• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with The King?

Ozzy

So you are ok with players yelling at hank?

And players yelling at each other?

Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If Hank kept screwing up after being told something by a teammate, then sure. Again, it’s emotion that leads to this. I’d rather see them show some kind of emotion than none. And again, it’s not like it isn’t happening in all sports. What’s the difference between yelling at a teammate or fighting a teammate in practice/training camp? It’s all emotion.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are ok with players yelling at hank?

And players yelling at each other?

Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged

You said temper tantrums repeatedly now. Getting on a defender for constantly screening you and telling him to get his head out of his ass isn't a temper tantrum.

You said temper tantrums repeatedly now. Getting on a defender for constantly screening you and telling him to get his head out of his ass isn't a temper tantrum.

Well, it is seeing that it?s not hanks job.

We have coaches to adjust behavior and habits.

Many times i see hank screaming at the wrong person.

Well, it is seeing that it’s not hanks job.

We have coaches to adjust behavior and habits.

Many times i see hank screaming at the wrong person.

Which is exactly NYR2711's point. Is Hank supposed wait until the next intermission to tell the coach, and then the coach waits till the next practice to address it? If you're playing shit defense the goalie is gonna say something. The longer you continue to do the same shit the more pissed he's gonna get.

For all we know Hank did talk to Ruff and AV and nothing changed.

So your saying that they were all traded because of Hank? Your wrong. Torts has an issue with the entire team, not just Hank. Girardi was bought out because of his play, Smith was demoted because of his play. And. Need some sort of proof to show that Step and McD were traded because they yelled at Hank. If you don?t have any proof, the your arguing for the sake of arguing here because there is zero reason to post anything like this.

If you didn't bother to read the last line and see that I was joking, it shows me how little you pay attention to other people's posts, honestly.

I think we can call this even by saying we all know there's an unwritten rule that you don't get fired for being an asshole if you're great at your job.

Hank's no longer so good at his job that he can continue to be an asshole.

If you didn't bother to read the last line and see that I was joking, it shows me how little you pay attention to other people's posts, honestly.

I do actually read others posts, please don?t assume things about me, that would be great.

We've all been watching hockey for many years. When other goalies get scored on they may slam their stick, take a drink, shake their head while looking at the ice. Hank has a reputation for pointing fingers and it is just NOT a good look. I doesn't matter if he's emotional or being commited. It should not happen and especially on a regular basis. I thought the joke was funny.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think we can call this even by saying we all know there's an unwritten rule that you don't get fired for being an asshole if you're great at your job.

Hank's no longer so good at his job that he can continue to be an asshole.

To an extent.

I think he's beyond that extent, though, where he will "get away with things" due to his career superiority and longevity.

We've all been watching hockey for many years. When other goalies get scored on they may slam their stick, take a drink, shake their head while looking at the ice. Hank has a reputation for pointing fingers and it is just NOT a good look. I doesn't matter if he's emotional or being commited. It should not happen and especially on a regular basis. I thought the joke was funny.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Guys do this all the time, and not just goalies. Ever watch a time out?

We've seen it more from Henrik because A, we watch him more, and b) he's been playing more/longer than most goalies.

Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Smith, Smith, etc. Elite goalies tend to be hot heads. They're crazy and quirky, just like pitchers.

Well i don’t yell at employees....so let’s scratch that.

But i don’t think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, it’s how you react that makes the difference.

Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact it’s hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above

These are tenants of good mgmt, some folks are not meant for that job.

If I saw a manager working for me, yelling at coworkers and even underlings, it would be discussed in private, immediately. The conversation would probably start by saying that I'm not happy with the way you are managing the situation/personnel and notice you don't hear me yelling at you.

Now if you add the fact that Hank is not charged with managing anybody, he should keep the yelling to a minimum.

These are tenants of good mgmt, some folks are not meant for that job.

If I saw a manager working for me, yelling at coworkers and even underlings, it would be discussed in private, immediately. The conversation would probably start by saying that I'm not happy with the way you are managing the situation/personnel and notice you don't hear me yelling at you.

Same

I?ve been through plenty of management training over the years and have spoken/attended many events across the states in regard to culture.

Regardless if you think it has been warranted in the past or not his yelling. I don’t think there’s much of an argument that going forward with a rebuilding team that hank doesn’t need to reduce his outbursts. There are going to be kids trying to develop and learn. It’s not going to help to have a legend in hank shitting on them when they make a mistake at least not in public

You can’t compare the NHL to an office job.

Compare it to soccer.

Those goalies are the worst.

NFL quarterbacks.

Captains on basketball teams.

True, but you can aspire to optimal effective behavior.

But sure, everything in context. The job of sports can be very emotional. Some guys need some emotional fire to perform better, some recoil from harsh (or poorly placed) criticism. There needs to be a balance. As a rule, it is the coaches who should be disciplinary. Screaming at a teammate during a game should be rare. Captains and maybe goalies and QB's may get a little latitude. However, did Roger Staubach, Montana, Aikman, Manning, Rodgers, etc ever lose their temper at a teammate, on the field? Were they not great leaders? Brady screamed at his QB coach a couple of times and it was national news.

Fine with Hank actually showing a pulse. I'm pretty confident he holds himself even more accountable than he does others. I'll take the pulse over the lack of emotion most of this roster has shown to date every day of the week.

Regardless if you think it has been warranted in the past or not his yelling. I don’t think there’s much of an argument that going forward with a rebuilding team that hank doesn’t need to reduce his outbursts. There are going to be kids trying to develop and learn. It’s not going to help to have a legend in hank shitting on them when they make a mistake at least not in public

First off, the kids don’t need to be coddled. If they can’t handle a teammate saying something to them, then what is going to happen when a coach screams at them? They should be coming here knowing how to play their position. They are pros, and should be able to handle criticism, especially here in New York. If it’s not Hank crucifying them, it will be the coaches, the media and/or the fans.

I did read it through, hence why I didn?t mention the Staal line in my post. If it was an attempt at humor, it wasn?t very good.
Whelp the reps I got for it disagree.

Loosen up, dude. Everything doesn't suck.

I would say...

Is the goaltending position as important as it was when Hank signed that contract? - No, not if Quinn can establish a defensive structure

Did the Rangers over value the goaltending position with Hank's deal? - Yes

Can a regular playoff caliber goalie be good enough to contend for a Stanley Cup? - Yes, but define "playoff calibre"

Does this team need a World Class, top ranked goalie to win it all? - No

Can our salary dollar be more wisely spent on a another position? - Yes

Having said all that, I don't think that Hank's cap number is problematic at this point. My only concern with Hank is that he needs to learn how to be successful playing 50, rather than 65 games. B/c he can still be very good at 38 (Luongo) but he's not going to be able to carry the load.

We got a little off base for a bit, Future. LOL Sorry, I was busy screaming at Hank! ;)

"Playoff caliber" - think good player, not great/world class...definitely not a scrub...Let's say similar to a Vanbiesbrouck.

The thing is I keep thinking we could get 3 pretty good players for the $12.5 million that Hank's tugging on that cap....definitely 2 excellent players....and that's fine right now, as you said in the fact that we're really not ready for prime time with this team. But I sure would like to see what we're going to do when we move that cash off the books.

We got a little off base for a bit, Future. LOL Sorry, I was busy screaming at Hank! ;)

"Playoff caliber" - think good player, not great/world class...definitely not a scrub...Let's say similar to a Vanbiesbrouck.

The thing is I keep thinking we could get 3 pretty good players for the $12.5 million that Hank's tugging on that cap....definitely 2 excellent players....and that's fine right now, as you said in the fact that we're really not ready for prime time with this team. But I sure would like to see what we're going to do when we move that cash off the books.

Hank's cap hit is $8.5. A "playoff calibre" goalie is going to cost you, what, $6 million? Holtby's at $6.1 and MAF is $5.75 - I think that's what you mean by "playoff calibre." So really, the question is what are you going to do with the extra $2.5 that Henrik costs relative to them.

Unless you've got a goalie you signed as an RFA who doesn't have much of a track record (Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck), you're going to be paying $6m, easy, for a quality goalie, and that's only short term. So every team can say "we can get so many assets if we dump X contract," but for the Rangers, it's not about saving $8.5, it's the $2.5m that you're saving relative to goalies of Henrik's quality.

Hank's cap hit is $8.5. A "playoff calibre" goalie is going to cost you, what, $6 million? Holtby's at $6.1 and MAF is $5.75 - I think that's what you mean by "playoff calibre." So really, the question is what are you going to do with the extra $2.5 that Henrik costs relative to them.

Unless you've got a goalie you signed as an RFA who doesn't have much of a track record (Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck), you're going to be paying $6m, easy, for a quality goalie, and that's only short term. So every team can say "we can get so many assets if we dump X contract," but for the Rangers, it's not about saving $8.5, it's the $2.5m that you're saving relative to goalies of Henrik's quality.

Hellebuyck just resigned. $6.166M AAV. BTW, at the same point in his career Hank signed for $6.8AAV.

Archived