• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Comparing Vegas to Seattle doesn't even make sense, GMs now experienced with the process and didn't make foolish trades like the Panthers trading R.Smith to Vegas so they would draft Marchessault. If half of the UFAs for next summer are available Seattle is better off giving 3 or 4 of them $7.5-10mil a year than Price, JVR, Tarasenko, Duchene. Why would Seattle want to bail these teams out of these contracts and free them up as competition in next years UFA frenzy? For what to sell some Jerseys for a guy like Tarasenko they'll be trying to get rid of by mid-season? Seattle is going to be in a weak division will be a tough team to play against could grace .500 of better then their competition in cap space will be the Sabres, Devils, Red Wings, Senators.

Yes, exactly.

You sell some jerseys, get some excitement and some goals, then flip him at the deadline since he only has 1 year left and is an attractive option for any playoff team especially if you retain salary which seattle is completely capable of doing.

Huge miss here by francis IMO.

Yes, exactly.

You sell some jerseys, get some excitement and some goals, then flip him at the deadline since he only has 1 year left and is an attractive option for any playoff team especially if you retain salary which seattle is completely capable of doing.

Huge miss here by francis IMO.

Who's buying a jersey knowing the guy is getting traded before the inaugural season is over?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Who's buying a jersey knowing the guy is getting traded before the inaugural season is over?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A) when have you ever seen a team come out and say "yea we will trade him at the deadline" in September?

B) People who want Seattle jerseys is who... whats the alternative? Giordano? Dunn? People will always buy a stars jersey.

Comparing Vegas to Seattle doesn't even make sense, GMs now experienced with the process and didn't make foolish trades like the Panthers trading R.Smith to Vegas so they would draft Marchessault. If half of the UFAs for next summer are available Seattle is better off giving 3 or 4 of them $7.5-10mil a year than Price, JVR, Tarasenko, Duchene. Why would Seattle want to bail these teams out of these contracts and free them up as competition in next years UFA frenzy? For what to sell some Jerseys for a guy like Tarasenko they'll be trying to get rid of by mid-season? Seattle is going to be in a weak division will be a tough team to play against could grace .500 of better then their competition in cap space will be the Sabres, Devils, Red Wings, Senators.

I think it makes perfect sense to compare the two teams; they are both new franchises expansion drafting within 4 years of each other under more or less the same rules and structure. Seattle even has the benefit of trying to emulate the best practices of what Vegas did, and potentially avoid some of the mistakes that they made which were not many. What are Dom Luszczyszyn and myself missing here comparing the only 2 expansion drafts the last 20 years?

And btw tell me about this big free agent bonanza for Summer on 2022-23. Who is out there for Seattle to build around? 35 year old Evegni Malkin? 37 year old Joe Pavelski? 38 year old Ryan Kesler? If anything the crop of free agents next Summer looks particularly depressing. While Price, JVR, Tarasenko, Duchene all have their flaws and can be considered over valued vs. their contracts, all of them are on the correct side of 35 and really don't have more than 2 years on their contracts besides Duchene & Price.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2023?signing-status=ufa

Finally, and yes franchises make money by selling jerseys with marquee players names on them; do you think anyone is rushing to the NHL store for their Haydn Fleury jersey. Even more so they go to games to watch stars score goals. Who knows what Seattle will do between now and next week to fill that void, so they get an Inc. grade for the time being. But you can't really think going into this season with this current roster is a smart business strategy.

I think it makes perfect sense to compare the two teams; they are both new franchises expansion drafting within 4 years of each other under more or less the same rules and structure. Seattle even has the benefit of trying to emulate the best practices of what Vegas did, and potentially avoid some of the mistakes that they made which were not many. What are Dom Luszczyszyn and myself missing here comparing the only 2 expansion drafts the last 20 years?

And btw tell me about this big free agent bonanza for Summer on 2022-23. Who is out there for Seattle to build around? 35 year old Evegni Malkin? 37 year old Joe Pavelski? 38 year old Ryan Kesler? If anything the crop of free agents next Summer looks particularly depressing. While Price, JVR, Tarasenko, Duchene all have their flaws and can be considered over valued vs. their contracts, all of them are on the correct side of 35 and really don't have more than 2 years on their contracts besides Duchene & Price.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2023?signing-status=ufa

Finally, and yes franchises make money by selling jerseys with marquee players names on them; do you think anyone is rushing to the NHL store for their Haydn Fleury jersey. Even more so they go to games to watch stars score goals. Who knows what Seattle will do between now and next week to fill that void, so they get an Inc. grade for the time being. But you can't really think going into this season with this current roster is a smart business strategy.

Gaudreau, Forsberg, Barkov, Zibanejad, Strome, Hertl, Couturier, Malkin, Pavelski, Trocheck, Jones, Klingberg, Palat, Nurse, Kessel, Bergeron, Rielly, Rakell… like I said if half are available… but glad you wasted your time on cap friendly to pick out the name Kesler to make an argument against my opinion.

Horvat is only two years younger than Zib. That’s not really much of a comparable for the Brass-Zib trade. EP would be but I’m not sure what sense it would make from Vancouver’s perspective. Zib could just walk next season and I’m not sure if he’d waive for Vancouver to begin with.

If he sees what Drury has done so far and then is actually approached to waive, which would be so stupid, I think he'll strongly consider getting out of here.

Perhaps we're about to score ourselves Seattles 2022 2nd round pick and Nathan Bastian so we can be harder to play against.

Maybe the silly Horvat rumor the other day really should have said Zib and a 7th for Horvat and a 2nd. A re-hash of Brassard for Zib.

I would make that trade and yes that would make more sense. Of course I heard that Vancouver is in need of right wings though, lol.

Do NOT trade Zibenejad. We already shipped out one goal scorer for a questionable return. Zibs and Panarin are our most talented vet scorers on the team. Don't do the overhaul thing to this team Drury! Hate when a new GM wants to put his stamp on a team and overdoes it.

Zibanejad captain? Landeskog to NYR to reunite with Zib? This off season has been a roller coaster.

Really excited for this team in 21/22. Quite an identity change. Top 6 has changed, bottom 6 has changed, coach has changed.

Laf-Zib-CK20

Panarin-Strome-Kakko

Goodrow-Chytil-Kravtsov

Blais-Barron-Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Lundkvist

I'm feeling pretty good about this lineup. Multiple players who can play up and down the line up and lots of depth. Kinkaid will be lining up as our backup it seems, which could be shored up before the season starts but LGR!!!

I would make that trade and yes that would make more sense. Of course I heard that Vancouver is in need of right wings though, lol.

Mind telling me what position the recently acquired Conor Garland plays?

https://www.nhl.com/player/conor-garland-8478856

Oh, is it right wing? Why, it most certainly is. What an interesting observation - it looks like Vancouver went out and made a trade to acquire a right wing to fill a clear need in their roster.

Strange how that works.

Kind of strange timing to name a captain, no? Unless its coming part and parcel with an extension.

Hope its an extension.

I could be wrong but I don’t think they’re allowed to sign an extension until January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk