• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should he be placed under house arrest this summer, only allowed to leave for purposes of working out?

The best approach to Smith is a clean slate. If he shows up and earns a spot, that's great. If there is a repeat of last year, he can be the subject of snarky threads for eternity.

Tough crowd.

Why you hate on this guy so much Josh?

Maybe he?s sour on the fact that the guy screwed the team over after signing a contract. Coming into camp out of shape among whatever else happened doesn?t exactly send a good message. He was barely a fraction of the guy they saw in the playoffs. But that?s just my guess.

Maybe he’s thinking “Shit, my brother is doing pretty well, maybe I should get my shit together. “

Or better yet: "Holy shit, the Stanley Cup Finals are amazing! I'll do whatever I have to do to get the Rangers here!"

The AV effect is now over..

Calling it now: Comeback Player of the Year!

This guy's gonna have the season of his life this season! In the NHL, not in Hartford! I was all over his signing like spots on a dalmatian! This guy is a good defenseman and simply played for a badly coached team, and a guy who didn't like or trust in him. I hope the Rangers give this guy another chance to grab glory by the sack and play his ass off up with the big team again.

He was SO good in the playoffs not 2 years ago...He still has that and I'll say it again:

COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR!

watch.....

I wouldn't make that call. They don't give the Masterton award to guys who got sent down because they got fat in the offseason lol.

I'd put good money on Jumbo getting it if he plays and is even decent next year, or EK65 b/c of his son.

Maybe he’s sour on the fact that the guy screwed the team over after signing a contract. Coming into camp out of shape among whatever else happened doesn’t exactly send a good message. He was barely a fraction of the guy they saw in the playoffs. But that’s just my guess.

I'm not entirely sold on his demotion being that if him coming to camp out of shape months earlier. There had to be beef with AV.

He didn't listen to a word AV said.

AV said, keep your head up. He put his head down.

AV said, hustle. He went slower!

That was the sloppiest playing I've ever seen.

Weird. I guess you missed McD, Skjei, Ogara, Gilmour, DeAngelo and Kampfers play all season. The entire D looked fucking lost, slow and uninterested in doing much of anything. Not sure how Smith gets singled out here. When Shattenkirk and Staal bring the most energy from your D (on both ends), there's an issue. Maybe it was Ruff (still not fired), but again, they ALL sucked for the year. Except maybe Pionk in the last 10 or so games.

You don?t find it strange that he wasn?t picked up on waivers? His contract doesn?t break the bank for what should have been a second pairing defender.. there was definitely something going on there. I don?t think saying he was being ?singled out? is accurate.

You don’t find it strange that he wasn’t picked up on waivers? His contract doesn’t break the bank for what should have been a second pairing defender.. there was definitely something going on there. I don’t think saying he was being “singled out” is accurate.

I DO find it strange. Very strange.

Maybe a shouting match with the player calling out the coach in the locker room, sends signals that he's a problem... ? I don't know if that happened. Just saying it's possible. Other teams wanted Smith over the summer. His game wasn't THAT atrocious, nor is his contract. Maybe it was off ice stuff, that we don't know of?

Wish someone could get the down low on what happened. It's kinda weird that they couldn't trade him and that nobody claimed him.

You don’t find it strange that he wasn’t picked up on waivers? His contract doesn’t break the bank for what should have been a second pairing defender.. there was definitely something going on there. I don’t think saying he was being “singled out” is accurate.

That contract is VERY prohibitive for someone who isn't playing well.

I'd bet that he'd be more likely to be picked up if it was a personality clash with the coach.

I DO find it strange. Very strange.

Maybe a shouting match with the player calling out the coach in the locker room, sends signals that he's a problem... ? I don't know if that happened. Just saying it's possible. Other teams wanted Smith over the summer. His game wasn't THAT atrocious, nor is his contract. Maybe it was off ice stuff, that we don't know of?

Wish someone could get the down low on what happened. It's kinda weird that they couldn't trade him and that nobody claimed him.

hmmm...

Weird. I guess you missed McD, Skjei, Ogara, Gilmour, DeAngelo and Kampfers play all season. The entire D looked fucking lost, slow and uninterested in doing much of anything. Not sure how Smith gets singled out here. When Shattenkirk and Staal bring the most energy from your D (on both ends), there's an issue. Maybe it was Ruff (still not fired), but again, they ALL sucked for the year. Except maybe Pionk in the last 10 or so games.

I don't think he was singled out. Shit, twitter went down every time Buchnevich didn't get a shift on the top line. DeAngelo spent most of the season in the A. Shattenkirk got demoted down the lineup pretty quickly.

People seemed to ignore most of Smith's issues until they were beyond detrimental. You can go back through, some called out his play and were quickly attacked by fellow posters for doing such.

I dont think we can count the end of the season guys like OGara, Gilmour, et al.

Since Smith's season has ended, I've been one of the most optimistic regarding his future... other than taking a crack at him for being in LV

I don't think he was singled out. Shit, twitter went down every time Buchnevich didn't get a shift on the top line. DeAngelo spent most of the season in the A. Shattenkirk got demoted down the lineup pretty quickly.

People seemed to ignore most of Smith's issues until they were beyond detrimental. You can go back through, some called out his play and were quickly attacked by fellow posters for doing such.

I dont think we can count the end of the season guys like OGara, Gilmour, et al.

Since Smith's season has ended, I've been one of the most optimistic regarding his future... other than taking a crack at him for being in LV

That's the thing. People were talking about Smith's play as if he sucked any more than the rest of the team/defense. They all STUNK. Every single one of them. I guess we all expected more from Smith than everyone else. If that's the case fine. I definitely didn't like all of what I saw from him. I expected more than what they got out of him.

Shattenkirk was shuffled up and down due to the typical rotation of trying to find a partner for McD. People were expecting him to be on the first pair and that experiment didn't last long at all. IMO not long enough, and it was never revisited again from what I can remember.

I think a lot of the gripes with Smith's play were a bit unwarranted due to how lost they all looked. But knocks about his physical game, and his lack of offense were definitely warranted.

Let's see if he can bounce back enough to grab a 2nd pairing spot.

Archived