreider- Zib - Laf

Bread- Strome- Kessel

Rakell- Goodrow- Kakko

Reaves/Gauthier- Chytil/Rooney- Brodzinski/Hunt

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'll also say this: I'm not a Kessel fan, at all, but 50% retained for a third, or whatever the middling return rumor was, is really hard to say no to.

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think that's right. At 50% and on the cheap, he's fine. 

Even if it's not at 50%, who cares? It's just Dolan's money. There is cap room.

• Keeps it 100 1

Having Kessel and Panarin on a line is a defensive problem I would like to see us give another team. They will double team Bread and have a forward drop back to cover Kessel leaving Strome to shoot at the end boards ALL NIGHT LONG! 

• LMFAO 1

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

My comment was directed directed towards Ozzy and we'd already set the context of "If this is the only deal to be made, is it even worth it?"

I say yea, if the cost is what we think it will be.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

9 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think that's right. At 50% and on the cheap, he's fine. 

Yeah, I'm thinking Drury at this point isn't going to move heaven and Earth to swing for the fences...so to speak.  I think we might see some trades to bolster the bottom 6, like you guys have been talking about in the other trade threads.  G man made a great point about possession drivers, and being able to limit opposition chances by upgrading the bottom 6 too...Nice work homie!!  😉

But yeah, Kessel, as much as I couldn't see him fit in back in Novenmber may be a pretty good fit right now with all that's transpired since then.  He's a pure scorer and may be a solid fit on the 2nd line with Strome and Bread.  Kakko might be suited better on the 3rd line, as G man noted...his possession numbers were pretty good, and he's far better than having Hunt there, I think.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, rmc51 said:

It’s not that he isn’t better. It’s just if they do get him, it’s underwhelming because that is the best they will do for the top 6. I’m hoping for more than that.

With that said, if there are crazy town prices on the other options, Kessel is a fine bargain bin option.

At the price being talked about, if he winds up being the 13th forward, who cares? Get him and a bunch of other pieces and see what fits. They need to replace Hunt, Mckegg, and possibly Chytil and Gauthier. Stack the roster. Get as many options as they can afford. 

13 minutes ago, josh said:

No Phil Kessel. 

come on guys. 

Scenario: the Rangers have missed out on everyone else, or the price was too high to pay. At 2:58PM on deadline day, Arizona calls and says they'll give up Kessel for a 4th round pick. Do you honestly hang up and say "nah, I'm good with Dryden Hunt in my top 6"?

• Applause 1

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Scenario: the Rangers have missed out on everyone else, or the price was too high to pay. At 2:58PM on deadline day, Arizona calls and says they'll give up Kessel for a 4th round pick. Do you honestly hang up and say "nah, I'm good with Dryden Hunt in my top 6"?

An upgrade on Hunt needs to bring just as much energy. That’s why he plays on that line. Not because of his talent. 

maybe over Gauthier, but again, with Kessel that’s still a turd line. A lateral move, at best, as Gauthier occasionally brings a physical game, and is a big body. 

Well, I guess Phil has a big body too, but not the beneficial type 

59 minutes ago, josh said:

An upgrade on Hunt needs to bring just as much energy. That’s why he plays on that line. Not because of his talent. 

maybe over Gauthier, but again, with Kessel that’s still a turd line. A lateral move, at best, as Gauthier occasionally brings a physical game, and is a big body. 

Hunts energy is that of an ass hair. It's just there. It serves no purpose, other than to look disgusting. 

He's not owning the boards, he's not a net front presence, he's not really physical, he doesn't carry the puck, he doesn't get shots off, hes never a buzz saw out there creating havik. He's not doing much out there. 

A guy that shoots, goes to the net and has a semblance of offensive awareness is 5 times the energy that is needed to upgrade over Hunt. Yes, I know I only listed 3 things and declared 5 times te energy... That's how  shitty Hunt is.  Anything is better. 

• LMFAO 1

11 hours ago, josh said:

I don't really think it's his energy that has him there. I think they just don't have anyone to play there because the other lines are better with Goodrow in the bottom 6.