• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think it matters a ton when you can't speak English. Outside of that, it's irrelevant.

Most European and Canadian atheletes who come over speak good enough English.

It's really the Russians who say GFY.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Most European and Canadian atheletes who come over speak good enough English.

It's really the Russians who say GFY.

Yup. Most Europeans are also taught both languages, so the barrier is minimal, if it exists at all. When's the last time you saw a Swede come over, for example, who couldn't speak both languages fluently? Same for Finns. The only time I've ever really seen this be an issue is with a handful of Czech players and predominantly Russians.

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yanni Gourde. Yes yes I’m told they wouldn’t part with him and eat salary, but Seattle is trash. Less points than the Sabres and they clearly drafted guys for deadline sales. 
ask them to retain 50% and send Chytil, Lundkvist, Kravtsov. I don’t care how h fly that is. It gives 3 more years of an experienced cup winning Franco Canadian center to help Alf, provide experience, and be a real C for the third line that we need. None of those three traded involved for us will ever be anything on this team. Solidifying the third line to be productive and have that C for it until 2025 or so is perfect. 

if we're going big this is where to go. Send them a huge package of assets we don't need and let's get the guy that fits into 3c. lafreniere, this guy, and barclay goodrow are going to be an outrageous third line. hunt can play with panarin and kakko can stay where he is. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I kinda like the player, but I too don't see why they would be trading the only player they have with term.  Plus, are they just going to start grabbing ex Lightning players like they did Edmonton players in the early 90s? 

He's kinda small too. 5'9 175? I guess. But not at that price. Maybe just Chytil and a pick. The package yore presenting is what some are suggesting for Giroux.   

I mean sure, if 2-3 ex lightning players gets us a cup I’ll sign up for that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Just to note, Gourde has a full NTC list until the summer, then a 23 team NTC kicks in. With that kind of trade protection, you have to think he just doesn't want to to anywhere.

Also, I don't get the Franco thing. Everyone thinks we have to get players of the same nationality...He's on a line with a French Canadian and it isn't helping. Lundkvist is paired with a Swede and that's not helping either.

He does have a full ntc but we have seen players move with that. It just 100% is up to the player. I don’t think it’s like the Trouba situation. Gourde never told the lightning he wants to leave and only wants to go to team X. 

22 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He does have a full ntc but we have seen players move with that. It just 100% is up to the player. I don’t think it’s like the Trouba situation. Gourde never told the lightning he wants to leave and only wants to go to team X. 

Not to mention I don't see why he wouldn't waive it to move from a sinking expansion team to a rising NYR team with his good buddy Barclay.

28 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not to mention I don't see why he wouldn't waive it to move from a sinking expansion team to a rising NYR team with his good buddy Barclay.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. And Seattle clearly went through the draft. Ole ting assets to possibly trade. I have a hard time thinking they said “let’s make a 30 year old Gourde the cornerstone of our franchise.” 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

I kinda like the player, but I too don't see why they would be trading the only player they have with term.  Plus, are they just going to start grabbing ex Lightning players like they did Edmonton players in the early 90s? 

He's kinda small too. 5'9 175? I guess. But not at that price. Maybe just Chytil and a pick. The package yore presenting is what some are suggesting for Giroux.   

Giroux is a full on rental. Gourde has term left that is reasonable. The package I’m suggesting may seem steep, but it’s to get a 3c at half retention or so. That’s going to need some serious pieces on our end. 

A couple of things. We have to stop thinking Chytil by himself is a piece. He’s not. His larger body of work stinks. He’s a reclamation project for a GM. The other thing is I personally highly doubt Drury would be willing to trade serious pieces within our division just for tb3 simple fact that it’s suicide if they blossom into what we expected them to be when we drafted them. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone wants to play in NY.

I'm not against the player at all, I'm just saying it may not be as easy as "just go get him" as I agree that it's doubtful Seattle retains money for no reason.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Shea Weber, Chara, Guerin, there is a good sized list. 

Right. And not insignificant names, either. Cullen signed after that Cup win with Carolina and asked out in year one for similar reasons.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. And not insignificant names, either. Cullen signed after that Cup win with Carolina and asked out in year one for similar reasons.

Who was it, Semenov, who is basically practicing with the team but his wife wouldn't let him sign here? LOL

Just now, Pete said:

Who was it, Semenov, who is basically practicing with the team but his wife wouldn't let him sign here? LOL

Yup. I remember that shot of him sitting in the stands talking to Slats basically like "bro, I want to sign, but she won't let me."

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Giroux is a full on rental. Gourde has term left that is reasonable. The package I’m suggesting may seem steep, but it’s to get a 3c at half retention or so. That’s going to need some serious pieces on our end. 

A couple of things. We have to stop thinking Chytil by himself is a piece. He’s not. His larger body of work stinks. He’s a reclamation project for a GM. The other thing is I personally highly doubt Drury would be willing to trade serious pieces within our division just for tb3 simple fact that it’s suicide if they blossom into what we expected them to be when we drafted them. 

I mean he 5'9.

I seriously always hate trying to cherry pick other teams lower line players and trying to recapture something they were a part of with a team that had insane depth and star power. 

Goodrow was supposed to be that 3rd line center, and the fucking guy is producing dog shit and not even playing center here. So, are we just going to add Lightning players untwe are the 2019- 20 Lightning? 

He's a good player, and a solid playoff performer.  I just don't think he's that player away from Tampa. Much like Goodrow.  They were smaller pieces of a big puzzle.  They haven't done much away from Tampa.  

I'd take him. But not at the cost you're suggesting.  I'd rather get a player who can slot up or replace Strome if his negotiations go bad. Someone that can also carry a 3rd line with the players that are here. Is Gourde going to bring out the best in Lafreniere or Gauthier?  I'm not as certain that he could.

A Giroux or Pavelski I think could. Those guys make those around them better. I really don't see Gourde in that light, which is fine. But not at the cost differential.

I'll take the rental that is the difference maker over a guy that needs a supporting cast. IF the price is the same.  

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone wants to play in NY.

I'm not against the player at all, I'm just saying it may not be as easy as "just go get him" as I agree that it's doubtful Seattle retains money for no reason.

I never said everyone wants to play in NY. I’m not even sure what made you say that out of nowhere.  Obviously if he didn’t want to come here the point is moot but none of us know what teams he would allow a trade to. If he had a full ntc for years I wouldn’t even be bringing him up. His ntc goes to a limited one after this season and he’s currently on one of the worst teams in the league while he’s 30. It’s not that much of a stretch to think maybe he doesn’t want to spend the last few productive years of his game on a team starting from scratch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I mean he 5'9.

I seriously always hate trying to cherry pick other teams lower line players and trying to recapture something they were a part of with a team that had insane depth and star power. 

Goodrow was supposed to be that 3rd line center, and the fucking guy is producing dog shit and not even playing center here. So, are we just going to add Lightning players untwe are the 2019- 20 Lightning? 

He's a good player, and a solid playoff performer.  I just don't think he's that player away from Tampa. Much like Goodrow.  They were smaller pieces of a big puzzle.  They haven't done much away from Tampa.  

I'd take him. But not at the cost you're suggesting.  I'd rather get a player who can slot up or replace Strome if his negotiations go bad. Someone that can also carry a 3rd line with the players that are here. Is Gourde going to bring out the best in Lafreniere or Gauthier?  I'm not as certain that he could.

A Giroux or Pavelski I think could. Those guys make those around them better. I really don't see Gourde in that light, which is fine. But not at the cost differential.

I'll take the rental that is the difference maker over a guy that needs a supporting cast. IF the price is the same.  

Why do you keep saying he’s 5’9 though? So what?  The NHL is different now.  Giroux is under 6 ft too. So is Pavelski. 
It’s crazy to me that we would be okay to trade 2-3 major pieces away for a guy that will only be here for 2 months at most.  We are not one player away regardless.  I’m suggesting a trade for a piece that would be here for 3 more seasons and is cost effective. He also does the majority of his scoring at even strength. He checks several boxes for us. That’s huge in todays NHL. We have zero idea when the cap realistically is going up with any significance.  

37 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I never said everyone wants to play in NY. I’m not even sure what made you say that out of nowhere.  Obviously if he didn’t want to come here the point is moot but none of us know what teams he would allow a trade to. If he had a full ntc for years I wouldn’t even be bringing him up. His ntc goes to a limited one after this season and he’s currently on one of the worst teams in the league while he’s 30.

Well, considering I mentioned he has an NTC, and you said we've seen players waive it, I felt compelled to bring up that he might not want to waive it to be here because not everyone wants to play here. It's not a reach.

It’s not that much of a stretch to think maybe he doesn’t want to spend the last few productive years of his game on a team starting from scratch. 

Great. How's that change what I said about him needing to want to play here, and his cap situation, mean it's not as simple as "just get him". It's a lot of moving parts.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, considering I mentioned he has an NTC, and you said we've seen players waive it, I felt compelled to bring up that he might not want to waive it to be here because not everyone wants to play here. It's not a reach.

Great. How's that change what I said about him needing to want to play here, and his cap situation, mean it's not as simple as "just get him". It's a lot of moving parts.

But I never said “just get him” without giving the parts I’d think that make it necessary and players Seattle would possibly be interested in or my reasons why he might be willing to waive it today rather than waiting for the full ntc to go limited. 

none of us are in his inner circle to know whether NYC is one of the places he listed as the teams he would be traded to starting next year.  Let’s not forget, it’s not as if Gourde signed this contract with the Kraken in the first place. 

• Like 1