• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

Really no surprise on this and yes is he staying up or going down. Sending him down would be a kick in the balls

The reality check is no one claimed him, thus going down to Hartford to fix his game is the only way he gets back up.

Obviously coming into Camp out of shape was a huge mistake. Beyond that, the only credible rumors I heard about Smith in the locker room was that he spoke out about the coach discouraging fighting. However the coaches have also been preaching to him about dumb penalties and dumb decisions and bluntly don't feel he has improved those things. Besides the penalties the dumb defensive decsions like not knowing when to NOT go deep offensively, puck decisions and positioning in our zone and defending entry.

He has a bunch of things to improve. Might as well join the Pack, they'll need the help. Until we hear more, it seems the staff wasn't seeing the improvement requested and once the rebuild was determined the possibility of his contract getting picked-up and the chance to evaluate a younger player likely sealed his fate.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That remark about fighting is likely true. Brooks mentioned it as well:

Plus, there must be an inspection of whether Vigneault’s undying belief in whistle-to-whistle, turn-the-other-cheek hockey has created a passive mentality among the Rangers. When Chris Kreider stood up for McDonagh after the captain was run from behind by Steven Stamkos in Tampa Bay in Game 6 of the 2015 conference finals, No. 20 was rebuked by the coach for picking up an additional two minutes. When Brendan Smith stood up for Tony DeAngelo in an imbroglio in L.A. with Trevor Lewis on Jan. 21, he was chastised for picking up a bad penalty.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/the-pros-and-cons-of-moving-forward-without-alain-vigneault/

That remark about fighting is likely true. Brooks mentioned it as well:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/the-pros-and-cons-of-moving-forward-without-alain-vigneault/

This just fucking boils my blood. I was at the LA game. That was the most excitement I've seen at a Rangers game in three years. Of course the Rangers folded like a cheap lawn chair after that. You need to play with fucking emotion to win games. You just do.

• 1 month later...
Good lord. What the hell happened to this guy? I understand Red Wings fans didn't want him, but he was really fucking solid for us down the stretch last year. What happened?

Because that wasn't him.

You don't expect Vesey to net a hattrick every night, do you?

Good lord. What the hell happened to this guy? I understand Red Wings fans didn't want him, but he was really fucking solid for us down the stretch last year. What happened?

Application, or lack thereof, I think.

The fact he turned up for training camp in a shit state tells you a lot. Only 100% will do in the NHL unless you're an incredibly special talent.

I think they should call him up and send him down a bunch of times in an effort to try to get someone to take him. Teams will get the injury bug and maybe try to take a chance on him. The contract isnt terrible. Waste all the call ups. Who cares. Tank.

yea... their defense is struggling because Gilmour got called up...

Gilmour was their AHL all-star game representative. They also lost Pionk and ADA. Weather they are great or not against NHL competition doesn't change the fact that they were three of the Pack's main D men all season and they all left at the same time....In addition, they don't have shit in goal without Georgiev.

Gilmour was their AHL all-star game representative. They also lost Pionk and ADA. Weather they are great or not against NHL competition doesn't change the fact that they were three of the Pack's main D men all season and they all left at the same time....In addition, they don't have shit in goal without Georgiev.

This is true. Georgiev is really good. I've liked his game a lot.

They were, and they were one of the worst groups in the league.

They were, and they were one of the worst groups in the league.

The pack was 9-0-1 from Jan 19 to Feb 10 and on the verge of playing their way into the playoffs. Pionk and Gilmour made their NHL debuts on Feb 9. Georgiev was called up the next day. They are 2-9-1 since.

Ouch. That's gotta be tough. I know the goal is always to make the NHL but there are plenty of guys who know they're career AHLers and the young guys who know they're not quite there yet. To constantly have your team fucked with due to call ups to the big squad, while being happy for your team mate, must suck when all you wanna do is win.

Archived