• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nick Holden Traded to Boston Bruins for [D] Rob O'Gara and 2018 Third Round Pick

ClearedForContact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of many that have done the same throughout the NHL. Rangers received a Norris trophy candidate in return, beefing up the defense even further. And that 3rd round pick. WOW!

Go Rangers

The Norris... remind me again, that's the participation trophy everyone wins at the end of the season, right? Since every NHL player is the same?

Serious question and not in any way in defense of Holden or any trades that follow. What are the odds a 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks chances are of ever becoming a meaningful NHL player. Sure it absolutely happens but trying to understand the odds, I bet they're pretty slim on average. I'm guessing the stat guys know this right off the top.

There's this but it's starting point is the 1990's:

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

We finally replaced Dylan McIlrath

Wasn't McIlrath something like 7th or 10th overall?

We don't truly get that one back unless some other team makes the kind of mistake our talent evaluators made with Marchessault. Another colossal blunder in 20-20 hindsight.

Serious question and not in any way in defense of Holden or any trades that follow. What are the odds a 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks chances are of ever becoming a meaningful NHL player. Sure it absolutely happens but trying to understand the odds, I bet they're pretty slim on average. I'm guessing the stat guys know this right off the top.

There's this but it's starting point is the 1990's:

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

Slim and slimmer.

Nothing to do with this trade, but time we tested the UFA market to see what we can get in return for Glen Sather.

In all fairness to Holden, he played well for what we were expecting him to be? a 3rd pair d-man. He was only being paid 1.65 mil. and we got him for a 4th Rder. But he?s 30 and wasn?t gonna be part of the rebuild, he?s gonna be free agent and we weren?t going anywhere so we needed to move him for assets.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Fair value was a 3rd, we got it. Good trade, good start.

If McD does go anywhere, Tampa has to be the favorite. Of the teams that make sense, they have surplus of young top 100 prospects plus a 1st to overcome the fact that no playoff team is trading/subtracting a valuable roster player.

Foote isn't that good. And neither size nor weight are worth the same as they were when their fathers played. Not in today's game. Go for mobility over all else. Even if it means taking a 5'8 guy over a 6'8 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Does Size Matter in the NHL Draft?

Updated: January 10, 2018 at 7:13 pm by Corey S.

As we get closer to the NHL Draft, you will see even more bloggers and media pundits continue to breakdown prospects and determine which player is the right fit for each team. They will look at stats, game tape and video packages to get the full lowdown on the players they are targeting, but asset that seems to be valued more than others is how big a player is at draft time.

Size and ?big body presence? are things that are praised by a lot of hockey observers, especially around draft time. The idea is that it will take more effort to keep the puck away from bigger forwards and that they can provide room for their linemates by adding a physical edge. Being concerned about size makes sense when looking at defensemen because they are expected to be involved physically if they play big minutes. What about forwards, though?

https://www.nhlnumbers.com/2012/06/08/does-size-matter-in-the-nhl-draft

Today is a good day. Never again will we have to see him giving up goals in the final minute of a playoff game. See-ya!

AVs head is going to explode from the confusion of not being able to put him out there late in games. Hes just not going to play any D men i guess.

Usatoday has this excerpt on Mattias Samuelsson: spects with NHL bloodlines:

Defenseman Mattias Samuelsson (U.S. National Under-18 Team): TSN draft analyst Craig Button, a former Calgary Flames general manager, says Samuelsson ?definitely has a chance to get into the first round.?

He?s the son of former NHL defenseman Kjell Samuelsson, who played 813 games for the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Kjell was 6-6, and his son Mattias is 6-4 and is a better skater. ?He might be a Brady Skjei type,? Button said.

What do you think of Skjei?

This is what the hockey news says of Cal Foote:

Much like his dad (long-time NHL defenseman Adam Foote), he skates very well in a straight line and can recuperate quickly. Is bigger and stronger than his father and can shut opponents down. Owns a very hard shot.FLAWS:Is simply not as physically imposing as his father was, as he seems to lack Adam Foote's mean streak. Also, like his father, he is not great with the puck on his stick and will not be an impact offensive D-man at the highest level.CAREER POTENTIAL:Big, big-minute and big-shooting defenseman with upside.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

O'Gara was one of my favorite prospects when he was at Yale. Very good defensively and very tough, but not flashy. Don't know what's gone on with him since.

Buried. Too many guys to leap over, and he he not "it" factor. He'd have 2+ years NHL experience if he was rh

Archived