• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?? Face off wins gives you possession. If actually controlling the puck isn't part of the stat labeled possession, then it's a very useless stat. Just starting the play on the PP, shouldn't dictate that you are in possession of the puck. Physically carrying the puck, driving the play. Puck possession. No?

Face off wins mean you had first touch after a face off. If your first pass goes to Teddy Blueger, you don't have possession anymore. Yet, as stated - in spite of his strong possession numbers, he's still getting rocked, and in spite of all the evidence piling up, you're still trying to argue that ADA is a victim of anything but his own garbage play and his own garbage attitude.

Who is singling out anyone's stats? Fox > ADA, the end. Everyone needs to get their shit together this year.

I'm not understanding how that means anything. Yeah Fox is better than ADA. He's also better than every other defenseman on our team. So?

Where does the part where the organization chose to cut one player and not the other? How does that fit into the picture you're trying to paint?

Because Quinn!

Quinn can't waive players.

You think JD had no input here?

Quinn can say he doesn't want the player here because he is undermining and helping turn the locker room against him. If there was any dirt on the situation they would have said it by now, to stop speculation and take heat off of Gorton for signing a guy that has apparently been such a nightmare that he had to be cut for getting punched by the back up goalie.

It doesn't add up. No matter what people want to make this kid out to be. It doesn't make sense, unless it's personal with Quinn. Players don't get along all the time. The fact that the roster LIKES DeAngelo, doesn't mesh with the "locker room cancer, biggest asshole on the planet " narrative this board and Twitter has taken this. This is no doubt a DeAngelo vs Quinn issue.

No.

As a few have already mentioned. End of the game. Frustrated after the loss that could be pinned on him, and a comment made him blow up. It happens. There isn't always some underlying long history. Guy was not in the mood and snapped. Is that not possible?

Inciting. Lmao . Must be in the handbook.

Could've been this, that, or the other thing. We don't know, and using the same lack of actual information to build a case that ADA is the victim here is one way to pass a snowy day. But I suspect that JD (Quinn doesn't make decisions like this) would not have taken such decisive action if: a. he thought that it was not fair to ADA because he seems like a guy who would actually care about that; b. when all the details come out, he could be legitimately seen as being unfair or biased against ADA because that is not a good look for your customer base; or c. he would not be in the strongest possible position with respect to the NHLPA and any contractual or legal action the could take place going forward. The Rangers took most of a day to make this move. Their ducks are in a row. Maybe we'll get the details later and find out that DeAngelo was horribly wronged, buuuuut, I doubt it.

Face off wins mean you had first touch after a face off. If your first pass goes to Teddy Blueger, you don't have possession anymore. Yet, as stated - in spite of his strong possession numbers, he's still getting rocked, and in spite of all the evidence piling up, you're still trying to argue that ADA is a victim of anything but his own garbage play and his own garbage attitude.

I'm saying the stat is flawed. Obviously possession by simply being on the PP isn't a reliable stat, when every aspect of the PP unit isn't connecting.

Yes ADA sucks defensively. This isn't news to anyone. The fact that the entire offense is in a coma should be taken into consideration. Even for the biggest asshole on the planet.

Accountable FOR WHAT? Not agreeing with a horseshit reactionary benching? Because besides that, what are we making this guy accountable for, besides being on the ice for goals against? Teammates takes jabs at each other. They yell at each other for poor play. DeAngelo shouldn't be held to some special standard with that. He made a comment and the player who ALSO has played like shit (save for one game), punched him..

Quinn is currently being credited with destroying the teams top 3 prospects in Shestyorkin, Kakko, and Lafrenier, add Gauthier and Hajek to the list. Hey, maybe he was fucking up DeAngelo too

At the moment i'm not willing to give this no structure, no consistency, no identity coach, credit for very much.

Quinn being a shit coach (which he is) really has nothing to do with Tony Deangelo and his attitude problems my guy. You?re defending damaged goods like a used car salesman trying to con an ignorant buyer.

Tony was suspended twice in the OHL, once for berating an official and again for racist remarks. And his OHL coaches absolutely fucking hated him. He was a shit teammate when things weren?t going well by all accounts (lol wow crazy coincidence amirite?).

Despite this, he was considered the best offensive defense in the OHL for his draft year and in the 2014 draft he was taken 19th overall by the Lightening, only to then be traded from Tampa to Arizona a year later.

Why was he traded? During his stint in Syracuse, despite being offensively productive (6 goals/37 assists) he was scratched 8 times for being completely undisciplined in his play and woeful in his own zone, and was generally considered a head case by the coaching staff (lol wow crazy coincidence amirite?).

In Arizona, he was relatively fine to deal with in 25 games playing for their AHL affiliate the Tucson Roadrunners before being called up, where he?d shortly after he suspended by the nhl for physical abuse of an official. He would then be included to the NYR in the Stepan trade.

We all know what he?s done in his time here, so why is this a Quinn problem. The dude had an MO that has followed him everywhere: in times of good, his competitive edge is welcomed and he is effective offensively. When things are not going well, he?s awful to deal with from coaches to players, and he has a big mouth.

Why are you deflecting this and trying to simplify it to a Quinn problem? What does this have to do with Quinn? You?re going to respond with some bait and switch argument and not address the points at hand so I am asking rhetorically, it you are also arguing just to argue, because you like him for reasons probably outside of hockey. Cool. He still deserved this and it shows that other teams around the league didn?t take a chance on a dude who has incredible offensive upside from the backend, cause he?s such a piece of shit to deal with.

But it?s a Quinn problem. ?

• Like 1

This is not how anyone wanted this to go with our top offensive D threat. However, proper decorum and support of your teammates is crucial in being successful so if ADA can't bring himself to be a good teammate then all the talent in the world isn't going to bring a noncohesive team into a championship team. Time to cut him loose and move on. Wonder if they will terminate or buyout but either way, I can imagine they don't want him at any level of this organization.

I'm not understanding how that means anything. Yeah Fox is better than ADA. He's also better than every other defenseman on our team. So?

Well, as a result of this...

"Leapfrogged on the PP" after 1 game. Let's not act like he had a fair shake to maintain his standing in the lineup after the year he had last season. A lot of that is on Quinn, since he solely decides what kind of opportunity you get, which brings us full circle to...Quinn doesn't seem to be the right man for this job.

...there was a tangent about pp/usage. Fox is more than capable of QBing the PP.

Quinn can say he doesn't want the player here because he is undermining and helping turn the locker room against him. If there was any dirt on the situation they would have said it by now, to stop speculation and take heat off of Gorton for signing a guy that has apparently been such a nightmare that he had to be cut for getting punched by the back up goalie.

It doesn't add up. No matter what people want to make this kid out to be. It doesn't make sense, unless it's personal with Quinn. Players don't get along all the time. The fact that the roster LIKES DeAngelo, doesn't mesh with the "locker room cancer, biggest asshole on the planet " narrative this board and Twitter has taken this. This is no doubt a DeAngelo vs Quinn issue.

Yet they cut the 4th leading scorer among Dmen instead of firing the guy that can't coach in the NHL...........................

Saskatoon Blades. Hitmen are based out of Calgary.

Yes, I know where the Hitmen are located LOL. I just thought I remembered after they traded for him, he went to Rangers/Flames game. Might not have been him....In any event, I assumed he played junior in Calgary.

I'm saying the stat is flawed. Obviously possession by simply being on the PP isn't a reliable stat, when every aspect of the PP unit isn't connecting.

Yes ADA sucks defensively. This isn't news to anyone. The fact that the entire offense is in a coma should be taken into consideration. Even for the biggest asshole on the planet.

I'm thinking you don't understand the stats, you don't understand my argument (which is that somehow, in spite of his zone start advantage and his possession advantage - which is likely driven by PP time - he's still god awful), or you're simply trying to do literally anything to distract from the fact that he's been horrible on the ice and, as reported, a problem off the ice. First it was Quinn, then the goalies aren't making stops, then it's the centers, now it's the entire offense....when do you just turn around and go "wow, the common factor here is ADA"? Spoiler - he's the common factor. Other players are scoring just fine without faceoff wins. Other players are defending just fine and not giving up high value chances. Why can't ADA?

It doesn't add up because you're looking for a conspiracy theory. If you look at what's in front of you, it's obvious. ADA is an asshole, to the magnitude that the team is showing him the door.

Also let's not assume everyone on the team liked ADA. We know 4-5 players were tight, ADA/Lemiuex/Strome etc. Clearly, Geo doesn't like him.

Yes, I know where the Hitmen are located LOL. I just thought I remembered after they traded for him, he went to Rangers/Flames game. Might not have been him....In any event, I assumed he played junior in Calgary.

Close enough, anyway.

The Rangers could attempt to terminate his contract ? a two-year, $9.6 million deal he signed in mid-October ? but the chances of them pursuing that are slim. DeAngelo and his agent, Pat Brisson, would almost surely counter with a legal challenge, and it's a battle the Rangers would have a hard time winning.

A source indicated the Rangers are "hopeful for a better resolution."

What does that mean? There are two logical options.

The first is find a trade partner. The Rangers would have to eat a sizable chunk of the money owed to DeAngelo, which works out to an average annual value of $4.8 million, and they couldn't expect much in return. But if they can pull it off, it would provide the most immediate path to moving on.

The other option is to keep DeAngelo off the active NHL roster ? essentially sending him home for the rest of the season ? and then buy him out this summer.

In that scenario, the Rangers would shave $1.075 million off this year's salary cap charge for DeAngelo while still being on the hook for $3.725 million. That's not ideal, but it would provide a little more cap wiggle room. And once they're able to buy out the contract, the cap hits would be manageable at $383,333 for the 2021-22 season and $883,333 in 2022-23, according to CapFriendly.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/02/01/tony-deangelo-clears-waivers-whats-next-him-and-ny-rangers/4339395001/

--

In other words, they'll try Option A first. If and when that fails, it's the nuclear option for a radioactive player.