• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with The King?

Ozzy

because it's focusing on other people's mistakes instead of what he could have done to stop the goal. and it is showing up teammates. neither is a good look.

Right, plus it is not really his job. That is the coaches job. Besides, Hank is emotional and is not the most objective person to immediately critique a goal or bad play. And if he does it too much, he loses his impact or worse.

There is a time and place for everything. If he can help by pointing out where a Dman should be or how he should react to a situation, that is fine. If someone needs a kick in the ass because of effort or consistently making the same mistake, the team can live with it. Beyond that he'll have to be positive about doing his job and leave most of the criticism for the coaches. Quinn is an activist D coach anyway.

It is his job to do it when guys screen him or deflect a shot in past him. They all communicate on the ice, so if he is telling a guy he is doing something wrong, and he continues to do it, why shouldn't he be yelled at. A coach doesn't know if a guy keeps screening the goalie, the goalie has to do it himself. And again, at your job, if someone screws you, are you gonna run to a boss or tell him yourself? He has to say something to a player when it happens so the player knows not to do it again in the game. Goalies see more of whats going on in a game than a forward or defensemen, so they communicate with their players more.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the moment, I doubt that Lundqvist can gauge how well teammates are doing their job - more likely he is emotionally venting. A blocked shot helps a goaltender while a deflected shot makes his job more difficult - the action by the defender is the same, just with a different result. So does a blocked shot mean that a player did his job while a deflected shot means he didn't? If an opponent is in the crease, a defender has to guard him or try and move him out, both of which will reduce the goalie's visibility. so most of the reasons why a goalie would bitch are at players that are just trying to do their job. An awful lot for Lundqvist to assess when he is supposed to be stopping the puck and anticipating puck movement between opponents.

Better to leave the coaching and corrections to the bench. Goalies may see more of the game than forwards or defensemen, but they are still not seeing as much as coaches, and are biased in their perspective.

All good points. When Hank talks or screams at playrs after a goal he should not be making it so publicly obvious. We don't know what most goalies say to their teammates because we can't see their mouths. To point, flail, step up to, with your head shaking and shame someone who is a professional athlete is inexcusable. I was glad when JT Miller actually yelled back at him a couple of weeks before the trade. If he has something to say to a teammate it should happen in the lockeroom or with less dramatics on the ice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It is his job to do it when guys screen him or deflect a shot in past him. They all communicate on the ice, so if he is telling a guy he is doing something wrong, and he continues to do it, why shouldn't he be yelled at. A coach doesn't know if a guy keeps screening the goalie, the goalie has to do it himself. And again, at your job, if someone screws you, are you gonna run to a boss or tell him yourself? He has to say something to a player when it happens so the player knows not to do it again in the game. Goalies see more of whats going on in a game than a forward or defensemen, so they communicate with their players more.

Yea but you're not yelling at your co-worker in from of other co-worker or 18,000 people.

They all communicate on the ice, so if he is telling a guy he is doing something wrong, and he continues to do it, why shouldn't he be yelled at.

You make great points about communication and what goalies are able to see. So, if you are encouraging Hank to communicate and inform, awesome.

It is the yelling at part that some have a problem with. It is not his job to be disciplinarian or head coach. It is one thing to offer a coaching tip or firm instruction, but we don't want our players/goalies to be expected to critique and yell at teammates after goals, bad plays and losses. Particularly not in front of the crowd or cameras. Quite the opposite.

GAA has nothing to do with shots. Its goal against per 60 minutes.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Let me clarify that

GAA is in reference/correlation vs shots per game

Not shots per season

So when comparing his GAA against another goaltender....show me shots per game

You showed a difference in shots per season, in that case reference goals against per season

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So are you saying goalies haven?t started saying things to their teammates mid game until Hank came along?

I?m saying most professional adults know how to deal with adversity.

Hank is not the first, but that does not excuse the behavior.

Anytime you reference ?well so and so did it...?

You lose the high ground

You make great points about communication and what goalies are able to see. So, if you are encouraging Hank to communicate and inform, awesome.

It is the yelling at part that some have a problem with. It is not his job to be disciplinarian or head coach. It is one thing to offer a coaching tip or firm instruction, but we don't want our players/goalies to be expected to critique and yell at teammates after goals, bad plays and losses. Particularly not in front of the crowd or cameras. Quite the opposite.

If there is an issue with a player screwing up all game and costing scoring chances for the other team, you don’t wait u til the end of the game or in between periods to say something. And players yell at each other all the time. You don’t think the captain yells at his team on the bench when they are having a shitty game. Player communication, whether it’s talking or arguing with a teammate is part of the game. Their are a lot of emotions and when someone messes up, a pissed off teammate is gonna happen. As for doing it during a game or when cameras are on, why would you wait until the plane ride home to tell a player to stop screening you?

I?m saying most professional adults know how to deal with adversity.

Hank is not the first, but that does not excuse the behavior.

Anytime you reference ?well so and so did it...?

You lose the high ground

Totally disagree. It?s part of any game where players who are playing badly and costing their team get yelled at by teammates. Has nothing to do with being an adult. At your job, if your fellow employee screws up and it screws you, are you gonna say something to them at that moment or wait until the boss says something to him? And you said it?s the new thing for people to complain, which is why I posted what I did.

Totally disagree. It?s part of any game where players who are playing badly and costing their team get yelled at by teammates. Has nothing to do with being an adult. At your job, if your fellow employee screws up and it screws you, are you gonna say something to them at that moment or wait until the boss says something to him?

I?ll talk to them like a adult rather than throwing a tantrum in public...

But that?s just me

Saying and athlete should say something to another teammate or yell at them because they are in public makes zero sense. The game is on TV and people are there to watch the game, when are they supposed to do it? It happens in every sport, people forget this is their job, they aren’t doing this for fun.

Not quite.

We work in a facility/camp environment

Approx 2k employees in a remote area.

So you have a different work environment, so while your doing your job, if someone screws up, your gonna say something to them. A large crowd isn’t watching you do your job, there is a huge difference between the two.

So you have a different work environment, so while your doing your job, if someone screws up, your gonna say something to them. A large crowd isn?t watching you do your job, there is a huge difference between the two.

I?m completely confused.

You are saying it?s more acceptable to yell at coworkers in public than in private?

And let?s get one thing straight....Lundy is not yelling at employees....these are coworkers

The coach gets to yell at employees

Saying and athlete should say something to another teammate or yell at them because they are in public makes zero sense. The game is on TV and people are there to watch the game, when are they supposed to do it? It happens in every sport, people forget this is their job, they aren?t doing this for fun.
You could always address it after the game in the room.

I do have to say it's remarkable...

Torts yelled at Hank...fired

Steps yelled at Hank...traded

Hank yelled at:

G...traded

McD...traded

Smith...demoted

Staal...lost an eye

Remarkable.

I’m completely confused.

You are saying it’s more acceptable to yell at coworkers in public than in private?

And let’s get one thing straight....Lundy is not yelling at employees....these are coworkers

I’m saying that your on Hank because he yelled at a coworker in public and that you would only do it in private. But the difference between your job and an athletes is that there job is public. When they are performing it, it’s usually on TV and is always in front of a crowd, so where should he say something to a teammate?

And again, you have never argued or said anything to a coworker over a mistake?

Hank yelled at:

G...traded

McD...traded

Smith...demoted

Staal...lost an eye

Remarkable.

dude... come on, lol.

I’m completely confused.

You are saying it’s more acceptable to yell at coworkers in public than in private?

And let’s get one thing straight....Lundy is not yelling at employees....these are coworkers

Not really. There is def a rank structure in sports. Hank and Kampfer are not equal coworkers.

I?m saying that your on Hank because he yelled at a coworker in public and that you would only do it in private. But the difference between your job and an athletes is that there job is public. When they are performing it, it?s usually on TV and is always in front of a crowd, so where should he say something to a teammate?

And again, you have never argued or said anything to a coworker over a mistake?

Well i don?t yell at employees....so let?s scratch that.

But i don?t think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, it?s how you react that makes the difference.

Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact it?s hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above

Hank yelled at:

G...traded

McD...traded

Smith...demoted

Staal...lost an eye

Remarkable.

So your saying that they were all traded because of Hank? Your wrong. Torts has an issue with the entire team, not just Hank. Girardi was bought out because of his play, Smith was demoted because of his play. And. Need some sort of proof to show that Step and McD were traded because they yelled at Hank. If you don’t have any proof, the your arguing for the sake of arguing here because there is zero reason to post anything like this.

Well i don’t yell at employees....so let’s scratch that.

But i don’t think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, it’s how you react that makes the difference.

Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact it’s hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above

But again, it’s in the context of his job. The guy gets ridiculed when he screws up, and rightfully so, but when another teammate is the cause or is constantly causing scoring chances, I have zero problem with him saying something to another player at that time. It’s not just Hank that does it either. It’s players in all sports. It happens in the NFL and MLB as well. Their office is on the field.

But again, it?s in the context of his job. The guy gets ridiculed when he screws up, and rightfully so, but when another teammate is the cause or is constantly causing scoring chances, I have zero problem with him saying something to another player at that time. It?s not just Hank that does it either. It?s players in all sports. It happens in the NFL and MLB as well. Their office is on the field.

So you are ok with players yelling at hank?

And players yelling at each other?

Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged

Archived