• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pack was 9-0-1 from Jan 19 to Feb 10 and on the verge of playing their way into the playoffs. Pionk and Gilmour made their NHL debuts on Feb 9. Georgiev was called up the next day. They are 2-9-1 since.

What happened to Maranzec?

• 1 month later...

https://nypost.com/2018/04/26/rangers-next-coach-must-find-way-to-fix-the-defensive-chaos/

Brendan Smith had a train wreck of a season in 2017-18, waived to the AHL in early February, but No. 42 has been working out this week at the club’s practice facility in the first steps toward redeeming himself and resurrecting his career.

“He is committed to being Brendan Smith again,” Anton Thun, the 29-year-old defenseman’s agent, told The Post on Thursday. “Last season was like a perfect storm that blew not only him but the Rangers backwards. Brendan has only one goal in mind and that is to getting back to being the guy he was his first year with them after the trade.

“He will be training and working all summer. He is determined and confident that he can be not only that Brendan Smith again, but a better Brendan Smith.”

Actions will speak louder than words, particularly an agent's words, but I see no reason not to give him a chance. It's not as if there are no roster spots for him to win. I suspect that the real Brendan Smith is not the stout defender of late season 2017 with the Rangers or the disaster of this past season but rather the passable, but inconsistent, defender of numerous seasons with Detroit. That's still better than what we have in the short term.

Actions will speak louder than words, particularly an agent's words, but I see no reason not to give him a chance. It's not as if there are no roster spots for him to win. I suspect that the real Brendan Smith is not the stout defender of late season 2017 with the Rangers or the disaster of this past season but rather the passable, but inconsistent, defender of numerous seasons with Detroit. That's still better than what we have in the short term.

He's in the practice facility so it's a bit of both. The results may vary but if he's there doing the work it's hard to doubt.

If he plays the way he played when we acquired him he should absolutely win a spot.

I don't think anyone was upset that we re-signed him when we did. in '17 he played tough and pretty sound defense (not great, not a liability). Him fighting Shaw in the the MTL series was awesome. I hope that's the kind of player we get back to start 18-19

If he plays the way he played when we acquired him he should absolutely win a spot.

I don't think anyone was upset that we re-signed him when we did. in '17 he played tough and pretty sound defense (not great, not a liability). Him fighting Shaw in the the MTL series was awesome. I hope that's the kind of player we get back to start 18-19

tenor.gif?itemid=4434749

I can?t help but think that besides the fact that he showed up out of shape to start the season. He and AV didn?t get along. Everyone knows AV hates for players to step up and retaliate or play the abrasive style that Smith likes to play. But a new coach should change that.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Total fluff.

The last fight against the Kempe (a guy who had never had a pro fight) pretty much turned that game around, I don't blame AV, not a smart move by Smith. Smith is hardly a tough guy who's going to scare anyone, certainly not a fighter who fights all that often and wins are pretty rare. Imo he wasn't banished to the AHL for stepping up for his teammates, he was sent down because his play was hot garbage on top of him showing up out of shape - that's inexcusable at any pro level. He got paid and he took his foot off the gas, that tells a lot about a player. He's not the first and he's not gonna be the last but there's no excuse for it. He was a big part of the problem last year playing himself into the minors. Who knows if he can turn it around but I would hope he's on a short leash and gets thrown back to Hartford if he continues to be a fraud.

Guy has conditioning issues. Guy makes strides to improve conditioning. Fluff. Don't see it.

Calculated to make public? Absolutely. But it'd have to be a lie to be fluff in this instance.

The main issue people had with Smith was his shape. He's changing that. Let's take another look.

Archived