• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Get Giroux

Phil

Just now, josh said:

And what. 3 points in 20 games with the Rangers? 

Played out of position,  no PP time and his most consistent linemates were Stalberg and Lindberg. Otherwise he was on the wing with of who ever they had. Maybe even on the 4th line.

AV really fucked that up. Staal went to Minnesota the following season and put up 65 points, then 76 the following year..

Sucks 

• 2 weeks later...

7. During All-Star, expect Claude Giroux to sit down with his agent (Pat Brisson) to discuss his future. I think there are Avalanche players who’d love to have him. The question is if the organization decides that’s the move they need to make. The right-hand shot makes sense. But it won’t be easy for Colorado to fit. That means the possibility of a third team, which raises the asset cost. There’s still time for it to play out, and Giroux has control.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-lesson-learn/

I still think getting him here will be difficult. I think the Flyers would rather not see Giroux end up in a rivals sweater where he can *potentially* walk in and be the “final piece” to a potential Cup run in MSG.

I think it’s a situation not too far off from the one with Eichel where, yes the player is there and readily available, but the Rangers will be asked to pay more than, say, a Western Conference team. Colorado? It just depends on what that “more” really is.

It is definitely worth the phone call. As others have said, he’d slot in really nicely here.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

Giroux is really prime target numero uno and I'd throw almost any asset. He is the perfect 3c fit for lafreniere and for this team in the playoffs

I mean, he's also a perfect fit because of what the Flyers want, which is to "retool" rather than "rebuild." The Rangers have a lot of players who are right on the cusp of the NHL, or in it but in need of bigger roles to maybe be more successful. Chytil, Gauthier, Lundkvist, Jones, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Are we better off giving up assets for a pure rental like Giroux or instead trading those assets before the draft for a young player who we can actually keep.  I'd say wait and trade Nils or another young D man for a forward equivalent.  

• Like 2

Just don’t see him ending up as a Ranger, even as a rental. Don’t see him wanting to play for a huge rival. Don’t see the Flyers trading him to such a huge rival, or for that matter in the same division and conference. 
I just don’t see it.

If he goes, it’s almost certainly out West.

I think a lot of us felt like Giroux was a long shot.  That's ok though, he's earned the right to go wherever he wants.  Probably even better he goes to the Western Conference, where we won't have to contend against him unless we go to the finals.

No doubt the guy has a lot of the tools we're looking for in a playoff run, but I think we're going to do just fine in what we acquire for our stretch run/playoffs.  There are some good targets out there still, and maybe even a few we didn't think we'd get may find their way to Broadway.

We should see something pretty soon I would think.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Just don’t see him ending up as a Ranger, even as a rental. Don’t see him wanting to play for a huge rival. Don’t see the Flyers trading him to such a huge rival, or for that matter in the same division and conference. 
I just don’t see it.

If he goes, it’s almost certainly out West.

That was my feeling also. I know it’s happened before with Lindros but I just didn’t see it happening this time. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think a lot of us felt like Giroux was a long shot.  That's ok though, he's earned the right to go wherever he wants.  Probably even better he goes to the Western Conference, where we won't have to contend against him unless we go to the finals.

No doubt the guy has a lot of the tools we're looking for in a playoff run, but I think we're going to do just fine in what we acquire for our stretch run/playoffs.  There are some good targets out there still, and maybe even a few we didn't think we'd get may find their way to Broadway.

We should see something pretty soon I would think.

Oz isn't it fair to say most of the bigger high dollar guys are probably long shots at best though? 

Next up Pavelski, question for everybody, realistic or the next Giroux where in reality never had a shot? 

I would also think any deal with a team retaining max salary would be tough. AZ retaining salary is funny in itself while playing in a men's league sized rink. Maybe Gary can award them a cap floor exemption while they sort their home rink situation out for the next decade. 🙂

So wish they TDL was much sooner in the season than where it sits now.