• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Preseason Game #6: Rangers @ Islanders, 7pm, MSG

Phil

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What was someone saying about Chytil?

Kid just needs the opportunity and to stay healthy.  

I mean, we've always known he was gifted offensively. His issues are asserting himself consistently and a lack of any defensive game. The hat trick was great from him, but I don't think he really did much else tonight. This doesn't prove we're out of the woods with him at all.

• Like 1

I mean, nah I highly doubt they're shaken up by losing a pre-season game and Trots has been around the block a few times I think they'll be ok. They only have to worry about us 4 times this regular season.

We played well sure. But let's get the season started when games actually matter.

Edited by jsrangers

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I mean, we've always known he was gifted offensively. His issues are asserting himself consistently and a lack of any defensive game. The hat trick was great from him, but I don't think he really did much else tonight. This doesn't prove we're out of the woods with him at all.

Didn't do much else besides win the game with a hat trick. Like.... come on man..  that's a good game.  What else did you want him to do? Winning the game and scoring (I believe) the last 3 goals of the game... Winning it. 

It doesn't prove we are out of the woods,  but it's looking like he's heading into the season on a better note than we thought he would be. He didn't do much this preseason, but this was a breakout game. 

Let's not forget HIS line was the best line going for the team last season, until he got injured. He stunk for most of the rest of the season and seemed to be a no show up until tonight. All he needs is an opportunity and I think the kid will shine. Give him skill on his line. Put him in offensive situations. This is what you get.

He's not a perimeter player and he finds himself in the front and side of the net when he doesn't have the puck. He needs and deserves more looks than he's gotten. Being an offensive minded player, playing behind Zibanejad and Strome, hasn't exactly made that possible. That's a tall task for anyone to overtake. He's still awfully young too. I love this kid and really wish they had a spot for him that suits his game. He doesn't exactly fit as a 3rd liner. 

Much like Kakko and Lafreniere, I feel the Rangers lost an opportunity to try this kid in a role in the top 6,  LAST season. Lafreniere got the opportunity when Kreider went down,  and he looked sooo much better and confident. Chytil never got a sniff. 

Let's hope this game wakes him back up, and makes it hard for Gallant to keep him off the ice. Another weapon can only help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Didn't do much else besides win the game with a hat trick. Like.... come on man..  that's a good game.  What else did you want him to do? Winning the game and scoring (I believe) the last 3 goals of the game... Winning it. 

It doesn't prove we are out of the woods,  but it's looking like he's heading into the season on a better note than we thought he would be. He didn't do much this preseason, but this was a breakout game. 

Let's not forget HIS line was the best line going for the team last season, until he got injured. He stunk for most of the rest of the season and seemed to be a no show up until tonight. All he needs is an opportunity and I think the kid will shine. Give him skill on his line. Put him in offensive situations. This is what you get.

He's not a perimeter player and he finds himself in the front and side of the net when he doesn't have the puck. He needs and deserves more looks than he's gotten. Being an offensive minded player, playing behind Zibanejad and Strome, hasn't exactly made that possible. That's a tall task for anyone to overtake. He's still awfully young too. I love this kid and really wish they had a spot for him that suits his game. He doesn't exactly fit as a 3rd liner. 

Much like Kakko and Lafreniere, I feel the Rangers lost an opportunity to try this kid in a role in the top 6,  LAST season. Lafreniere got the opportunity when Kreider went down,  and he looked sooo much better and confident. Chytil never got a sniff. 

Let's hope this game wakes him back up, and makes it hard for Gallant to keep him off the ice. Another weapon can only help. 

We are out of the woods. We have to be. We hired a Stanley cup finals coach, added veterans, and are looking to name a captain in the coming days that I assume will be announced on opening night lineup right after hinting his extension (assuming Zib although I’d like Strome). We are here to make noise. We are here to make the playoffs and knock out a team or two that takes us lightly. We are now a mix of young guys and veterans with no success that are hungry. Fuck Eichel. Fuck player X,y,or z. We go into the lions den next week saying “come try it with us.” We come for ,not a fight, but for a battle. This season coming into NSG will be more like coming into the lions den and just being happy to escape not too banged up. You at home. This Is the 21/22 Rangers. 

• Like 1

GG but ultimately yes it's preseason and not really an indicator of anything. 

It's bettee to score goals than not so yay Chytil, but he's just not a center and the team is loaded on the wings so there's really no role for him.

The players I'm really concerned about is Lafreniere. He's not playing good, smart, engaged hockey. He handles the puck like he doesn't want it. 

22 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Seems like we're a little too used to not having nice things. The "yeah, but..." sentiment after wins is pretty depressing.

The team has looked good in camp. I'm excited to get this thing started. This feels like it could be a fun year from the jump. 

Yeah but, preseason is preseason.

Big picture of this team needs a handful of players to make significant leaps if they're going to make the playoffs.

Kakko: looks great

Lafreniere: looks terrible

Miller: looks terrible

Kravtsov: TBD, he was hurt

Chytil: outside of last night, and even through much of last night, looks completely lost.

I also don't agree that they've looked good in camp, it's been a pretty mixed bag. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah but, preseason is preseason.

Big picture of this team needs a handful of players to make significant leaps if they're going to make the playoffs.

Kakko: looks great

Lafreniere: looks terrible

Miller: looks terrible

Kravtsov: TBD, he was hurt

Chytil: outside of last night, and even through much of last night, looks completely lost.

I also don't agree that they've looked good in camp, it's been a pretty mixed bag. 

You're the first say "it's preseason" and then complain that every looks "terrible." 

If "it's preseason" is the excuse to downplay good play, it should also the excuse to absolve mediocre play, no?

I'm just remembering how much we all complained about the team that won the presidents trophy. Like, yeah, there's always something that could be better. There's no such thing as perfection. But when you think back on that team compared to the last 3 years it sucks to think I wasn't satisfied with that team. 

I'm looking at this team now, a team that just missed the playoffs last year, and I'm seeing positive growth. I'm seeing defined roles. I'm seeing a coach with experience. Preseason can show you a lot. And I've really liked what I've seen.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

We are out of the woods. We have to be. We hired a Stanley cup finals coach, added veterans, and are looking to name a captain in the coming days that I assume will be announced on opening night lineup right after hinting his extension (assuming Zib although I’d like Strome). We are here to make noise. We are here to make the playoffs and knock out a team or two that takes us lightly. We are now a mix of young guys and veterans with no success that are hungry. Fuck Eichel. Fuck player X,y,or z. We go into the lions den next week saying “come try it with us.” We come for ,not a fight, but for a battle. This season coming into NSG will be more like coming into the lions den and just being happy to escape not too banged up. You at home. This Is the 21/22 Rangers. 

“Not being out of the woods.” Was in reference to Chytil still having largely the same issues as before. Which is true. The offense from him is great but you need him to continue developing as a center. I haven’t noticed a change in his game that indicates progress there.

It might be too early to say the team is out of the woods but they at least have a map and someone who can read it. There are a lot more positives to the team as a collective than there were this season. The fact they’re working together means they’ll mask certain deficiencies but that won’t always stand true. You still need players built for their roles and Chytil still needs to prove that he’s a center and one that can play both sides of the ice.