• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kids are the Wors — Best, I Meant Best

Phil

20 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

LOL!  I wanted to feed my kid to the lions in the San Diego Zoo last week b/c of all the f'n complaining.  Can't imagine 2 complaining kids.  

Mine is just bionic and doesn’t need sleep apparently. We haven’t even gotten to the talking stage yet. If he sleeps more I’ll welcome it. 

• LMFAO 1

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

Mine is just bionic and doesn’t need sleep apparently. We haven’t even gotten to the talking stage yet. If he sleeps more I’ll welcome it. 

We'll save you a few nights this season, Pete!!!  We'll call it "Ranger-Game THERAPY"!!! 

Just now, Ozzy said:

We'll save you a few nights this season, Pete!!!  We'll call it "Ranger-Game THERAPY"!!! 

Looking forward to it. The wife has given me permission to play hockey at skate safe this season (ugh indoor roller 🤮) so there’s some positive news on the be-an-independent-man front. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Thanks! You’re not kidding. One kid was life changing too, but in a “can’t just go out somewhere when we want to” kind of way. A second is more of a “can I get two seconds to scratch my own balls” kind of change lmao. I can’t even imagine a 3rd or how people do it right now. I guess maybe the oldest is just old enough to do their own thing and not require as much energy from parents….or something.

My oldest has tons of energy so my part time job working it out of him is now basically full time during my time off work at least. I get some new baby time in some of the downtime to give my wife a break. She’s been the night owl with the baby since she’s up every 2-3 hours pumping anyway.

Yup. You did good on timing, though. Three years between them? That should actually make for a lot of overlap with things like bed time, which for us is still mostly aligned, but drifting farther apart by the day. I basically haven't seen a full first period or full second period of Rangers' hockey (depends on start time and when the kids actually start bed time) in two or three years. That's not changing any time soon, either. I basically just follow along on my phone some while I put my oldest to bed because he reads to himself now, so I can just kinda sit next to his bed and use my phone intermittently.

If you ever want any advice, hit me up. Happy to offer suggestions, or just listen to the vent, lol. The latter was big for me with a couple friends we have locally with kids the same age.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Sad Bad Day GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

meanwhile Sid’s over here with 1 kid losing his mind 

When I say pretty easy, I mean relative to two. One kid still sucks. Most new parents, myself included, fuck everything up and overdo most everything, too. Oh, no! We need to warm the milk to exactly 91.8 degrees, and oh wait, we need a wipe warmer for their butt, and oh, wait, is the SIDS device properly attached to the bed? Are they breathing? Fuck, wait, did I eat today? It's like an endless panic attack.

Then we had two, and with my first I was like, yeah, whatever dude, night night <shuts door while he's still talking about some dumb ass YouTube video>.

• LOL 1
  • Bullseye 2

37 minutes ago, siddious said:

We had such a good system for ours in year 1. My wife is very much an "early to bed, early to rise" person, and I'm very much a "this game is on and I'm fuckin watching it to the end" person. 

So during the earlier months, she took the 8pm-ish feed, and I took the middle of the night (which was really like...usually 1130-1230, so I was often awake). I'd throw on the TV, watch a west-coast game, and get him back to sleep.

Now, my kid is more like @rmc51, where I have no fucking idea how he has this much energy and he doesn't stop talking. My saving grace is that he legit wants to watch sports with me, and he's excited for hockey to come back. 

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

We had such a good system for ours in year 1. My wife is very much an "early to bed, early to rise" person, and I'm very much a "this game is on and I'm fuckin watching it to the end" person. 

So during the earlier months, she took the 8pm-ish feed, and I took the middle of the night (which was really like...usually 1130-1230, so I was often awake). I'd throw on the TV, watch a west-coast game, and get him back to sleep.

Now, my kid is more like @rmc51, where I have no fucking idea how he has this much energy and he doesn't stop talking. My saving grace is that he legit wants to watch sports with me, and he's excited for hockey to come back. 

My wife thought my suggestion to move our twins from the bassinet in our room to the nursery was a good idea and smart parenting. really, I just wanted to throw the game on and not worry about waking them up lol. But that great idea has them both sleeping 12 hours through the night straight through (with a quick little dream-feed before we go to bed) before they were even 4 months old

Congrats @rmc51

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

really? 

Edited by CCCP

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yup. You did good on timing, though. Three years between them? That should actually make for a lot of overlap with things like bed time, which for us is still mostly aligned, but drifting farther apart by the day. I basically haven't seen a full first period or full second period of Rangers' hockey (depends on start time and when the kids actually start bed time) in two or three years. That's not changing any time soon, either. I basically just follow along on my phone some while I put my oldest to bed because he reads to himself now, so I can just kinda sit next to his bed and use my phone intermittently.

If you ever want any advice, hit me up. Happy to offer suggestions, or just listen to the vent, lol. The latter was big for me with a couple friends we have locally with kids the same age.

you should really train your kids to go to bed on their own.  It takes about 2-3 days and then your life will change forever.  

16 minutes ago, CCCP said:

you should really train your kids to go to bed on their own.  It takes about 2-3 days and then your life will change forever.  

We did this for my first son at about 6 months. Sleep training. Within one day (one long morning/afternoon) it was infinitely better. Within 3 days like you said…started sleeping straight through the night. Soothing his own self back to sleep if he stirred.

• JIMMY! 1

Best decision my wife and I made was from Day 1, our daughter had her own room, so she wouldnt get use to us being in the same room with her at bed time.  We were also fairly strict from day one about her bed time which was 7 PM until she was about 5.  7:30 from 5-9, now 8 PM from 9 1/2, we got too much pressure to extend her bed time b/c all her friends go to bed later than her.  Mom and Dad need quiet time too, so a 9 -10 PM bed time for a 3 year old was never going to happen.  

• JIMMY! 1

56 minutes ago, CCCP said:

My oldest is going there really soon. Youngest is only two. She can't.

Congrats @rmc51! May both your children be less wrong than you! Mazel!

We have an almost 8 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. My wife wouldn't even entertain the thought of another one until the first was 4-ish. They're a good separation, IMO. I told her, "We'll never regret having another one, but we might regret not having another one."

She goes to bed 7-730 and he goes to bed 830-9 during the summer, in bed by 830 during the school year. It's nice because he feels like he gets time with us and not his sister since he's a "big boy who stays up late". We leave her in the crib and she falls asleep on her own. I read him a book and then he brushes and goes to bed on his own. They were both out of our room by week 2.

She's a real pissah, such a wise ass, and he's dark and brooding. So they're both just like dad, in the worst way. But they're the best decisions we ever made.

We definitely didn't go the @Phil route with SIDS monitors and shit, but the second kid feels a lot easier than the first one, because with the first one you don't know what you don't know. With the second one, the little shit doesn't freak you out. You've been there. You know what to worry about or not. Like, no antimicrobial wipes for the paci...Wash that shit off in my beer and pop it back in.

Edited by Pete

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

We have an almost 8 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. My wife wouldn't even entertain the thought of another one until the first was 4-ish. They're a good separation, IMO. I told her, "We'll never regret having another one, but we might regret not having another one."

She goes to bed 7-730 and he goes to bed 830-9 during the summer, in bed by 830 during the school year. It's nice because he feels like he gets time with us and not his sister since he's a "big boy who stays up late". We leave her in the crib and she falls asleep on her own. I read him a book and then he brushes and goes to bed on his own. They were both out of our room by week 2.

She's a real pissah, such a wise ass, and he's dark and brooding. So they're both just like dad, in the worst way. But they're the best decisions we ever made.

We definitely didn't go the @Phil route with SIDS monitors and shit, but the second kid feels a lot easier than the first one, because with the first one you don't know what you don't know. With the second one, the little shit doesn't freak you out. You've been there. You know what to worry about or not. Like, no antimicrobial wipes for the paci...Wash that shit off in my beer and pop it back in.

Thanks!

That’s unfortunate to hear they won’t know shit about hockey either!

Already encountering this. Even with washing the bottles/pump stuff/etc. There’s a “good wash” that we are doing now vs what felt like cleaning every atom on there…twice.

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

My oldest is going there really soon. Youngest is only two. She can't.

sure she can.  We trained ours as soon as they started standing up in their cribs.  They will cry themselves to sleep for the first 2-3 days and then you just put them to bed and leave.  

i bet you fall asleep before they do.,...lol

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

for sure. i regret not having a third kid.  My wife and I always talk about this, that we should've had another in between our two, who are 7 years apart

4 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

No chance anyone talks more than my son. My daughter and wife also never shut up.