• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sending Two Scouts to Leafs/Pens Game; Nylander?

Phil

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This confuses me. You think Skjei is trash and overpaid, and Krieder is ~6 years older than Nylander. So we get younger and offensively better, and lose a bad contract. Why is it too much? I'd rather do that than something like Picks, Chytil, any D prospect. (Pionk I'd have traded yesterday in this deal, or any other).
Where does it say that Nylander is better offensively than Kreider ? And why do we assume he'll even be as good in NY without the talent he had in Toronto ?

Ken Hodge, anyone ? :D

I am not putting in Kreider to get Nylander. I think he's better than him right now. The Globe & Mail says that Nylander is probably the Leaf's 6th best player -- why are we so gung-ho for him ?
Where does it say that Nylander is better offensively than Kreider ? And why do we assume he'll even be as good in NY without the talent he had in Toronto ?

Ken Hodge, anyone ? :D

Every metric says Nylander is equal if not better offensive player.

Right now doesn't matter. Who will be better in 2-3 years? Kreider will be on the wrong side of 30, Nylander will be entering his prime.

I don't want to pay Nylander 7 mill but I'd rather give it to Nylander than to Kreider.

Every metric says Nylander is equal if not better offensive player.
What metrics/stats are you looking at? Corsi ?

Right now doesn't matter. Who will be better in 2-3 years? Kreider will be on the wrong side of 30, Nylander will be entering his prime.
Fair point but couldn't you say the same thing about Hank ? Why keep him then if we are gearing to 2020-21 ?

I don't want to pay Nylander 7 mill but I'd rather give it to Nylander than to Kreider.
We know Kreider can thrive in NYC and in the playoffs. We don't know that about Nylander. I also think Kreider might be willing to take some sort of "hometown discount" whereas Nylander is holding out on a consensus Cup favorite that just signed Tavares. Kreider is more loyal to the Rangers than Nylander is to Toronto, let alone the Rangers.

I think the most depressing part of this discussion is what has happened to Skeij. Another defenseman who seems to have excelled early in his NYR career and in the playoffs (McDonaugh, Smith) and then enters a steep decline.

Jeez....we JUST signed the guy !!! :banghead:

What metrics/stats are you looking at? Corsi ?

Fair point but couldn't you say the same thing about Hank ? Why keep him then if we are gearing to 2020-21 ?

We know Kreider can thrive in NYC and in the playoffs. We don't know that about Nylander. I also think Kreider might be willing to take some sort of "hometown discount" whereas Nylander is holding out on a consensus Cup favorite that just signed Tavares. Kreider is more loyal to the Rangers than Nylander is to Toronto, let alone the Rangers.

Points, corsi, age. Kreider is peaked. Nylander may get better it's just a question of how much.

I'd trade Lundy yesterday, if he waived his NMC.

If you can play in Toronto you can play in any market. Loyalty really doesn't have anything to do with it, for me. Players move all the time. Part of the game.

Points, corsi, age. Kreider is peaked. Nylander may get better it's just a question of how much.
I think Kreider is getting better this year, Pete. He's no longer in the shadow of all the guys we shipped out the last 2 years.

I think Kreider can stay at his "peak" or continue to get better for another 4-5 years.

I'd trade Lundy yesterday, if he waived his NMC.
OK......

If you can play in Toronto you can play in any market. Loyalty really doesn't have anything to do with it, for me. Players move all the time. Part of the game.
Fair points......

This is Kreider's team. I'd like him to re-sign. He's finally everything we all wanted him to be. If he's reasonable on dollars, I'd re-sign him.

I'd like Nylander but to remove the heart of this team in Kreider and replace him with someone who I see with some major character questions could have unforseen consequences.

I think the most depressing part of this discussion is what has happened to Skeij. Another defenseman who seems to have excelled early in his NYR career and in the playoffs (McDonaugh, Smith) and then enters a steep decline.

Jeez....we JUST signed the guy !!! :banghead:

His game hasnt changed much.. that's the issue. The "new kid" stigma fans experienced is gone. He's also getting tougher minutes. His best hockey was when he was a 3rd pair guy getting limited minutes. He was playing with guys like Klein and Smith that were able to cover his mistakes.

This is Kreider's team. I'd like him to re-sign. He's finally everything we all wanted him to be. If he's reasonable on dollars, I'd re-sign him.

I'd like Nylander but to remove the heart of this team in Kreider and replace him with someone who I see with some major character questions could have unforseen consequences.

I don't consider Kreider the heart of this team at all. That's Hank.

Curious what's making you think this.

I think Kreider is getting better this year, Pete. He's no longer in the shadow of all the guys we shipped out the last 2 years.

I think Kreider can stay at his "peak" or continue to get better for another 4-5 years.

OK......

Fair points......

We always get this from Kreider, though. Then he goes without a goal in a dozen games. That's not a knock, just an observation. It's what makes him a 25 goal guy instead of a 35+ goal guy.

You need players like Kreider, just not over 30 years old making 7 million.

If Toronto can't trade Nylander by the deadline, and the Rangers are in the playoff hunt, would it make sense to trade assets like Skjei/Pionk along with the teams 1st round pick to get Nylander for the future?

Shit. How about offering that pick now? A 22 year old first line player ready to step in right now VS this teams history of going off the board with top 10 draft picks? I think I go with Nylander....

Pionk/Skjei, 1st, Zucc for Nylander and a salary dump of their choice? Mayyyyybe have the first be conditional? Lottery protected? Then it becomes next year's 1st and this year's 3rd?

Im not against trading him IF he wants an absurd contract. However thats not the kind of vibe I get him from him, I think he would take less money to stay. However with him playing so well under quinn and taking a good leadership role he has made it more risky to trade. Still has another year on a very good cap hit so there is no rush until they start talking about his next contract

If Toronto can't trade Nylander by the deadline, and the Rangers are in the playoff hunt, would it make sense to trade assets like Skjei/Pionk along with the teams 1st round pick to get Nylander for the future?

Shit. How about offering that pick now? A 22 year old first line player ready to step in right now VS this teams history of going off the board with top 10 draft picks? I think I go with Nylander....

Pionk/Skjei, 1st, Zucc for Nylander and a salary dump of their choice? Mayyyyybe have the first be conditional? Lottery protected? Then it becomes next year's 1st and this year's 3rd?

It would not make sense to make that trade if the rangers are in the playoff hunt.

If rangers are taking back a cap dump, shouldn’t be giving a first. Try for Brown or one of their RFAs

I’m still having a very tough time seeing how they would trade so much for Nylander who’s demanding such a high salary

Fan mentality. “Grass is always greener”

Some believe if we give up more, Nylander will magically transform into a better player - because so much was traded for him.

Fan mentality. “Grass is always greener”

Some believe if we give up more, Nylander will magically transform into a better player - because so much was traded for him.

Tough time buying this "grass is always greener" argument when talking about Nylander, who would have led our team in points 2 years straight as a 20-21 yrar old. We aren't talking about trading for an oft-injured, streaky 45 point player (Kreider). I have been impressed by Kreider this year, but he is what he is until proven otherwise over the course of a full season or more.

Archived