• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Am I crazy for thinking that Sam Rheinhart could have been the long term answer for 2C?

Florida just traded for him and gave up essentially a lottery protected 1st round pick and a former 7th round draft pick, for a legitimate career .65 points/game 2C. He is an rfa and will probably score 7-7.5 million if he goes to arbitration, but is 25 years old so signing him to a 6-7 year deal takes him just a couple of seasons past his prime. What am I missing here?

Am I crazy for thinking that Sam Rheinhart could have been the long term answer for 2C?

Florida just traded for him and gave up essentially a lottery protected 1st round pick and a former 7th round draft pick, for a legitimate career .65 points/game 2C. He is an rfa and will probably score 7-7.5 million if he goes to arbitration, but is 25 years old so signing him to a 6-7 year deal takes him just a couple of seasons past his prime. What am I missing here?

He's a good player on a real bad team. Wouldn't be shocked to see him just go off next season

Almost seems like... Given the market... Buch deal makes sense.

Yeah. I'd have liked a bit more but it's clear the market is what the market is and that sucks for teans trying to trade top 3 tweeters like Buch and Reinhart.

It's all about the cap not the player. The Rangers limited their return by valuing cap space over getting back a better talent with a larger cap hit and term. When you see this market playing out, it may just seem like Ron Francis does know what he is doing.

Gonna be honest. It took me a second to digest the Buch trade, but I'm pretty damn excited for this team next year. Goodrow + Blais + Gallant. Bigger roles for Kakko, Krav and Lafreniere. Likely adding Lundkvist into the mix. I still expect another depth signing but this team could be really fun to watch next season. A little bigger. A little meaner. Plenty of guys with something to prove...

Gonna be honest. It took me a second to digest the Buch trade, but I'm pretty damn excited for this team next year. Goodrow + Blais + Gallant. Bigger roles for Kakko, Krav and Lafreniere. Likely adding Lundkvist into the mix. I still expect another depth signing but this team could be really fun to watch next season. A little bigger. A little meaner. Plenty of guys with something to prove...

Same. The addition of real, genuine straight line players is going to make next season so much more interesting knowing it won't be the same style of play every single night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same. The addition of real, genuine straight line players is going to make next season so much more interesting knowing it won't be the same style of play every single night.

2019-2021 Rangers - No you shoot. No YOU shoot. No you shoot.

2021-22 Rangers - Shoot and the three of us will crash the net and harass the defense until we score or get gassed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Barclay said in his interview he's here to be a leader for the team and that made my heart sing. I can really only think of Trouba grabbing that role by the horns last season. Three rings and a few final appearances on the roster now. Should make a world of difference.

Barclay said in his interview he's here to be a leader for the team and that made my heart sing. I can really only think of Trouba grabbing that role by the horns last season. Three rings and a few final appearances on the roster now. Should make a world of difference.
I wish I could say I'm excited, but I'm really just thinking this many new players will need half a season to even find their groove. And I think the team will struggle mightily to score.

I wish I could say I'm excited, but I'm really just thinking this many new players will need half a season to even find their groove. And I think the team will struggle mightily to score.

Lets not overreact to one half decent scorer being traded away.

We still have a bunch of potential 20+ goal scorers on this team right now:

Panarin

Zibenejad

Kreider

Lafreniere (12 in 56 as a rookie, should easily reach 20+ as a 2nd year in 82)

Kaako (entering year 3 with a better coach will likely play on a top 2 line)

Kravstov (very talented and has went through some growing last couple years)

And Strome is a high assist guy

And then some pretty offensively skilled defensemen

Our problem is not scoring really. It was getting beat up by the better teams.

not losing a prospect has been a big positive thus far

Lets not overreact to one half decent scorer being traded away.

We still have a bunch of potential 20+ goal scorers on this team right now:

Panarin

Zibenejad

Kreider

Lafreniere (12 in 56 as a rookie, should easily reach 20+ as a 2nd year in 82)

Kaako (entering year 3 with a better coach will likely play on a top 2 line)

Kravstov (very talented and has went through some growing last couple years)

And Strome is a high assist guy

And then some pretty offensively skilled defensemen

Our problem is not scoring really. It was getting beat up by the better teams.

So our problem is we lose when the other team is better? Seems like a common problem in sports LOL.

Don't really see how it's "overreacting". Lots of new faces and a new coach. Chemistry doesn't happen overnight.

Rangers were 10th in the NHL in scoring at 3.14 but the margin for GA was tight at 2.77 against... And we removed a good offensive player and PKer. There's an impact there.

I'm hoping it's mitigated by growth from other players but there are no guarantees.

Zibanejad in a contract year?

True but Howden wasn't very good at killing penalties or doing anything really
He got almost as much time as Zib and Buch on a top 10 PK unit. I'm not going to discount that. Whatever you want to say about Howden, someone else has to eat those minutes. Not sure who's going to do it although Baron was getting a good amount of PK time when he came up.

He got almost as much time as Zib and Buch on a top 10 PK unit. I'm not going to discount that. Whatever you want to say about Howden, someone else has to eat those minutes. Not sure who's going to do it although Baron was getting a good amount of PK time when he came up.

I think you'll see Goodrow out there for sure, Barron out there...wouldn't be too shocked to see Kakko take a few whacks at it, would be much more shocked if we went into the season with the plan being Kakko taking those minutes right off the bat.

I'd expect a UFA signing like Martinook or something to that effect to fill the gap.