• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-2022 Covid Scorecard

Scott

I think it would matter when they got the shots and whether or not they got the booster more recently. I'm not sure if having gotten your second shot back in March 2021 should be enough to make you exempt from being tested regardless of how you're feeling that particular day. But that's just me and just like day one the issue is extremely complicated with no easy answer.

2 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I think it would matter when they got the shots and whether or not they got the booster more recently. I'm not sure if having gotten your second shot back in March 2021 should be enough to make you exempt from being tested regardless of how you're feeling that particular day. But that's just me and just like day one the issue is extremely complicated with no easy answer.

Why does it really matter? Do you get tested daily for your job as a vaccinated person?   I’m sure since most of the NHL is vaccinated (99.9%) so many also probably got the booster. It’s been recommended by the NHL but not required. But the point is, if 99.9% of NHL prospers/staff are vaccinated, what does testing daily do if the majority are those testing positive are asymptomatic? They are all vaccinated. The NFL just changed their policy to only do occasional spot testing of vaccinated players unless they are symptomatic. Players are still given the ability to opt out of the season if they feel uncomfortable. 

If they won’t change their policy, they might as well just shut down the sport now because this is always going to pop up for quite a few seasons. Make boosters a requirement then as well and pick a lane rather than trying to navigate through two. It won’t work. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Friedman mentioned on 32 Thoughts that players liked the testing so they could know if they're bringing it back to their families. 

Like I said, it's bigger than hockey. 

And that’s fine and all but it’s not a service that needs to be mandated daily. Those that are worried can choose to be tested if they wish. Plus many have been given the booster as well and I’m sure have their families also vaccinated. They also have the ability to opt out if they are that concerned. Nothing to do with bigger or lesser than hockey. 

We pulled our kids from school Wednesday to try to avoid being hit with Christmas isolation as it was pretty obvious we're getting smoked where I live right now. Families dropping out like flies. Nobody actually sick, of course.

If we're isolated we're not even able to go for a walk. Everyone in town just waiting for the call from public health.

They sent each kid home with a box of rapid tests. lol.

If they cancel hockey my 12 year old may finally reach his breaking point and go postal.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Friedman mentioned on 32 Thoughts that players liked the testing so they could know if they're bringing it back to their families. 

Like I said, it's bigger than hockey. 

Thank you that's my point, was going to reference the NHL/NHLPA take but needed to go back a research it.

Yes it sucks as a fan, but it's bigger than sports.  I think at least here in this forum at times the focus is on worrying about the season being lost??

Edited by jsrangers

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Are there tons of players standing up saying they don’t want to play this season? I really haven’t seen too many snippets of players looking to boycott the season or games. 

Dunno, that wasn't the point I was making. Just responding to not testing, seems the players want it.

Players don't want to spread it even outside the NHL circle, they realize it's bigger than just canceled games. We're still in the middle of a mutating pandemic. 

Nick Cousins can't be the only guy who feel this way. 

Stamkos: “It's happening all over when you look at all the leagues for whatever reason. The good thing is no one's getting sick, things are working in that regard. Just maybe it's time to finesse some things to make sure we can keep chugging along because it's been a long road.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-covid-19-roundup-lightnings-stamkos-says-long-road/

“The important part going forward, if all these teams come out of it and the players and the staff — and some of the staff are much older than the players and not in the physical shape they’re in — if they come out of it healthy, not be in a hospital, not in an ICU, not on a respirator, then clearly we’re much farther ahead than we were a year ago because there was a lot of uncertainty,” said Cassidy, who had been in the protocol and experienced relatively mild symptoms. “I’m going to assume the vaccine has helped that and now boosters are in place. With that, there’s an opportunity to revisit it. With the protocols going forward, are people getting sick or is it more like the flu? Those are questions for other people. But at the end of the day, the frustration is obviously being out when you’re feeling a little bit down but I think for the most part the players don’t feel like they’re down and out for the 10 days or two weeks. It’s two or three days. That might get looked at. It might not. Those are questions for other people. But the frustration level on the short term is, yeah, guys want to play. It’s what they do for a living. Coaches want to coach, players want to play. They want to work and they want to do it in a safe environment.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/12/16/bruins-notebook-three-more-player-placed-in-covid-protocol/

Islanders’ Barry Trotz disappointed by NHL’s return to COVID protocols

Asked if it felt like they were moving backwards, Zach Parise paused. 

“In some sense,” he said. “You know what? I think the league is doing its best, the best it can to get the games [played], to make sure guys are able to play with the testing that’s happening. At the end of the day, we want to be healthy and play the games.” 

Added Trotz: “I don’t think you want to see everybody go back to lock-down situations. No one does. We’ve had a lot of it. It’s a new reality. I look back at generations before us. We’re dealing with COVID. Generations before us have dealt with a lot worse than we have. Everything from world wars to pandemics in the past that didn’t have the technology that we have now. So we’re a little soft, and we get frustrated a little easier. But it’s the reality.”

https://nypost.com/2021/12/16/islanders-coach-disappointed-by-nhls-return-to-covid-protocols/

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Thank you that's my point, was going to reference the NHL/NHLPA take but needed to go back a research it.

Yes it sucks as a fan, but it's bigger than sports.  I think at least here in this forum at times the focus is on worrying about the season being lost??

I think you’re simplifying it a bit too much. It’s not just about the fans. There are tens of thousands of people that depend on sport X for a paycheck. There are local businesses in or around arenas that depend on fans to increase revenue for whatever sports bar, restaurant, etc.  There is also the mental side of it where us “regular folk” see a sport getting shut down while 99.9% are vaccinated and plenty of teams have full boosters as well. It’s disheartening to everyone, including the same players that seem to want to still play. 

“Players are testing positive with very little symptoms, if any symptoms at all,” said Yzerman. “I don’t see it as a threat to their health at this point, so I think you might take it a step further and question why are we even testing for guys that have no symptoms?”

“The players, I think, ultimately they want to play ... none of the players have come to us and said, ‘Hey we should shut this down.’ If they feel that way they haven’t expressed that to us,” said Yzerman. “I think our players have been very positive in that, ‘Just tell us what we need to do and we’ll do it.’ They’ve been acceptive of the protocols, whether they like them or not is irrelevant, but they’ve been willing to do them.”

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2021/12/20/steve-yzerman-why-are-we-even-testing-for-guys-that-have-no-symptoms/

Yzerman makes a good point too

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

We pulled our kids from school Wednesday to try to avoid being hit with Christmas isolation as it was pretty obvious we're getting smoked where I live right now. Families dropping out like flies. Nobody actually sick, of course.

If we're isolated we're not even able to go for a walk. Everyone in town just waiting for the call from public health.

They sent each kid home with a box of rapid tests. lol.

If they cancel hockey my 12 year old may finally reach his breaking point and go postal.

I mentioned in the other thread about my wife answering the phone from "contact tracers" (that's whats on the caller id) 10 minutes before we leave for a hockey game. Wtf!!!

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nothing there says players don't want to be tested.

Stamkos - “I don’t know if we need to change things up in the amount of testing….” In the video part of the link I shared.

Yzerman also said  “I don’t see it as a threat to their health at this point, so I think you might take it a step further and question why are we even testing for guys that have no symptoms?

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Stamkos - “I don’t know if we need to change things up in the amount of testing….” In the video part of the link I shared.

Yzerman also said  “I don’t see it as a threat to their health at this point, so I think you might take it a step further and question why are we even testing for guys that have no symptoms?

I think players want to be tested for the health of their families, and ensure with all the travel, and everything that comes with it, they're not exposing others at home. 

I think they also seem frustrated that players without symptoms are held out for 10 days.

2 minutes ago, josh said:

I think players want to be tested for the health of their families, and ensure with all the travel, and everything that comes with it, they're not exposing others at home. 

I think they also seem frustrated that players without symptoms are held out for 10 days.

That’s probably right. I’m not really suggesting they can’t be tested. I’m suggesting, as some in the NHL have said and other leagues like the NFL have changed, that maybe it’s time to not mandate daily testing. If they want to, it’s there. It’s not like they have to wait online at CityMD. There definitely is some frustration in terms of vaccinated and boosted players being held out despite feeling perfectly fine. 

It’s a fine line for sure. 

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Do we really want asymptomatic players potentially exposing Kakko? Or far Lafreniere? Injury prone shesterkin? I mean, Henrik had a heart defect we didn't know about... who knows what else is out there 

Everyone knows krispy kreme naturally combats Covid. 

• LOL 2

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That’s probably right. I’m not really suggesting they can’t be tested. I’m suggesting, as some in the NHL have said and other leagues like the NFL have changed, that maybe it’s time to not mandate daily testing. If they want to, it’s there. It’s not like they have to wait online at CityMD. There definitely is some frustration in terms of vaccinated and boosted players being held out despite feeling perfectly fine. 

It’s a fine line for sure. 

Then you are pressuring guys to not test. 

Do I want to bring this home to my diabetic mother, or cancer-battling sibling? 

Thats exactly why they want to test.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Then you are pressuring guys to not test. 

Do I want to bring this home to my diabetic mother, or cancer-battling sibling? 

Thats exactly why they want to test.

We are talking about nhl players/personnel themselves saying maybe there can be some tweaking to the testing. Offering them a choice to test is not pressuring them to do anything. It’s what some are asking for and being how readily available it is to each team, I imagine it wouldn’t be too big of an issue. the entire league is vaccinated and from what i5 seems like, many are also fully boostered. It seems there are some rumblings to tweak this.

There were players that opted out originally when the league first resumed in 19/20. They weren’t ostracized from the league. 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

We are talking about nhl players/personnel themselves saying maybe there can be some tweaking to the testing. Offering them a choice to test is not pressuring them to do anything. It’s what some are asking for and being how readily available it is to each team, I imagine it wouldn’t be too big of an issue. the entire league is vaccinated and from what i5 seems like, many are also fully boostered. It seems there are some rumblings to tweak this.

There were players that opted out originally when the league first resumed in 19/20. They weren’t ostracized from the league. 

Let's be honest, if we were NHL players we wouldn't get tested. Fuck, it's just a broken leg, I can go. You're a hockey player, get up. Youth players taking flu medicine between periods. 

You know the hockey mentality. 

That's putting a completely different pressure on them. Single Jimmy vesey is different than some guy living with a family. Ovechkin still live with his parents? 

I'm good with updating testing procedures but we have to be cognizant of the hockey environment