• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

I can’t help but think that besides the fact that he showed up out of shape to start the season. He and AV didn’t get along. Everyone knows AV hates for players to step up and retaliate or play the abrasive style that Smith likes to play. But a new coach should change that.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

God I hope so!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Smith returns to form, I'm really curious as to how things shake out. You'd be looking at...

Skjei - Pionk

Smith - Shatty

Staal - ADA

Am I missing someone? That gives us 4 guys who can play on the middle pair, and a really weak top pair. I don't think they're going to enter the season with this group, but as it stands now...woof.

If Smith returns to form, I'm really curious as to how things shake out. You'd be looking at...

Skjei - Pionk

Smith - Shatty

Staal - ADA

Am I missing someone? That gives us 4 guys who can play on the middle pair, and a really weak top pair. I don't think they're going to enter the season with this group, but as it stands now...woof.

Woof is right on as this group is not going to scare anyone.

Actions will speak louder than words, particularly an agent's words, but I see no reason not to give him a chance. It's not as if there are no roster spots for him to win. I suspect that the real Brendan Smith is not the stout defender of late season 2017 with the Rangers or the disaster of this past season but rather the passable, but inconsistent, defender of numerous seasons with Detroit. That's still better than what we have in the short term.

it's rare I lose faith in a player to the extent I lost faith in Smith.

His location and timing is not great as the Rangers who should be in full-on youth-movement mode will have to determine whether Smith would take away valuable NHL development time from a prospect on the cusp of being ready.

That said, in a perfect world, if he comes back strong and smart, he may have the opportunity to show the kids how the game is meant to be played. So the opportunity on this otherwise rather soft team is definitely there.

Which Smith will show up? The track record odds favor your scenario, and I suspect the bar will be set much higher for him than even before, lengthening those odds even further, but one can hope that the more unlikely perfect world scenario would emerge, I guess.

Total fluff.

The last fight against the Kempe (a guy who had never had a pro fight) pretty much turned that game around, I don't blame AV, not a smart move by Smith. Smith is hardly a tough guy who's going to scare anyone, certainly not a fighter who fights all that often and wins are pretty rare. Imo he wasn't banished to the AHL for stepping up for his teammates, he was sent down because his play was hot garbage on top of him showing up out of shape - that's inexcusable at any pro level. He got paid and he took his foot off the gas, that tells a lot about a player. He's not the first and he's not gonna be the last but there's no excuse for it. He was a big part of the problem last year playing himself into the minors. Who knows if he can turn it around but I would hope he's on a short leash and gets thrown back to Hartford if he continues to be a fraud.

the team was counting on him providing some defense, grit and snarl. The $multi-million gamble backfired badly. in fact, one could almsot thank him for this long overdue rebuild, as his absence (along with the Kreider and Shattenkirk injuries, and Hank's inconsistent goaltending) shone a bright light on the team's weaknesses/brought the skeletons out of the closet.

I doubt the team will be quick to count on him again, but if — and it seems to be a big IF — he plays himself onto the team in pre-season, and adds qualities that work for the rebuilding team, he would presumably have as much a chance as anyone, I guess.

Question for you knowledgeable guys --- what are the chances the we might see a small amount of Ryan Lindgren, Libor Hajek or Yegor Rykov ? Any chance? Are contracts an issue, or are these guys so far off it's not even a thought for 2018-19?

His location and timing is not great as the Rangers who should be in full-on youth-movement mode will have to determine whether Smith would take away valuable NHL development time from a prospect on the cusp of being ready.

Those are legitimate observations, but there is the small matter of his contract. Buying him out would be brutal for years and he is not tradeable, even with part of his salary retained. Best to buck up, hope he has some decent hockey in him, and if, after a relatively short opportunity to prove himself, it appears he does not, swallow hard and do what is necessary to get him off the roster and payroll.

I disagree. A rebuild shouldn't be full-on youth. The Rangers need to prioritize the long-term, yes, but it's also important to return to the playoffs as quickly as possible so it doesn't become a habit to lose.

A rebuild is exactly about giving chances to guys that you wouldn't normally give. Smith is still only 29 and we are stuck to his contract no matter what. Getting him back to a decent NHL level would be extremely valuable. He could even be a trade deadline chip if everything goes well.

Any way, it makes no sense to keep him buried in the AHL or to buy him out right now. At the very least you give him 10-15 games and chew off time on his contract. You only buy-out a player if you desperately need the cap space short-term, and that's the very opposite of the current situation for the Rangers.

This guy can play. We've seen it.

I just keep getting the gut feeling that he didn't see eye to eye with AV. AV had this team playing like they had stock in TAMPAX. Smith is a hard nosed, no bullshit, tough player. I'll never give up on this guy...he can be really good, and like I said before...we've already seen him play very well before in the playoffs.

A NEW COACH is going to do WONDERS for this kid, and this team, I believe.....especially a GOOD coach.

I disagree. A rebuild shouldn't be full-on youth. The Rangers need to prioritize the long-term, yes, but it's also important to return to the playoffs as quickly as possible so it doesn't become a habit to lose.

We've been losing since 1995 because quite frankly there is no incentive to win as far as the "office" is concerned.

I just keep getting the gut feeling that he didn't see eye to eye with AV. AV had this team playing like they had stock in TAMPAX. Smith is a hard nosed, no bullshit, tough player. I'll never give up on this guy...he can be really good, and like I said before...we've already seen him play very well before in the playoffs.

A NEW COACH is going to do WONDERS for this kid, and this team, I believe.....especially a GOOD coach.

Let's hope getting demoted lit a fire under his ass. Because it would be a huge gain for the team if he went back to being the player they originally signed. I'd hate to just bury this guy and his contract right now. Especially when the team needs defensemen.

We've been losing since 1995 because quite frankly there is no incentive to win as far as the "office" is concerned.

Define losing.

If the only definition of "winning" is a Cup, then most every team in the league is a "loser" and there's no real value in painting the Rangers as such.

Let's hope getting demoted lit a fire under his ass. Because it would be a huge gain for the team if he went back to being the player they originally signed. I'd hate to just bury this guy and his contract right now. Especially when the team needs defensemen.

I'm with you Dan! He's got something to prove and it's put up or shut up time for this dude. If he didn't get along with AV, I'm cool with it. I hated that fucker and his bullshit style too! But this is a new day and a new coach; this bastard starts playing like an asshat this year and it's off to fucking Siberia!! ....PERMANENTLY!!!

He's done if he can't get his shit together this go 'round!

(Originally posted this in the wrong thread)

Smith better come to camp hungry to get off the AHL bus. Damn he screwed the pooch and us in the process. Freakin’ guy needs a beating. I’m so angry. Ok, he’s not the savior but he can put the body on guys and can shoot the puck when allowed. Shatty must come back to the ice with fire. It’s not ideal but I’d ride Pionk a bit. Gorton’s hand is in the hat trolling around for a rabbit.

I think there was definitely something that didn’t work between him and AV.

I mean although he wasn’t playing great he was certainly no worse than a lot of the other rabble around him. So it seems his demotion wasn’t based on performance alone.

I think there was definitely something that didn’t work between him and AV.

I mean although he wasn’t playing great he was certainly no worse than a lot of the other rabble around him. So it seems his demotion wasn’t based on performance alone.

I think any coach would be hard on a player who showed up out of shape and then never found his game. Plus, sending him down (and keeping him there) gave room for more of the young guys to play. If I had to guess, that became a factor after the deadline.

If he can re-engage, he can still be a good player in a simpler system. The one thing that I hope translates from his time under AV is using his athleticism to make plays offensively. He has the talent to do it.

I think any coach would be hard on a player who showed up out of shape and then never found his game. Plus, sending him down (and keeping him there) gave room for more of the young guys to play. If I had to guess, that became a factor after the deadline.

If he can re-engage, he can still be a good player in a simpler system. The one thing that I hope translates from his time under AV is using his athleticism to make plays offensively. He has the talent to do it.

Indeed, but he didn't send him down for turning up a fat mess at training camp. He sent him down in february. I just don't think there was any particular reason to single him out on performances, as there was several others as shit or worse. But of course, if you're going to make an example out of someone or make room for younger players as you said then obviously the guy who turned up out of shape is easy to turn to.

But to be honest I just don't think AV liked him or his style at all.

I wonder if there's something else at play here.

I mean the fact that he's on a reasonable deal and no one claimed him says a ton. Might be some info going around the league about him.

We speculated, a bit, about potential issues... he had several drinking-related issues in college.

again, speculating. I don't know of anything specific. Just fits the profile.

We speculated, a bit, about potential issues... he had several drinking-related issues in college.

again, speculating. I don't know of anything specific. Just fits the profile.

Didn't everyone? LOL ....Some of us just got older. I'll go with this: "He USED TO have a drinking problem, but now he has enough MONEY!" ;)

Oz, you really didn't like AV?

You of all people, know how happy I am to see that guy pack his shit!!! :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived