• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

Phil

I’m more comfortable taking him at 9 than I would at 4.

OK how about 5? Who do you feel more safe taking? Safe as in, will definitely be here by next year or ever and at least be a 2nd liner?

Do we really want to go first liner talent with the potential of complete bust or never coming here?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean like Pavel Brendl? Imo Tkachuk should go 5. At 9 he’s a no brainer. I wouldn’t trade up 4 spots to get him because of everything everyone is saying. You don’t overpay for character, you overpay for talent. But he can’t just ignore character either. The guy would bring something that is very hard to find. He plays a nasty game and he plays it with skill. I’m not saying anything about any other player or implying anything. Please don’t make assumptions. To be totally honest Tkachuk is the one guy in this top ten I can pretty comfortably say I think I know what he’ll end up being. The other guys I know what potentially they can be but I know they can potentially be Pavel Brendl too. Tkachuk for the most part is a low risk pick.

OK how about 5? Who do you feel more safe taking? Safe as in, will definitely be here by next year or ever and at least be a 2nd liner?

Do we really want to go first liner talent with the potential of complete bust or never coming here?

I think you need more than a solid 2nd line player with a top pick.

I’m not completely sold on the kid being anything special to warrant being taken that high. I’ve said I like the 10-20 projected picks groups more than the 1-9. Just preference, really.

The issue with Tkachuk isn't Tkachuk. It's everyone around him who appear to be more productive/higher-impact offensive players. With a pick that high, when you have a clear shot at drafting a measurably more talented player, you do. It's ridiculous to draft for intangibles that early. It's the same misguided thinking that lead to the McIlrath pick.

I've made no effort to hide my hopes that the Rangers somehow get the kid, but there are players who belong picked well ahead of him. The more talented ones, to be precise.

Pretty much this.

And by the way his brother is 20. Not 24, 20. He?s put up 24 goals 49 points as a 19-20 year old. I would think he will score over 30 when he peaks. If that is what Brady is going to be that is hardly a bad pick at 9 or 5.

His brother averaged out to 29 goals this last season had he not gotten injured...this as a 20 year old.

Little brother is a bigger, faster, more talented version.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

His brother averaged out to 29 goals this last season had he not gotten injured...this as a 20 year old.

Little brother is a bigger, faster, more talented version.

Mehhhh,. Brett Lindros was hyped a little bit too no? I guess the hype has dropped on Tkachuk. If he's on the board and the Rangers are picking at a 5-9 spot, I'm ecstatic.

I dunno. I've seen Tkachuk listed at the 2 spot in rankings for NA skaters. I'm unaware of how these rankings are figured.

Mehhhh,. Brett Lindros was hyped a little bit too no? I guess the hype has dropped on Tkachuk. If he's on the board and the Rangers are picking at a 5-9 spot, I'm ecstatic.

I dunno. I've seen Tkachuk listed at the 2 spot in rankings for NA skaters. I'm unaware of how these rankings are figured.

In his case, Tkachuk is expected to be better than older brother in about every facet of game. The same was never said about Lindros

You have a top 10 pick and the option to draft a kid might become Wayne Simmonds or a kid that might become Tyler Seguin. Who do you pick?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seguin. But he's NA.... You know he's not going to decide to possibly stay home and or play in the KHL. Seguin was also the 2nd overall pick in his draft. A draft that kinda stunk as far as picks 5 through 13 went... After that it got good with,

Tarasenko went 16th.

Schwartz went 14th

Kuznetsova went 26th

Kevin Hayes 24th

No exact science of where to pick the goal scorer, unless you're drafting top 3 and for what considered a sure thing. I say you go for the player you WANT and weigh what's available with the other picks. Maybe they like Tkachuk early and have a scorer targeted with the other picks?

Which player is more likely to be a franchise building block? Especially for a team trying to do so on the fly.

A little more relevant to the Rangers possible situation, the question is,... Do you draft Jeff Skinner or Jaden Schwartz if you are te picking in the 5- 15 slot..

Who cares? Point is scouts can be wrong and often are.

And that would be a big reason why a team might take the safer player in Tkachuk rather than the guy who has the higher potential. In Tkachuk they get an almost surefire top 6 forward who plays a physical 200 ft game. He projects as a 25g 60pt guy. He will probably never lead the league in goals but he will also not go bust and fail to make an impact in the league.

Seguin. But he's NA.... You know he's not going to decide to possibly stay home and or play in the KHL. Seguin was also the 2nd overall pick in his draft. A draft that kinda stunk as far as picks 5 through 13 went... After that it got good with,

Tarasenko went 16th.

Schwartz went 14th

Kuznetsova went 26th

Kevin Hayes 24th

No exact science of where to pick the goal scorer, unless you're drafting top 3 and for what considered a sure thing. I say you go for the player you WANT and weigh what's available with the other picks. Maybe they like Tkachuk early and have a scorer targeted with the other picks?

Which player is more likely to be a franchise building block? Especially for a team trying to do so on the fly.

Completely missed the point. It's not about other draft years or other players. The only comparison to make is the players on the board while you're on the clock. If you have...

Player A) 40/40 guy, dynamic offensive threat, guy you point to on the bench when you really need a goal

Player B) 30/30 guy, plays a hard physical game, willingly goes to the dirty areas

Both are valuable. Which is worth a top 10 pick?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Completely missed the point. It's not about other draft years or other players. The only comparison to make is the players on the board while you're on the clock. If you have...

Player A) 40/40 guy, dynamic offensive threat, guy you point to on the bench when you really need a goal

Player B) 30/30 guy, plays a hard physical game, willingly goes to the dirty areas

Both are valuable. Which is worth a top 10 pick?

I maybe wrong but I don’t think anyone is debating that. I don’t think anyone here would take Tkachuk over Zadina or Svechnikov. I wouldn’t take him over Boqvist. Myself I’d take Bouchard before Tkachuk but I get why others would disagree. Is there a player who’s dynamic that I’m missing that would be a major mistake at pick 5 to pass on for Tkachuk?

What insight do you have on tkachuk that nobody else is seeing.

Your point of scouts/GM?s/coaches are sometimes wrong could apply to anyone of the draft.

Exactly. There is no insight. Contrarian for contrarian sake statements should not diminish Tkachuk and the reasons he has held a top 5 ranking with everyone, the entire year. A few have him at #2 or #3.

Plenty of us here have provided quite a bit of info and insight on the kid, throughout the year. Many (myself included), have watched a number of his games and followed his progress. I respect the considered difference of opinion King, Josh or Fatty have offered. They've followed the player and our discussions and provide considered reasoning.

Personally, I'd seriously consider a trade up to #4 or #5 to select Tkachuk. He will be a 30 goal scorer. He looks like he can play center, D and faceoff skills are there. His high character, desire, commitment and size seem to ensure that he achieves his potential, making him a low risk pick. He already has skills, a nose for the net and produces in tight spaces. What is not to like?

Sidenote: I'd if Zadina and Svechnikov are available at #4, I'd still trade up. These 3 are the best prospects of this forward class. Wahlstrom is more of a one trick pony, with potential to add more. Additionally, Boqvist's explosive upside places him a good notch above every other Dman and could result in him being selected before one of the 3 forwards. I'd consider a trade up for him, as well. He is that good.

I'm not sure the only parameter you look for when drafting players is goals, although it's obviously important when drafting a forward early.

In any case this guy is projected to be one of the best 2 way players in the league, adding immense physicality and grit whilst putting up around 25 goals a season.

That's a goals output on par with guys like Wheeler, Gaudreau and Crosby.

There is only a small handful of players like that in the league, and every single one of them are incredibly important pieces for their teams. I don't think whoever is lucky enough to get him will regret it at all, but time will tell.

I'm not sure the only parameter you look for when drafting players is goals, although it's obviously important when drafting a forward early.

In any case this guy is projected to be one of the best 2 way players in the league, adding immense physicality and grit whilst putting up around 25 goals a season.

That's a goals output on par with guys like Wheeler, Gaudreau and Crosby.

There is only a small handful of players like that in the league, and every single one of them are incredibly important pieces for their teams. I don't think whoever is lucky enough to get him will regret it at all, but time will tell.

Although I get what you're saying, putting him in the same sentence as Crosby is an enormous reach to make a point.

Archived