• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 NHL Entry Draft – Movin' On Up into the Top-Five – Live Discussion

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta love it. We make a stupid pick, everyone has a visceral gut reaction to it, and then we rapidly review social media, scouting reports, and highlight reels trying to find any way to justify it. I guarantee you we'd be hearing about the same mitigating factors and rationalizations if we had taken someone ranked in the 30's instead of Krav.

I see a pattern here. Lias, Chytil and Krat played against men at a high level as youngsters right? Accelerated rebuild is the idea

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I guess that?s fine my only worry is are they passing up guys with higher ceilings just to get things moving quicker?

It?s a recipe for more mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I guess that?s fine my only worry is are they passing up guys with higher ceilings just to get things moving quicker?

It?s a recipe for more mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No way to know that now though. What if we just drafted another Ovechkin to their Tarasenko? I don't think anyone would complain. Too early to tell.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I see a pattern here. Lias, Chytil and Krat played against men at a high level as youngsters right? Accelerated rebuild is the idea

There's another pattern here too. Going for character, going for two-way players, and ending up with the same thing you ended up with in 2010-2015. A good team, with a lot of solid players, and no game-breaking talent. And then when we realize we have no game-breaking talent, we'll spend to the cap on every July 1st, we'll move futures for that "one last piece," because all we need is that star player, and guess what? We'll fall short again. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

In the last 6 years, 3 players have reached 45 points on the US national dev team.

Matthews- 48

Wahlstrom- 45

Eichel- 45

All in the same amount of games.

That puts things in perspective...Still! No way to know how it'll turn out, Eichel still has crap teamates he's a playmaker, we could have a team full of playmakers and have a scorer locked up for the long haul.

Last thing before I bow out for the evening and go get drunk, because at this time I'm bordering on troll territory. These two drafts have set our Cup prospects back another decade. We had a chance to do this right, and insisted we knew better than every scouting service on earth. Gordie Clarke needs to be fired. Get ready for another rebuild in 2028, and another 10 years without a Cup.

And if you think I'm being overly dramatic, I'll ask you to kindly mark this post for future reference. Time will tell all.

There's another pattern here too. Going for character, going for two-way players, and ending up with the same thing you ended up with in 2010-2015. A good team, with a lot of solid players, and no game-breaking talent. And then when we realize we have no game-breaking talent, we'll spend to the cap on every July 1st, we'll move futures for that "one last piece," because all we need is that star player, and guess what? We'll fall short again. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Which is how you end up trading piles of assets for Gaborik, Nash, St. Louis...

Not saying Kravstov cannot be That Guy, but Whalstrom did look at least superficially closer to That Guy. And plausible you could've got him with one of the back end picks anyway.

Archived