• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

Phil

The rangers don’t? The isles are in better shape than the rangers especially if Tavares stays which is more likely than him landing with the rangers. They have barzal and a better group of forwards than the rangers. Their defense is suspect but the rangers are worse. Their goaltending is a disaster. All in all though they have a better prospect pool and have at least an equal roster to the rangers. They don’t have a goalie but even without Tavares they have barzal which is nearly impossible to find.

Who cares about the Rangers? We're talking about the Islanders. It's foolish to trade 2 top 10ish picks to get to #4, they have a lot of holes so 11+12 are two quality players.

If you want to look at it from our perspective, we're picking at 9 and then in the 20's. It's not even close to the same.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great I view it as foolish to trade the assets it’s going to take the rangers to move 5 spots to take a player who is marginally better than the one they will get at 9. In fact just as likely the player taken at 9 in this draft is as good or better than the guy at 5

I agree. I'd rather stick with nine. But the Rangers can still move up in the draft without moving from nine by packaging BOS and TBL together to move into the middle somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

i wouldn't be against this. would rather at this point just sit where we are and get the picks right.

Personally I have very little interest in the risk of overpaying to move up higher than #9, if it were even possible, unless the guarantee of return outweighs the risk and cost. The pundits say those 5 or 6-9 picks are much of a muchness..

Having see how this historically team drafts second tier players and outright busts with picks in the #7 range, I'm not confident in its ability to get value with a slightly higher pick than #9.

As for the picks in the teens, I'm open to being more open minded on that, but I don't know if NYR would be getting is better and closer to the NHL than what NYR already has to offer. I just don't know.

Idk that I agree with this. Other than JT and Barzal, they don't have anything. Lee, Eberle and Beauvillier are alright, but their production is a product of those two guys. de Haan is probably the only defenseman who would be an actual upgrade on NYR, and that's only after whoever is on the third pair.

There's a reason they were worse than the Rangers after the deadline.

40g 22a 62pts Lee is just "alright"? WTF -- He's a beast. He's top-7 in the NHL in goals.

If he's just alright I need to start drinking again. I can't knock a guy for putting pucks in the net when it's his job on the top line with a top center.

OK so his playmaking is not balanced, more of a scorer, but I've seen 10 years of various Rangers doing exactly the opposite. Not scoring enough goals on the top line, or not scoring them when they're needed (Nash). Heck even in points he's right there with Mathews, Landeskog, Bergeron, Zucker, Nylander, Arvidsson, Couture.

I'd love to have him on a Rangers' top line. I don't know how he got to -25 but the bloke sure scores like a top NHL forward

The more I think about it, Kotkaniemi sounds more and more like our pick.

Just like Lias and Filip. Playing in his home country against pros, one of the younger players in the draft and a little off the boards at #9 in real Rangers fashion. Another C tho, would leave us with 4 first round center prospects (Lias, Chytil, Howden, Kotka).

I dont know, just dont fuck this up Gorton.

The way his stock seems to be rising I wouldn't be overly shocked to see one of the teams in front of us grab him. That, of course, wouldn't be the worse thing in the world because then one of the other guys would then fall back to 9th.

The way his stock seems to be rising I wouldn't be overly shocked to see one of the teams in front of us grab him. That, of course, wouldn't be the worse thing in the world because then one of the other guys would then fall back to 9th.

Someone is bound to "fall" to us at 9. It seems to be the cutoff.

Unfortunately, that's going to mean picking the 5th best RHD in the draft, or going "off the board" a bit.

All the teams drafting ahead of us, with, perhaps Chicago being an exception, are in the midst of deep rebuilds, and will most likely grab the guys needing development. IMO, Kotkaniemi is rising up the draft boards, not only due to his talent, but also the timeframe in which he will be able to play and make an impact at the NHL - similar to why the Rangers picked Andersson last season. Edmonton - maybe, but they should get their Dman, but starting with Dallas at 13 - he'll go quickly, if available.

So, back to 9... you are either taking the last (7th, 8th?) top defenseman available, hope a winger falls to you Tkachuk, Walhstrom , pick a "safe" American/Canadian 2-way depth forward/dman yipee! or go off the board and draft a foreigner with high potential.

We're in a shitty spot and you wont be able to figure out whats going on until draft night. I'd much rather see Wahlstrom fall then to pick Dobson or Smith.

I’d be more than fine with Bouchard, Hughes, Wilde, Dobson or smith probably in that order.

Picks 1-5 you have to figure is going to be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Tkachuk. We are going to have options and it will be good ones

There is absolutely no chance of Tkachuk being available at #9.

We might get lucky with Wahlstrom and I agree I?d much rather go for him than Dobson or Smith.

Good. Let someone else regret picking him top 5

I’ve asked you before on this, what is it you know about Tkachuk that literally every single scout worth listening to doesn’t?

Every single scout thought Patrik Stefan was good.

I think out of the top 10 forwards projected, he will score the least amount of goals. So not really sure what the obsession is.

If goals are the only factor in judging the player then you maybe right. He’s not a franchise changer but he’s pretty safe to be a good top 6 forward that will average 20 goals

On a side note on Sirius nhl today they were suggesting that the isles may want to trade their first two picks for the number 5 so they guarantee themselves one of the top defenseman.

Goals are what the team needs the most. If I have a top 10 pick and there's a guy with potential for 35 goals and a dependable 2 way forward who will pot 22...I'm taking the 35 goal guy. Every. Single. Time.

I don’t disagree but that doesn’t make Tkachuk a bad pick. Most scouts seem to think that at worst he’s his brother. That a pretty good player.

But Matthew is no 35 goal scorer, and I think that's Pete's point.

I get it. Some teams maybe more comfortable taking a guy that at worst it’s seems like a 25 goal guy that’s a pain in ass to play against and brings it 100% every night. He’s the safe pick. It doesn’t make anybody right. I get Pete’s point. I was trying to explain why he’s considered a top 5 talent. I don’t think he should go before 5 buts that’s me. I will say if he’s there at 9 you have to take him laughing at your good fortune.

The issue with Tkachuk isn't Tkachuk. It's everyone around him who appear to be more productive/higher-impact offensive players. With a pick that high, when you have a clear shot at drafting a measurably more talented player, you do. It's ridiculous to draft for intangibles that early. It's the same misguided thinking that lead to the McIlrath pick.

I've made no effort to hide my hopes that the Rangers somehow get the kid, but there are players who belong picked well ahead of him. The more talented ones, to be precise.

I'd imagine Tkachuk is more of a safe/sure thing pick as compared to Mcllrath though. No? You KNOW his basement. But he can be even more. It's tougher than it seems like some seem to be leaning these DAYS. How are people falling off this bandwagon now?

Obviously we fans are dying for a legit scorer. But can the Rangers afford to miss on this pick? Euro scoring types are dangerous picks. Imo, from what I read and all the hype from the past season here, Tkachuk is at least a 2nd line type. Tops out as a legit new school powerforward/ franchise player.

What's the basement on these other names? Not even coming to NA? And if they do, how long until they come here?

I'm definitely not as informed about these potential picks, but I think they need to pick more of a no brainer, that they know will be here to start the season.

Archived