• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#1) Rangers v. Nashville Predators // Choo Choo ? All Aboard the Pain Train!

Phil

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can’t say this was a bad game. They played a tough team, one that’s picked to be amongst the top teams in the league. There was a lot of good to take away from this game. I thought the chemistry between Zucchini and Vesey was there and with a couple of games together, they could be very good. The top line was good as well. The one line that surprised me was the third line. I felt they were the best line of the night and all three played very well together. Leteri and Howden played well on the 4th line as well. On defense, I felt Staal and Skjei had good games, and Pionk impressed me. Shattered played better, I think he has some rust still. McQuad I felt had a good game as well. Smith was better than last year, but still nothing to brag about, same with Hayes. I honestly didn’t realize he was out there half the time. There is a lot more good than bad to take away from this game. Let’s see how that bounce back now.

I thought they played pretty well considering. At least like structure maybe back. One glaring problem to me was the Shattenkirk smith pairing. Hard to play any system when Shattenkirk has no gap control. Almost every time they were on the ice good chances were going the other way. Shattenkirk is abysmal defensively. No other way to put it.

They played an even game with Nashville (one of the top 3 teams in the league) and only lost because the refs are apparently still in preseason mode.

They looked really good on offense. Defense looked good too sans Smith & shattenkirk who looked nervous or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Disappointed is probably an exaggeration, but I was expecting a bit more.

New season, New coach, was hoping for a New era

That's a bit unfair as I think you could see a fair bit of Quinn's fingerprint already, which is pretty encouraging considering it's his first game in charge.

I thought there were a couple of pretty good performances out there. Vesey, Fast, Chytil, McQuaid and Pionk all did well. Really impressed by Howden.

The first line showed that it's simply not a first line at NHL level. Can't really drive offense at all when matched up against the best. A bit embarrassing for Namestnikov having to be carried by a 19 year old kid straight out of juniors tbh. Hayes and Spooner could also have done more.

That's a bit unfair as I think you could see a fair bit of Quinn's fingerprint already, which is pretty encouraging considering it's his first game in charge.

I thought there were a couple of pretty good performances out there. Vesey, Fast, Chytil, McQuaid and Pionk all did well. Really impressed by Howden.

The first line showed that it's simply not a first line at NHL level. Can't really drive offense at all when matched up against the best. A bit embarrassing for Namestnikov having to be carried by a 19 year old kid straight out of juniors tbh. Hayes and Spooner could also have done more.

I agree. So I?m not understanding why you said it was unfair... and then criticize half the guys still playing ?old era? hockey.

Things that jumped out offensively; much more straightforward going to the goal, north/south and shooting. Still a residue of AV making the dreaded ONE MORE PASS. Staal and Zucc both passed instead of simply shooting when they had an good open shot. And they were physical in ways they never were under AV. Heard often last few years NYR were an easy night. If this is the approach, that will not be the case this year. Think playoff berth is stll a longshot, but they will compete and it's within the realm of possibility.

Things that jumped out offensively; much more straightforward going to the goal, north/south and shooting. Still a residue of AV making the dreaded ONE MORE PASS. Staal and Zucc both passed instead of simply shooting when they had an good open shot. And they were physical in ways they never were under AV. Heard often last few years NYR were an easy night. If this is the approach, that will not be the case this year. Think playoff berth is stll a longshot, but they will compete and it's within the realm of possibility.

Good points

I think I’m a bit greedy expecting another level, but as others have said - it’s coming

I agree. So I’m not understanding why you said it was unfair... and then criticize half the guys still playing “old era” hockey.

I think it's unfair to be disappointed at the lack of a "new era" under the new coach, as I think the signs were there and you can already see his fingerprint on our game.

I was pretty good with our game last night. I think we played a tougher more disciplined style. I hope to see this same effort going forward! ...long way to go...lots to learn! The kids looked promising for the most part.

Bottom line: The NYR lost. No one, at the end of the day cares how well a team played throughout the season. The concern is how many wins & losses & whether or not the playoffs are made. Nothing more, nothing less. Make a mistake like the late too many men penalty, and keep doing that type of thing and kaboom, it'll be over. Game woulda been tied 2-2 with OT looming.

SERGNAR OG!!

Howden was clearly moving up depth chart as game went on.

Big, and smooth. Looks like a classic NHL centerman.

Yeah, like this kids game. Trying to think of a comparable. Modern day, all I could think of is Rakell. Though Rakell also has a sneaky quick release, need to see more of Howden to find out.

Vesey played an extremely strong game. He created or was a part of making plays the entire game. Like to see him get one quick and see if he can build some scoring momentum. Obviously Zuc was good too. Even though passing up that shot was ridiculous.

Oh and Fatty's critique about Shatty's D is on point. He and Staal were awful defensively. Some of Staal's mistakes were due to his slowness, but he also made too many poor decisions for a vet.

The D looked dull and undynamic with Hajek and ADA missing. Like to see what the team looks like when they are in the lineup. I'm convinced Hajek is currently a better player than Staal, and the on ice product would immediately look/perform better if we could swap the two. However, circumstances do not permit this move.

Oh and Fatty's critique about Shatty's D is on point. He and Staal were awful defensively. Some of Staal's mistakes were due to his slowness, but he also made too many poor decisions for a vet.

The D looked dull and undynamic with Hajek and ADA missing. Like to see what the team looks like when they are in the lineup. I'm convinced Hajek is currently a better player than Staal, and the on ice product would immediately look/perform better if we could swap the two. However, circumstances do not permit this move.

It's early yet, and Staal is getting used to the new system like everyone else. That said, I agree the initial impression was . . . not good.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived