• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nick Holden Traded to Boston Bruins for [D] Rob O'Gara and 2018 Third Round Pick

ClearedForContact

Buried. Too many guys to leap over, and he he not "it" factor. He'd have 2+ years NHL experience if he was rh

We can only hope, his AHL numbers are rather anemic and his lack of PIMs would seem to indicate his not very physical at all. I would think he would be tearing up the AHL if he would of earned 2+ years in the NHL regardless with him being LH at the AHL level. In the end Holden wasn't a part of the future so you take what you can get.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Usatoday has this excerpt on Mattias Samuelsson: spects with NHL bloodlines:

Defenseman Mattias Samuelsson (U.S. National Under-18 Team): TSN draft analyst Craig Button, a former Calgary Flames general manager, says Samuelsson ?definitely has a chance to get into the first round.?

He?s the son of former NHL defenseman Kjell Samuelsson, who played 813 games for the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Kjell was 6-6, and his son Mattias is 6-4 and is a better skater. ?He might be a Brady Skjei type,? Button said.

What do you think of Skjei?

This is what the hockey news says of Cal Foote:

Much like his dad (long-time NHL defenseman Adam Foote), he skates very well in a straight line and can recuperate quickly. Is bigger and stronger than his father and can shut opponents down. Owns a very hard shot.FLAWS:Is simply not as physically imposing as his father was, as he seems to lack Adam Foote's mean streak. Also, like his father, he is not great with the puck on his stick and will not be an impact offensive D-man at the highest level.CAREER POTENTIAL:Big, big-minute and big-shooting defenseman with upside.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Skates very well in a straight line is a fancy way of saying not an elite skater. If Samuellsson can move, fine.

Foote reads like Marc Staal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ranger Lothbrok just posted on the McD message board that Valiquette thinks McD ends up in TB. Anyone think he?s privy to any kind of Ranger management talks?

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not much. Management might purposely leak information around the deadline, but they are still pretty close lipped.

If he does have information regarding a trade involving McDonagh to TB, it probably means they have a solid offer from them, but want more from a different team and TB, and hope they both up the ante.

I literally wrote: "And neither size nor weight are worth the same as they were when their fathers played. Not in today's game. Go for mobility over all else. Even if it means taking a 5'8 guy over a 6'8 one."

"Spin".

How, exactly, does one spin verbatim? Who am I, Bill Clinton? "It depends on what your definition of is is".

Foote isn't that good. And neither size nor weight are worth the same as they were when their fathers played. Not in today's game. Go for mobility over all else. Even if it means taking a 5'8 guy over a 6'8 one.

Well, at some point, you need a Seabrook to compliment a Keith. I've liked the play of DeAngelo and Gilmour, but they've gotten ragdolled a bit. Even Pionk has.

There are a lot of teams who mitigate skating but just dumping the puck in, crashing the net, and clogging the neutral zone - we've seen it a ton against the Rangers already. At some point, you are going to need some size to clear the front of the net. It's not like that aspect of the game is going away. We saw the Rangers get killed by it against Philly.

It's already gone away. Name one effective crease-clearing defenseman in the NHL today. Brayden Coburn? Is he even still playing? That role is gone.

Size helps, maybe, in not getting knocked off the puck. Like Hayes. I'm not sure it has a lick of value in crease-clearing. Not anymore.

It's already gone away. Name one effective crease-clearing defenseman in the NHL today. Brayden Coburn? Is he even still playing? That role is gone.

Size helps, maybe, in not getting knocked off the puck. Like Hayes. I'm not sure it has a lick of value in crease-clearing. Not anymore.

Body positioning to stop a guy from getting to the front? Happens on almost every possession in every game. But positioning isn't always effective if you're giving up 30 pounds. Kreider, as an example, can get anywhere he wants on the ice by simply being stronger and faster than everyone. In Nick Holden's case, you can't do that effectively if you are puck watching.

The term "crease-clearing" isn't literal in today's game. Preventing guys from screening the goalie, getting to rebounds, and deflections is all part of it.

That's not the same as crease-clearing. You're using a loaded term to describe something else. Like suggesting "speedster" applies to anyone who skates well (though not particularly fast).

As to the rest of your point, if you're better equipped to move the puck up and out of your own zone quickly, that size is wasted. It just lumbers around looking for something to do. The scenarios you are describing are most frequent when the team is pinned in their own end.

That's not the same as crease-clearing. You're using a loaded term to describe something else. Like suggesting "speedster" applies to anyone who skates well (though not particularly fast).

As to the rest of your point, if you're better equipped to move the puck up and out of your own zone quickly, that size is wasted. It just lumbers around looking for something to do. The scenarios you are describing are most frequent when the team is pinned in their own end.

It is the same. You are keeping the crease clear. But whatever, its semantics.

You think you don't have to protect the front of the net in transition? It's not exclusive to being pinned in your zone. I actually think it would be worse in transition. Teams wouldn't have to use any lateral movement - just throw the puck on goal and bulldoze to the front. We've seen it over and over and over again against the Rangers.

Body positioning to stop a guy from getting to the front? Happens on almost every possession in every game. But positioning isn't always effective if you're giving up 30 pounds. Kreider, as an example, can get anywhere he wants on the ice by simply being stronger and faster than everyone. In Nick Holden's case, you can't do that effectively if you are puck watching.

The term "crease-clearing" isn't literal in today's game. Preventing guys from screening the goalie, getting to rebounds, and deflections is all part of it.

Sadly, Holden is probably the best on the team at position himself goalside. And on top of that, he was the most physical defenseman on the team.

Not really helping your case on this one. Even less so by mentioning Kreider's speed - which allows him to get to those areas more than his size.

It is the same. You are keeping the crease clear. But whatever, its semantics.

You think you don't have to protect the front of the net in transition? It's not exclusive to being pinned in your zone. I actually think it would be worse in transition. Teams wouldn't have to use any lateral movement - just throw the puck on goal and bulldoze to the front. We've seen it over and over and over again against the Rangers.

not really.

Also, it's not always a smart move for the defense to be playing how you explained. That creates a flat footed defenseman watching the puck or the player. if you are turned the opposite way and "preventing a man getting to the crease" usually means you have a hand or stick on him - and youll get called for that. Not the first time, or the 2nd time, but word will spread and officials will eliminate it from your game.

Teams that do try to play this way get burned, too. Watching Pittsburgh, a lot of opponents d 'cheat' and stay down low. Penguins just stay to the outside, pass around because they , essentially, have a pp. The second those guys come out after the puck, 4 penguins crash the net.

If thou are 5" 11 and 195 lbs ,good luck clearing the front of the net against players like Ovie or Kreider

You cant move guys out, regardless. Its a penalty.

http://ingoalmag.com/technique/choosing-a-defensive-strategy-in-front-of-your-net-fronting-versus-net-side-positioning/

Choosing a Defensive Strategy in Front of your Net – Fronting versus Net-side Positioning

http://668d3eaa831be4d52f0d515f.ingoalmagazine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fronting.jpg

http://668d3eaa831be4d52f0d515f.ingoalmagazine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Hertz-Positioning_.jpg

Sadly, Holden is probably the best on the team at position himself goalside. And on top of that, he was the most physical defenseman on the team.

Not really helping your case on this one. Even less so by mentioning Kreider's speed - which allows him to get to those areas more than his size.

I didn't say Holden was bad at it. I said, when he is bad at it, it's because he's not focused, not because of anything physical. Kreider isn't one of the two or three best net-front scorers in the league without his size.

Archived