• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo Moves On

Phil

56 minutes ago, josh said:

In hockey, we call this putting a player in a spot to be successful and play to his strengths.

Sure, I'm just saying you can't take this situation as apples to apples. He's not a 70-point defender on this team. He took Hamilton's PP1 spot on a team with elite offense. He'd get neither here.

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Look at the numbers of Burns and Karlsson since they've been on the same team.  There are only so many offensive opportunities.  Fox is getting those.  The rest of the d group needs to be able to defend.  

They need a little help on offense and a guy that can and will shoot. Had em. Waived em. He's now putting up a point per game. 

Jesus christ I can't believe I'm trying to explain how this was bad asset management. If you hate the guy that much, fine. Just stop trying to make excuses for your dislike of the player. Just say you don't like him or his views and stay out of the topic about moving on..  You obviously haven't. 

• TroCheckmark 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

He gets 70 points because he gets sheltered ES minutes, an insane OZs differential, and number one PP time he wouldn't get here. He'd probably be a 40-point defender, though.

Why wouldn't any of that happen here? Lundkvist gets sheltered minutes and does nothing with them. . He would absolutely be on the top PP unit here. Why not? Who'd block him? Trouba? Don't forget, he was waived LAST season. The season he may have had LAST season should be in question too. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Sure, I'm just saying you can't take this situation as apples to apples. He's not a 70-point defender on this team. He took Hamilton's PP1 spot on a team with elite offense. He'd get neither here.

First off,, he earned the job after people questioned if he could even play at a high level, since the Rangers waived him. Slaving was given the job and DeAngelo took it. 

Again. Can't give the guy credit. Now it's an elite offense as to why he's doing well.   

Amazing. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Why wouldn't any of that happen here? Lundkvist gets sheltered minutes and does nothing with them. . He would absolutely be on the top PP unit here. Why not? Who'd block him? Trouba? Don't forget, he was waived LAST season. The season he may have had LAST season should be in question too. 

I'm guessing the guy who beat him for that spot and subsequently won the fuckin Norris trophy might be the one blocking him from being on that first unit. 

Just a hunch though.

• TroCheckmark 1

Tony’s playing great in Carolina which I’m happy for but he is and now always will be second to Fox on this team in minutes and opportunities. And he should be, Fox is a special player.

in hindsight tho, we will never know what happened behind the scenes, but on paper it’s a shame it wound up this way. Could easily play in miller’s spot and get 4-on-4 plus pp2 time. Have to trust the decision tho had nothing to do with on ice play

4 hours ago, G1000 said:

I'm guessing the guy who beat him for that spot and subsequently won the fuckin Norris trophy might be the one blocking him from being on that first unit. 

Just a hunch though.

Oh. Didn't know there could only be one D man on the first PP unit.. 2 righty Dmen on the PP point has probably never been done before. You know like NOW, or how it wasn't done LAST YEAR, OR EVEN THE YEAR PRIOR, when 77 and 23 were back there.  

Right. Could never fucking happen.  

Edited by The Dude

I mean he was ultimately waived for his antics with Georgiev, not his play.  I wouldn’t mind him if he wasn’t such a headcase, but he’s been one for many many years, not just with the Rangers…don’t need that with a young team trying to establish an identity.  Good riddance

Edited by Vodka Drunkenski
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Oh. Didn't know there could only be one D man on the first PP unit.. 2 righty Dmen on the PP point has probably never been done before. You know like NOW, or how it wasn't done LAST YEAR, OR EVEN THE YEAR PRIOR, when 77 and 23 were back there.  

Right. Could never fucking happen.  

Except it won't on this team. He's not replacing Zib or Panarin on either side of the point, so while it could happen elsewhere, it won't on this team. We run 90 seconds of the 120 - minimum - with Panarin, Fox, Strome, Kreider, Zib. I don't really care how hot your flame burns for the guy, he ain't replacing any of them. 

He found a spot that works for him really well, where he plays zero difficult minutes and gets to do his best work (PP time) with three players who flat out know how to crash the net and score. Absolutely perfect fit for him. 

5 hours ago, G1000 said:

Except it won't on this team. He's not replacing Zib or Panarin on either side of the point, so while it could happen elsewhere, it won't on this team. We run 90 seconds of the 120 - minimum - with Panarin, Fox, Strome, Kreider, Zib. I don't really care how hot your flame burns for the guy, he ain't replacing any of them. 

He found a spot that works for him really well, where he plays zero difficult minutes and gets to do his best work (PP time) with three players who flat out know how to crash the net and score. Absolutely perfect fit for him. 

Yeah, no way they could bounce Strome from that line and put Zibanejad there. No way 

BTW most of his points are even strength.  But, please do go on.  

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, no way they could bounce Strome from that line and put Zibanejad there. No way 

BTW most of his points are even strength.  But, please do go on.  

Not much of a point in it. His role here would be wildly different than his role with the Canes is, and you don't really care for that dose of reality. 

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

Not much of a point in it. His role here would be wildly different than his role with the Canes is, and you don't really care for that dose of reality. 

Well yes and no. A few things.  I agree it would be reduced but not too different. I’d be willing to bet that Gallant would role with who’s hot on any given pp. Mostly that’s going to be Fox but Gallant isn’t afraid to role guys clicking at any given time. I love using Fox everywhere, but I’d like him fresh for all 82 rather than being run down by game 65. Also, if there were more options on pp 2, there’s more reason to not have pp1 on so long. Also, 3 v 3 we absolutely do miss ADA. I’m not even sure why Gallant hasn’t used Lundkvist there yet in unit two. 3 v 3 is tailored toward mobile offensive possession D and not Trouba who has been a nightmare out there lol.  I don’t even want to think what happens if Fox gets hurt. Yikes. 
     I actually think the third pair on an NHL roster is perfect for a second offensive D, especially one with elite offensive talent from the backend. That’s a problem I’d l8ke to have lol. Really screws up game plans for the opposition. Bottom line though is ADA was never staying here past this year. It’s a bit different than the Buch situation if there is any correlation because he was still under contract. It wasn’t a case yet of us not being able to retain him. That was next year. This is a case of us allowing a division opponent play him still partly under our dollar. Oh well. 

4 hours ago, josh said:

Deangelo could take some of fox's minutes and Fox can take some of Troubas. 

NO. HE. COULDN'T.

Face the reality! He has no place the league. He's only scoring not on the PP on an offensive juggernaut. He can't play anywhere but in Carolina. 

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

NO. HE. COULDN'T.

Face the reality! He has no place the league. He's only scoring not on the PP on an offensive juggernaut. He can't play anywhere but in Carolina. 

31 of his 53 points came not on the PP on the non juggernaut NY Rangers two seasons ago. He obviously is an NHL player and can obviously succeed whether people like him or not.

17 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

31 of his 53 points came not on the PP on the non juggernaut NY Rangers two seasons ago. He obviously is an NHL player and can obviously succeed whether people like him or not.

I'm being super sarcastic and poking fun at others, whom say DeAngelo only produces on the PP. Which isn't true. If you follow the thread I'm likely in agreement with you on the player and the situation.  

Edited by The Dude
  • Cheers 1

And all for politics.  Pathetic.  Just a thought but Ada is actually a better pp qb than Fox is anyway.  Of course Fox is the more complete player but Carolinas PP isn't number 1 by accident and the Rangers pp wasn't better when ADA was around by accident either.