• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Get Giroux

Phil

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

He had the Flyers by the nuts, even though his head was completely done by then.

Fun fact - if Lindros was concussed at any point during the first 50 games of the 01-02 season, the Rangers would have been transferred the draft pick that ultimately became Mike Richards. Which, of course, we'd have used on Brian Boyle.

hmmm intersting.  never heard of that arrangement 

4 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I think it makes our team deeper and more dangerous on the 3rd line center.  Move him up if we are down or just to shake things up.  But much rather him taking faceoffs and playing his natural spot, or is he a winger?

he's a C but Mike says he plays W too.  i've never seen him play W.  

if he can play 3C and move Chytil to RW.  Chytil has a pretty good shot and Giroux can set him up nicely

12 minutes ago, G1000 said:

He had the Flyers by the nuts, even though his head was completely done by then.

Fun fact - if Lindros was concussed at any point during the first 50 games of the 01-02 season, the Rangers would have been transferred the draft pick that ultimately became Mike Richards. Which, of course, we'd have used on Brian Boyle.

New York sent left wing Jan Hlavac, defenseman Kim Johnsson, young forward Pavel Brendl and a third-round draft pick in 2003 to the Flyers, for Lindros 

Richards was drafted in the 1st round

Brian Boyle was drafted by the LA Kings

Edited by Blue Heaven

30 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

New York sent left wing Jan Hlavac, defenseman Kim Johnsson, young forward Pavel Brendl and a third-round draft pick in 2003 to the Flyers, for Lindros 

Richards was drafted in the 1st round

Brian Boyle was drafted by the LA Kings

And like we, in 2003, after picking a guy for being a physical specimen, would have picked Mike Richards in favor of the 6'7 behemoth Brian Boyle?

1. French-Canadian friend/mentor to Lafreniere.
2. Kills C, and RW depth issues with one stone.
3. Face-off ace (currently
62.0%, career 55.6%)
4. 73 points in 85 playoff games.
5. UFA at end of season.

To summarize: get me my boy.

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

1. French-Canadian friend/mentor to Lafreniere.
2. Kills C, and RW depth issues with one stone.
3. Face-off ace (currently
62.0%, career 55.6%)
4. 73 points in 85 playoff games.
5. UFA at end of season.

To summarize: get me my boy.

I’d have no problem with it as long as the ask isn’t way too high. He is their C after all.

24 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’d have no problem with it as long as the ask isn’t way too high. He is their C after all.

Sure, but I think more is made of that on the fan front than the front office. They traded Lindros here. They can trade Giroux, too. You just need to sell it to them on the right conditions, similar to the Rangers when they sent The Letter™. I mean, I know it's not apples to apples, and the players meant less to us than Giroux did/does to the Flyers, but let's not forget that New York sent multiple players out into their own conference. Nash and Holden to Boston, Grabner to the Devils, Miller and McDonagh to the Lightning, Staal to the Wings, etc.

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

Does Giroux have a no trade claus of any kind?  If so, why would he want to be the 3rd line center for the Rangers?

If not, if the price is right do it.

1. Yes, full No-Move, so he controls his own fate.

2. Who says he's their third-line center? He could be their "first" line RW.

3. They're almost certainly a playoff team and a trade to New York wouldn't require him uprooting his family.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sure, but I think more is made of that on the fan front than the front office. They traded Lindros here. They can trade Giroux, too. You just need to sell it to them on the right conditions, similar to the Rangers when they sent The Letter™. I mean, I know it's not apples to apples, and the players meant less to us than Giroux did/does to the Flyers, but let's not forget that New York sent multiple players out into their own conference. Nash and Holden to Boston, Grabner to the Devils, Miller and McDonagh to the Lightning, Staal to the Wings, etc.

I think it's partly that and also partly depending on how comfortable the two GMs are with their jobs

If you trade to a rival and give pieces that end up being significant, you do run the risk of being "that guy" that dealt a guy that comes back to haunt your franchise and all that. 

But yeah, teams do trade more these days. But there is a big difference between trading a guy you see 2 times a year as opposed to 5 or more depending on playoffs. 

Guy really does perform in the playoffs.  Buuuut. He has won nothing.

Mad good fit for team needs though. Always respected the Flyer forwards from their prime years. Schenn, Voracek, Giroux, Simmonds and Hartnell always were hard to play against,  but I don't recall any of them ever crossing that line. 

The cost being suggested isn't terrible. I'd prefer more coming back. If they are having a fire sale, get more. 

Get some cheap depth. 

Brassard and Yandle are UFAs to be on 900k contracts. 

One stop shop.

Edited by The Dude

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Guy really does perform in the playoffs.  Buuuut. He has won nothing.

Mad good fit for team needs though. Always respected the Flyer forwards from their prime years. Schenn, Voracek, Giroux, Simmonds and Hartnell always were hard to play against,  but I don't recall any of them ever crossing that line. 

The cost being suggested isn't terrible. I'd prefer more coming back. If they are having a fire sale, get more. 

Get some cheap depth. 

Brassard and Yandle are UFAs to be on 900k contracts. 

One stop shop.

Not a bad idea on Brassard, but I've got no interest in Yandle. He's done.

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Me neither.

And didn’t Lindros actually sustain a concussion in December of that season? He and the Rangers were rolling until then, and he took a hit in San Jose and he cooled off a bit after that; as did the Rangers.

Good memory. I cant remember shit

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Me neither.

And didn’t Lindros actually sustain a concussion in December of that season? He and the Rangers were rolling until then, and he took a hit in San Jose and he cooled off a bit after that; as did the Rangers.

Yea he punched himself in the head. Not even kidding, he was trying to lift his stick over someone and the knob hit him in the head, concussed.