• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

Phil

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumor has Carolina looking to trade the second pick for a #1 center and a #1 pick.

Sounds to steep to me, especially considering the Rangers still don't have a true #1 center.

Prior to the lottery, I mentioned sending Zib + to Montreal to move up to 2/3. They are in desperate need of a center, and he's the closest we got to a current 1C.

It would probably take more than Zib + 9 + 30th to get it done, and I'm not sure thats the road we want to travel.

9 + 27 + 30? Not sure Montreal or Carolina does that - unless they try to flip the picks for that center... but that's a lot of moving parts

Well no one who fits the definition of "#1 center" is going to get traded so...

Exactly. We don’t have the piece to make that trade even if we wanted to.

And I don’t imagine anyone with an actual #1 Center is going to bite. For Dahlin there might be a deal to be made.

There are roughly 3 options for them. The Sharks decide to move one of Couture/ Pavelski, the Caps move Backstrom, the Leafs move one of Nylander/Marner. Beyond that, anyone as good or better than Zib is unlikely to be availible, and outside of the Young Leafs, Zib is the youngest and has the best contract.

There are roughly 3 options for them. The Sharks decide to move one of Couture/ Pavelski, the Caps move Backstrom, the Leafs move one of Nylander/Marner. Beyond that, anyone as good or better than Zib is unlikely to be availible, and outside of the Young Leafs, Zib is the youngest and has the best contract.

I don't think they should trade zib for a pick. Zib is the exact kind of player the Rangers need.

I'd offer Vesey/Hayes or both and a 1st. Other than that, no.

Well no one who fits the definition of "#1 center" is going to get traded so...

No, but if they take Zibanejad and a C with #9 (no C's are slotted to go this high, just W and D). So they could end up with young acting 1C (Zib) while their future C (selected 9th overall) develops.

If they can get a 60-70pt 1C now, plus the pick - that's a big improvement for their the current team and the future.

Essentially, I think the Rangers should do the same thing with 9. (No "franchise changing player at our pick". Dont need the LHD, trade for 2 later picks, grap depth RHD and depth forward)

Do you fill a hole with something that doesnt fit (drafting Zadina instead of a C), or drastically improve other areas of your game, and the problem could eventually fix itself (prospect development)

You never know when it comes to the summer. I dont think a lot of us expected the Brassard and Stepan trades.

We love getting rid of centers, so who knows.

All depends. If we draft 2 and 9, I'm okay without Zib, especially if we're going after Tavares...

Vesey wont get you anything via trade.

With RFAs, you never know what someone might give. Zibs will get you the most via trade, no question.

Thing is, I really want to try Zibanejad on the wing for an extended period. Even watching him on the bigger ice surface - he looks so much more comfortable when he can skate.

I'd much rather trade picks for players, though. (But we also need to unload a salary or 2)

All depends. If we draft 2 and 9, I'm okay without Zib, especially if we're going after Tavares...

I see it as the first time in an eon we have a chance at having two top-tier centers at their respective positions. I would cut elsewhere before I let a player that talented go. I also don't see one of those teams going for Zibs+ in place of their top pick.

No because what if Tavares doesn't sign here? Which is a GOOD possibility. Just because we want him, doesn't mean it happens.

Even if Tavares signed, we'd still have 1 good NHL ready center. That's the opposite of what we should be doing.

No because what if Tavares doesn't sign here? Which is a GOOD possibility. Just because we want him, doesn't mean it happens.

Even if Tavares signed, we'd still have 1 good NHL ready center. That's the opposite of what we should be doing.

Names isn't an nhl ready center? In this scenario, If Tavares doesn't sign, you're basically trading Zib for Svechinkov. This isn't a bad plan B if Tavares goes elsewhere.

Kovalchuk - Names - Svechinkov

Kreider - Chytil - Buch

Andersson - Hayes - Zucc

Again, like I said, I'd prefer to keep Zib, but at his age with his contract he has a lot more value than Hayes. If Carolina would take Hayes, the #26, plus another RFA that'd be great. But, as much as the organization expects to compete for a playoff spot next year, we're rebuilding. If trading Zib and a later pick or two lands you the #2 and 9 pick this year you gotta jump on it.

Names isn't an nhl ready center? In this scenario, If Tavares doesn't sign, you're basically trading Zib for Svechinkov. This isn't a bad plan B if Tavares goes elsewhere.

Kovalchuk - Names - Svechinkov

Kreider - Chytil - Buch

Andersson - Hayes - Zucc

Again, like I said, I'd prefer to keep Zib, but at his age with his contract he has a lot more value than Hayes. If Carolina would take Hayes, the #26, plus another RFA that'd be great. But, as much as the organization expects to compete for a playoff spot next year, we're rebuilding. If trading Zib and a later pick or two lands you the #2 and 9 pick this year you gotta jump on it.

After Namestnikov's time with the Rangers you're ready to make him the #1 center? Did we watch different players?

I would not sign up for this roster next season.

Archived