• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-2022 Covid Scorecard

Scott

28 minutes ago, josh said:

Let's be honest, if we were NHL players we wouldn't get tested. Fuck, it's just a broken leg, I can go. You're a hockey player, get up. Youth players taking flu medicine between periods. 

You know the hockey mentality. 

That's putting a completely different pressure on them. Single Jimmy vesey is different than some guy living with a family. Ovechkin still live with his parents? 

I'm good with updating testing procedures but we have to be cognizant of the hockey environment 

See, I don’t agree with this. It’s 2021. The league is 99.9% vaccinated sans Bertuzzi. There are team doctors monitoring every move. When the league is THAT vaccinated and boostered then it tells the players are already committed to health. If they are asking for a change after following two years of protocols then I listen. Players aren’t going to get shunned for asking for a test. They are just asking to be treated like adults.

Troubas wife works in a hospital. Do you really believe that if Jacob requests a daily test, Kreider is going to shun him? It’s not that kind of league anymore. There is a hockey culture for sure but I find it hard to believe these players don’t know the difference between a broken bone and covid after the last two years. Their commitment shows that to me. The Bruins welcomed back Rask when he just didn’t feel like playing in the bubble. Players applauded Carey Price and Drouin for stepping away for mental/substance reasons. 

but what we have now are entire lineups being told “sorry you’re sick” when the players are saying “I’m vaccinated, I’m boostered, and I feel perfectly fine.”

47 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Wake me up when there is the first report of an NHL player being hospitalized from Covid.  I expect a long sleep.

It’s a slippery slope for sure. No one wants to take that responsibility of saying “you’re fine, suck it up” and have it turn out that way.

However, saying that. If the league is at 99.9% then maybe they’ve proven to do exactly what’s necessary to allow them a bit of freedoms. Who knows. I’m only going on the rumblings of people in the game asking for this……

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Wake me up when there is the first report of an NHL player being hospitalized from Covid.  I expect a long sleep.

This is kind of a silly stance. Maybe look into Brandon Sutter, Josh Archibald, and Marco Rossi. 

Granted that was before the vaccines but again, you're only looking at it from a fans POV. Boo hoo sports are stopped. Meanwhile the players interact with other people daily who have nothing to do with playing games. Rink security, support staff, etc.

28 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

For those suggesting not testing asymptomatic players. Uncle Lou says not possible because..

Obviously those like myself that think every player in hockey doesn’t need to be tested every single day unless they are sick are under the impression this discussion goes around a tad bit less governmental interference and restrictions as well in an environment where 99.9% of personnel are vaccinated.  If it’s on Canada then fine. Maybe it’s time for the country to help its national sport. 

Or we can just keep doing this. It’s getting dangerously close though to really affecting the money long term of the league. 

• Applause 1

Anybody ever see numbers of those who have received the booster shots, players wise. I ask because Trots just a few days ago had to walk it back after he said all the isles were. He was corrected shortly afterwards the corrected statement was all players were offered the booster. 

Look I get both sides here but I don't see them getting passed what Lou points out. If anything things are tightening up even the Rock was shamed into doing something after being no test no Vax to get in the door. 

We've been over this, you can't let players pass it around just because they may be asymptomatic that day. They could be passing it to people who then pass it to others, etc.

Can't just ignore it yet. 

Edited by Pete

12 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Anybody ever see numbers of those who have received the booster shots, players wise. I ask because Trots just a few days ago had to walk it back after he said all the isles were. He was corrected shortly afterwards the corrected statement was all players were offered the booster. 

Look I get both sides here but I don't see them getting passed what Lou points out. If anything things are tightening up even the Rock was shamed into doing something after being no test no Vax to get in the door. 

Trotz only walked back the part about the whole team being boosted, not on his opinion of the protocols. I’m not sure if there are exact numbers of how many people have boosted vaccinations. I’ve seen a lot of snippets of teams saying most if not all were though. That’s on the NHL. They should be mandating it in the first place. 

As for Canada, well who knows. They had their CFL season. In fact, I believe the Toronto QB broke protocol prior to a playoff game where he was supposed to be mandatory to miss the game but instead the league “refreshed” things to just allow him to show he doesn’t have Covid. 

My point is that we are in year 3 of something that probably is going years 4,5,6+    Everyone that wants to be vaccinated probably is. Certainly pro athletes are. I’m not suggesting saying screw it, no protocols or anything, but there has to be a grand plan to this in terms of the sporting world. 

Unless I am reading this wrong (and learned long ago that is possible) there were all of 52 COVID deaths in the US yesterday and 3 in Canada. Doesn't mean we should not be vigilant and smart, but does show the trend is from pandemic and to a  virus we will have to live with going forward. And "smart" clearly includes not going to China. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

Edited by Bugg

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Trotz only walked back the part about the whole team being boosted, not on his opinion of the protocols. I’m not sure if there are exact numbers of how many people have boosted vaccinations. I’ve seen a lot of snippets of teams saying most if not all were though. That’s on the NHL. They should be mandating it in the first place. 

As for Canada, well who knows. They had their CFL season. In fact, I believe the Toronto QB broke protocol prior to a playoff game where he was supposed to be mandatory to miss the game but instead the league “refreshed” things to just allow him to show he doesn’t have Covid. 

My point is that we are in year 3 of something that probably is going years 4,5,6+    Everyone that wants to be vaccinated probably is. Certainly pro athletes are. I’m not suggesting saying screw it, no protocols or anything, but there has to be a grand plan to this in terms of the sporting world. 

Mandating the booster? Why, at this point? Most of these guys missing time aren't sick. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Unless I am reading this wrong (and learned long ago that is possible) there were all of 52 COVID deaths in the US yesterday and 3 in Canada. Doesn't mean we should not be vigilant and smart, but does show the trend is from pandemic and to a respriratory virus we will ahve to live with going forward. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

You want to get back to normal, everybody get a vaccine. It's really that simple.

While the players might all be vaccinated, we don't know if everybody associated with the team is vaccinated, we don't know if their families are vaccinated, etc. That's why they need to get tested daily.

16 minutes ago, josh said:

Mandating the booster? Why, at this point? Most of these guys missing time aren't sick. 

I'm all for overkill of protection if it means helping the sport and keeping those associated one step ahead of anyone getting sick. 

Just now, Keirik said:

I'm all for overkill of protection if it means helping the sport and keeping those associated one step ahead of anyone getting sick. 

I asked a month ago- is anyone getting sick? Like sick or just testing positive. 

No one is getting sick. They're testing positive.

Testing will do more than boosters, now.

But if your goal, in the quoted post, is to help the sport, then follow Jimmy's suggestion and stop testing those that aren't sick. 

Also, if someone is sick but test negative, should they be pulled??

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

You want to get back to normal, everybody get a vaccine. It's really that simple.

While the players might all be vaccinated, we don't know if everybody associated with the team is vaccinated, we don't know if their families are vaccinated, etc. That's why they need to get tested daily.

Testing people who aren't exhibiting symptoms is overkill at this point. Are you gonna also test for common cold and flu viruses too? How safe do you want things to be? You aren't getting to zero risk.  Looks like this variant, while very infectous, is not very dangerous.

Edited by Bugg

2 minutes ago, josh said:

I asked a month ago- is anyone getting sick? Like sick or just testing positive. 

No one is getting sick. They're testing positive.

Testing will do more than boosters, now.

But if your goal, in the quoted post, is to help the sport, then follow Jimmy's suggestion and stop testing those that aren't sick. 

Also, if someone is sick but test negative, should they be pulled??

Ive been suggesting not testing healthy players as well. Hell, most of us aren't going out there being tested every day. But Im also under the thought of best way to not get sick or feel any symptoms is by being vaccinated and boosted so that you dont display symptoms. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Testing people who aren't exhibiting symptoms is overkill at this point. Are you gonna also test for common cold and flu viruses too? How safe do you want things to be? You aren't getting to zero risk.  

I don't know what the cold or flu has to do with it, but these players who are testing positive could be coming into contact with unvaccinated staff members and family members.

The only reason people even care about this is because it inconveniences their hobby. God forbid sports are impacted due to a pandemic, right?

Edited by Pete

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know what the cold or flu has to do with it, but these players who are testing positive could be coming into contact with unvaccinated staff members and family members.

The only reason people even care about this is because it inconveniences their hobby. God forbid sports are impacted due to a pandemic, right?

What cold and flu has to do with it is COVID like most viruses as it  peters out (like the Spanish Flu did in 1919) is looking less deadly than it was as it mutates. In the US, among and between causes of death-cancer, car accidents, heart disease, ODs-COVID is pretty far down this list at this time. 52 deaths yesterday, without breaking down among those how many were in ill health already or even had another proximate cause of death?

Again, we should take precautions, and especially with vulnerable people. Inconvenience and hobbies have nothing to do with it. Shutting things down, be they unimportant in the Big Picture, like the NHL, it adds up. It's no longer an inconvenience going on 2 years. Everything has a tradeoff. There's a cost to that. And at this point  is it justified beyond basic precautions? 

Personally we cancelled Christmas Eve and Day plans because one family member  at the last minute recognized he didn't have any sense of taste, and then tested positive. And is now in quarantine, with what amounts to....the common cold. But we were not going to expose a 79 year old relative who has COPD. Again, sensible precautions, not panic. 

Edited by Bugg
  • TroCheckmark 2

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

What cold and flu has to do with it is COVID like most viruses as it  peters out (like the Spanish Flu did in 1919) is looking less deadly than it was as it mutates. In the US, among and between causes of death-cancer, car accidents, heart disease, ODs-COVID is pretty far down this list at this time. 52 deaths yesterday, without breaking down among those how many were in ill health already or even had another proximate cause of death?

Again, we should take precautions, and especially with vulnerable people. Inconvenience and hobbies have nothing to do with it. Shutting things down, be they unimportant in the Big Picture, like the NHL, it adds up. It's no longer an inconvenience going on 2 years. Everything has a tradeoff. There's a cost to that. And at this point  is it justified beyond basic precautions? 

Personally we cancelled Christmas Eve and Day plans because one family member  at the last minute recognized he didn't have any sense of taste, and then tested positive. And is now in quarantine, with what amounts to....the common cold. But we were not going to expose a 79 year old relative who has COPD. Again, sensible precautions, not panic. 

Yes, this strain looks like the mildest.... For now. It also has the most built-in mutations so we are not in the clear yet and being that we have been going on 2 years of this I have no problem with anyone being overly cautious.

• Like 1