• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AV! His Seat Getting Hot?

skunkman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last nights game was the first time all year, where I felt like it’s not going to get turned around. It seems like AV has completely lost the team and his time here has run its course. It feels like a divorce is imminent and if that’s right, I wish it would happen sooner then later. I know most fans are thinking big picture and hoping for total tear down and rebuild. I personally would like to see us make a coaching change today and see if we can’t spark something. One last ditch effort to save something before a fire sale.

Last nights game was the first time all year, where I felt like it’s not going to get turned around. It seems like AV has completely lost the team and his time here has run its course. It feels like a divorce is imminent and if that’s right, I wish it would happen sooner then later. I know most fans are thinking big picture and hoping for total tear down and rebuild. I personally would like to see us make a coaching change today and see if we can’t spark something. One last ditch effort to save something before a fire sale.

I would have liked to see a small trade earlier in the season when they struggled, and make a coaching move a few weeks ago, if things didnt improve.

Unfortunately, it's to the point in the season where you have to finish off the season with what you got.

Changing the coaching staff now just creates more uncertainty, confusion and unrest for the young players on the team.

For the guys that are advocates of AV, what is it about this coach that you guys like? I never asked and I'm actually curious.

I rip him to pieces, and have for years, but I want to try to get a grasp on what it is that some people see in him that's good for this team. Maybe I'm missing something.

For the guys that are advocates of AV, what is it about this coach that you guys like? I never asked and I'm actually curious.

I rip him to pieces, and have for years, but I want to try to get a grasp on what it is that some people see in him that's good for this team. Maybe I'm missing something.

I like his system.. when the guys actually play it.

Its fast, up-tempo, generate scoring opportunities, counter-punching system

We've been one of the top scoring teams in the league.

The last thing I want to see is the "hockey" Renney brought, or what Torts "5 in the box" defense-only systems.

I like his system.. when the guys actually play it.

Its fast, up-tempo, generate scoring opportunities, counter-punching system

We've been one of the top scoring teams in the league.

The last thing I want to see is the "hockey" Renney brought, or what Torts "5 in the box" defense-only systems.

I get where you're coming from Josh, but I think what they're playing is pond hockey out there. There is very little puck support and as his record will demonstrate it's not a system that is viable in a playoff series. I know they're not supposedly playing the correct way right now, but their shot totals haven't really been very impressive, considering they're supposed to be a fast break, up tempo offense.

Aside from his "system" though, what do you see in terms of:

Matching lines/getting the most out of our last change at home

Adjustments to opponent strategies mid game

Playing "outside the rules"/retaliation/standing up for teammates

Consistently poor starts to games/Preparation

Player management (benchings/playing kids & favorites)

These are the things I criticize him for....(actually I kill him for). But sometimes I think I'm missing something because he got here, and they're paying him a ton.

I get where you're coming from Josh, but I think what they're playing is pond hockey out there. There is very little puck support and as his record will demonstrate it's not a system that is viable in a playoff series. I know they're not supposedly playing the correct way right now, but their shot totals haven't really been very impressive, considering they're supposed to be a fast break, up tempo offense.

These are the things I criticize him for....(actually I kill him for). But sometimes I think I'm missing something because he got here, and they're paying him a ton.

I don't know that I agree with any of these things directly relate to coaching and losing.

The system is designed to have a ton of puck support. The whole point is to give puck carriers, at least in the d-zone, a quick outlet by overflowing the puck side. This is why we used to see Stepan take a short pass on the right boards and spring Kreider streaking up the left.

He matches lines all the time - see Hayes, Kevin.

He doesn't adjust more or less than 90% of the coaches in the league. They aren't just going to start playing dump and chase hockey.

The retaliation thing is a personal preference, not really an indictment of the coach.

Poor starts are on the players, not the coach. I know some disagree, but they are professional athletes and AV delegates that to the leadership group.

He's been more than fair in limiting ice time to young players, and been consistent. The whole Buch thing is blown way out of proportion.

The indictment of AV should be that he doesn't get more out of his team than the talent allows for, which puts him on par with almost every coach in the league, perhaps he's more talent dependent than others. For that reason alone, I'd move away from him this offseason, but the rest is just a bunch of minutiae that could be blamed on coaching, players, or a mix of both.

Puck support? Did I miss something?

Anyone see the article in the post? Av called hank as the reason for the slide. Are you Fucking kidding me?

I just read that article and now I can truly say I want this guy out! Hank is the reason this team is not dead last in the league. He is constantly barraged with high quality shots that the skaters give up. AV should them the heavens that he has Hank on this team or he would have been fired years ago. AV is deflecting blame right now.

I don't know that I agree with any of these things directly relate to coaching and losing.

The system is designed to have a ton of puck support. The whole point is to give puck carriers, at least in the d-zone, a quick outlet by overflowing the puck side. This is why we used to see Stepan take a short pass on the right boards and spring Kreider streaking up the left.

He matches lines all the time - see Hayes, Kevin.

He doesn't adjust more or less than 90% of the coaches in the league. They aren't just going to start playing dump and chase hockey.

The retaliation thing is a personal preference, not really an indictment of the coach.

Poor starts are on the players, not the coach. I know some disagree, but they are professional athletes and AV delegates that to the leadership group.

He's been more than fair in limiting ice time to young players, and been consistent. The whole Buch thing is blown way out of proportion.

The indictment of AV should be that he doesn't get more out of his team than the talent allows for, which puts him on par with almost every coach in the league, perhaps he's more talent dependent than others. For that reason alone, I'd move away from him this offseason, but the rest is just a bunch of minutiae that could be blamed on coaching, players, or a mix of both.

We're going to respectfully disagree on a few of these, Future. We simply just see it differently, that's all.

Most of those complaints are when guys aren't playing the system, though.

That happens in every system, and most of those issues were much worse under Renney and Tortorelal.

I mean how can that guy really put the blame on hank? He’s the only reason we are not sitting here talking about Dahlin. The fact that that comes out of his mouth is enough to fire him. He really hasn’t seen the gong show of turnovers, high danger chances, odd man rushes, just pathetic zone converse? Or is it just his system that relies on the goalie to be superhuman to have a chance? The media largely gives this guy a pass and it shouldn’t. Being a nice guy means nothing. With that said passing blame and passing it to the guy who has single handedly gave you all your success is pathetic and shows what kind of guy he is.

I mean how can that guy really put the blame on hank? He?s the only reason we are not sitting here talking about Dahlin. The fact that that comes out of his mouth is enough to fire him. He really hasn?t seen the gong show of turnovers, high danger chances, odd man rushes, just pathetic zone converse? Or is it just his system that relies on the goalie to be superhuman to have a chance? The media largely gives this guy a pass and it shouldn?t. Being a nice guy means nothing. With that said passing blame and passing it to the guy who has single handedly gave you all your success is pathetic and shows what kind of guy he is.

Between that and saying that this team is playing better than their record indicates, it?s enough to make one think he?s in full denial or straight up looney tunes.

Get this mf out of here.

Even if you argue that what he said wasn't as bad as it's been made out to be—and that's a viable argument—you simply have to question the timing of it. The Rangers just made a public declaration of a rebuild and Gorton wouldn't give AV a vote of confidence when asked to. Now is the time you choose to criticize your franchise goaltender? Seriously?

Archived