• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for getting rid of him, but they can't trade him for at least a 3rd round pick?

No.

Detroit was shocked when they got more than a 3rd rd pick at the deadline. We gave him a big contract - that's not going to make him easier to trade.

Wow, what a waste!!! .....and I'll bet it's going to come out that he blew a shit fit last night. The guy's been terrible, I agree. He just doesn't fit this team's mold here right now.

Best of luck someplace else, man...just feel bad we got nothing even in return for this guy. Another guy who's going to go somewhere else and probably win the fucking Norris trophy or some shit under a different coach. Ok, maybe that's going a little too far but this guy is far and away a serviceable player.

Again, what a waste!

With Redden, there were indications that he was in decline before he was signed. With Smith, he appeared to be on an upswing, although his longer term issues with Detroit should have been a warning. If it gets to the point of a buy out, I think he would be tradeable with half the contract retained, which is better than buying it out. One thing is clear, Smith has no right to complain about this demotion, because if he had been anything less than a disaster, he would have been traded for a 7th Round pick or would have been picked up on waivers. This comes as a relief. At least something is being done. One interesting note is to look back at the case of Andrew MacDonald. Philly signed him to a contract similar to Smith's after a deadline deal with the Islanders. He was so bad that he ended up waived and sent to the minors. He came back, however, and is still with the team three years later.

...and won't be picked up.

Excited to see what Pionk can do. It's disparaging to hear about any attitude problems. Oh well. Maybe he'll mop the locker room floors or something.

I'm not too sure he doesn't get picked up. That contract isn't as monstrous as people are suggesting. I could see Winnipeg, Buffalo, Vegas or a variety of teams with cap space picking him up.

But didn't he get a NMC? Can teams even pick him up? I guess that's why you are suggesting he doesn't get picked up?

With Redden, there were indications that he was in decline before he was signed. With Smith, he appeared to be on an upswing, although his longer term issues with Detroit should have been a warning. If it gets to the point of a buy out, I think he would be tradeable with half the contract retained, which is better than buying it out. One thing is clear, Smith has no right to complain about this demotion, because if he had been anything less than a disaster, he would have been traded for a 7th Round pick or would have been picked up on waivers. This comes as a relief. At least something is being done. One interesting note is to look back at the case of Andrew MacDonald. Philly signed him to a contract similar to Smith's after a deadline deal with the Islanders. He was so bad that he ended up waived and sent to the minors. He came back, however, and is still with the team three years later.

Awhile back, I made a claim regarding his personal life... the quick change of scenery and new found hope to play hockey got him out of the funk, but it didnt last.

Time couple of years. Hopefully he can get it together

I'm not too sure he doesn't get picked up. That contract isn't as monstrous as people are suggesting. I could see Winnipeg, Buffalo, Vegas or a variety of teams with cap space picking him up.

But didn't he get a NMC? Can teams even pick him up? I guess that's why you are suggesting he doesn't get picked up?

Yeah, I wonder if they had a trade in place, he said no, so they said screw it and waived him.

If so, do claiming teams still need his approval?

I copied this for you Josh:

The Difference Between No-Trade And No-Movement Clauses And The NHL Players That Have Them

No-Movement Clause (NMC) and No-Trade Clause (NTC) Eligibility:

Once a National Hockey League player has played seven years or reached twenty-seven years of age (Group 3 Free Agent Status) he is eligible to qualify for the NMC or NTC in his contract. These clauses can start mid-contract once the player reaches his Group 3 status. (example: in the fourth year of a seven-year deal)

There are basically two types of movement clauses NHL GMs need to pay attention to and/or work around with some players.

The No-Movement Clause:

A No-Movement Clause prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player’s consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless the player approves one of these moves. The player has the final say. Some players will often have a limited trade list here as well. A No-Movement Clause does not restrict a team from buying out or terminating a player’s contract.

The No-Trade Clause:

A No-Trade Clause is much less restrictive. It only places restrictions on movement by trade. A player with a No-Trade Clause cannot be traded by a team unless the player provides consent. A limited (partial or modified) No-Trade Clause is often less restrictive than a full No-Trade Clause and depends on the conditions negotiated in the player’s contracts. Often with these No-Trade Clauses, the player is asked to provide a list of teams to which he would be willing to be traded or NOT traded to. This list can change or fluctuate from season to season.

and this:

What is a Limited, or Modified No-Trade Clause (M-NTC)?

A limited, or modified no-trade clause (M-NTC) is less restrictive than a full no-trade clause (NTC), and can be added to a player's contract in the years after they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 Accrued seasons or 27 years of age), and has the following properties:

The player's contract includes specific terms in respect to being traded without their consent where the player must:

In a specified timeframe or window:

Specify a pre-determined number of teams the player would be willing to be traded to, or:

Specify a pre-determined number of teams the player would not be willing to be traded to

Consent is not required to be placed on waivers

Consent is not required for assignment to the minors

Player is not exempt from a buyout or contract termination

The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers

This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)

If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause

Example: Modified No-Trade Clause: Within 48 hours of request, the player must submit a list of 18 teams they are willing to be traded to without consent. If the list is not received within 48 hours, the player can be traded to any team without consent.

Smith placed on waivers by Rangers

Defenseman has eight points in 44 games after signing four-year, $17.4 million contract with New York

cut.jpg

"Everybody that's followed him since he's been here, there's no doubt that he has played better for us in the past and this year got off to a slow start," coach Alain Vigneault said. "We worked with him a number of different ways.

"At the end of the day this might be a little bit drastic here, but management and the coaches felt that this was the way to go for our team right now."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-places-brendan-smith-on-waivers/c-295741638

Money says there's more to this than meets the eye, notwithstanding the coach's comments.

Money says there's more to this than meets the eye, notwithstanding the coach's comments.

There is an inclination to let our imagination create a rationale. Reading AV's statement and note from mgmt, maybe this is simply part of a rebuild/retool/whateverthefuckyawannacallit.

The clue is in the first word, "Money"

My money says this is about the money (and rebuild). Now if a team wants to pick up the contract, put in a claim. The Rangers will use that money (3 years worth) to bring back Grabs instead. Or whatever their plan is for the cap space.

If he is not claimed he goes to the Pack and tries to improve. He/everybody gets the message. Either way it frees up a slot for a youngster to get some burn and mgmt to evaluate guys who should be near ready.

Smith placed on waivers by Rangers

Defenseman has eight points in 44 games after signing four-year, $17.4 million contract with New York

cut.jpg

"Everybody that's followed him since he's been here, there's no doubt that he has played better for us in the past and this year got off to a slow start," coach Alain Vigneault said. "We worked with him a number of different ways.

"At the end of the day this might be a little bit drastic here, but management and the coaches felt that this was the way to go for our team right now."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-places-brendan-smith-on-waivers/c-295741638

Ugghh. I agree with you.

I don't feel good.

There is an inclination to let our imagination create a rationale. Reading AV's statement and note from mgmt, maybe this is simply part of a rebuild/retool/whateverthefuckyawannacallit.

The clue is in the first word, "Money"

My money says this is about the money (and rebuild). Now if a team wants to pick up the contract, put in a claim. The Rangers will use that money (3 years worth) to bring back Grabs instead. Or whatever their plan is for the cap space.

If he is not claimed he goes to the Pack and tries to improve. He/everybody gets the message. Either way it frees up a slot for a youngster to get some burn and mgmt to evaluate guys who should be near ready.

OK. Time will tell.

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account

@FriedgeHNIC

Follow Follow @FriedgeHNIC

More

Smith, Kruger and Jooris all clear

9:01 AM - 9 Feb 2018

He's officially cleared. I guess we'll see if he gets sent down or not?

Maybe teams aren't willing to take him straight up but would take him for a contract they can dump and/or retaining some of his salary?

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account

@FriedgeHNIC

Follow Follow @FriedgeHNIC

More

Smith, Kruger and Jooris all clear

9:01 AM - 9 Feb 2018

He's officially cleared. I guess we'll see if he gets sent down or not?

Maybe teams aren't willing to take him straight up but would take him for a contract they can dump and/or retaining some of his salary?

Really no surprise on this and yes is he staying up or going down. Sending him down would be a kick in the balls

we'll need to call him back up to get to the cap floor when we're done tearing down this barn!

I think I'll be okay with this. I'm not sure I'm ready to write him totally off yet. Maybe this is the wake-up call that he desperately needs?

I think I'll be okay with this. I'm not sure I'm ready to write him totally off yet. Maybe this is the wake-up call that he desperately needs?

I was really happy with the contract when we re-signed him. He must've been too happy with the contract though cuz it seems like he said 'Fuck it I'm paid'

liked watching him fight Shaw last playoffs and thought he was a solid addition at the time. But he's regressed. Hopefully just a down year.

Archived