• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Brendan Smith Situation

The Dude

THat hit behind the net is the one I was referring to. Either shoulder or concussion. Mcd was hunched over after the hit in a scene we have seen far to often. I was totally expecting for him to go the locker room but he didn't miss a shift.

I'm pretty certain the injury being reported right now is bullshit. It's also to bad that msg would never go back and show you the hit because msg is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the franchise with hack commentators and analysts.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THat hit behind the net is the one I was referring to. Either shoulder or concussion. Mcd was hunched over after the hit in a scene we have seen far to often. I was totally expecting for him to go the locker room but he didn't miss a shift.

I'm pretty certain the injury being reported right now is bullshit. It's also to bad that msg would never go back and show you the hit because msg is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the franchise with hack commentators and analysts.

Truth be told.

????

Have you SEEN others teams coverage? MSG puts on a very high quality broadcast. I'm pretty certain that they will show the hit in the next pre game.

How's he been awful? I think he's skating pretty well with the puck and makes better decisions with the puck than any of the D men not named Skjei.

I thought he looked pretty decent as well. he was in position all night and didn't get caught or miss his man in front for the majority of his shifts. I'll watch again closer tonight to see if anything catches my eye....but overall the game against the Senators, I thought was pretty solid.

He took the body and moved the puck fairly well. Just my take.

????

Have you SEEN others teams coverage? MSG puts on a very high quality broadcast. I'm pretty certain that they will show the hit in the next pre game.

The broadcast part is excellent. The rest of the nonsense that is portrayed is a waste of time. The so-called experts that ramble on with useless info before the game, during the game, between the periods and after the game is a complete crock, immho. Nothing but hype.

The broadcast part is excellent. The rest of the nonsense that is portrayed is a waste of time. The so-called experts that ramble on with useless info before the game, during the game, between the periods and after the game is a complete crock, immho. Nothing but hype.

Well I can't disagree that Trautwig is just annoying to listen/watch and I still don't get what the MSG 150 is in competition with for the fastest 150 seconds in the NHL..... but that's the only two things I don't like about this teams coverage.

These guys aren't complete homers and don't overly pat players on the back. I think for commentators they are pretty informative. VaIiquette is a guy that gets really into the job and doesn't pull punches or make excuses for players.

If you watch any other broadcast, the guys are insane homers.

Watched Smith all game yesterday;

Here's my take:

The good-

Looks better on 1 on 1 play

Takes the man very well and finished most of his checks very well

Was definitely a physical presence on the ice.

Didn't give up on his man in the defensive zone, like he did earlier in the season

Took more shots from the point....(see below)

The bad:

A couple of bad passes that Hank made huge saves on

3 turnovers that gave up at least 2 A+ chances and one close call that went wide in the second period

Slow to the bench on line changes

Stays on too long and got caught at the end of a shift 3 times in the first....Not much after that

His shot is much to be desired (can't hit net with a handful of peas!)

Passing is suspect at best...more his timing of it; He seems to throw passes to guys when they're about to be checked or simply "bad timing".

Not much in the way of Ugly, but overall he seems to be playing steadier than before. I just think he over-extends his shifts....or at least it looks like he can't get off the ice when he needs to. I liked his physical play a lot and we're going to need it, in my opinion. It is contagious it seems, because as soon as the hitting picked up, the Ranger's play picked up.

The team plays a lot better when they play with emotion. This guy can supply that, in my mind...the passing and shooting crap is all fix-able to me. The rest of the aggression and physical play, I don't think you can't teach!

Upon further review IMHO Smith has been the third best defenseman on the ice since McD injury

Skjei Shattenkirk Smith Kampfer Staal, Holden

That looks about right. As far as salary goes, I think that's kinda what we expect from him; he's basically a 2nd pair defenseman with some pop. I LOVED that hit he put on that Vancouver player in the 3rd when he came across the line...he just decked him!! God, I love that shit!!!

That looks about right. As far as salary goes, I think that's kinda what we expect from him; he's basically a 2nd pair defenseman with some pop. I LOVED that hit he put on that Vancouver player in the 3rd when he came across the line...he just decked him!! God, I love that shit!!!

Me too, but I hated how badly he wiffed on that shot that I think lead to a rush back the other way.

I think his passing has been smart and his ability to sneak in on offense and seamlessly switch back to his place on D is seriously underrated. He's still a little rusty, but I think he's rounding out into the guy we saw last season.

Me too, but I hated how badly he wiffed on that shot that I think lead to a rush back the other way.

I think his passing has been smart and his ability to sneak in on offense and seamlessly switch back to his place on D is seriously underrated. He's still a little rusty, but I think he's rounding out into the guy we saw last season.

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I was a fairly big advocate of the Rangers getting him. I like his "old school" play. To me, it's more "playoff-like" performances. The season is so damn long that I suppose playing THAT physical for THAT long takes a toll on a guy. But some games he seems to "bring it", and others are just eh.

....and then we have games like last night.

That was a stinker!

Well, he can't be paired with someone as incompetent as Holden. Holden literally can't do anything well. When he jumps in the play he misses the net by a mile and sends the puck down the other end. When he's defending he can't fill a lane or make a smart play with the puck. Yeah, Smith wasn't good last night, but ultimately Holden is the one who couldn't clear the puck on two separate occasions -- thus resulting in two goals against. The two just simply cannot be paired together.

Also, why is Holden on the ice in the final minute of a game? Didn't we already learn that lesson?

Well, he can't be paired with someone as incompetent as Holden. Holden literally can't do anything well. When he jumps in the play he misses the net by a mile and sends the puck down the other end. When he's defending he can't fill a lane or make a smart play with the puck. Yeah, Smith wasn't good last night, but ultimately Holden is the one who couldn't clear the puck on two separate occasions -- thus resulting in two goals against. The two just simply cannot be paired together.

Also, why is Holden on the ice in the final minute of a game? Didn't we already learn that lesson?

Great question!

• 1 month later...

IDK, Smith was looking like our defensive savior last season. He brought energy and physicality to a team sincerely lacking those characteristics. This season? Where the heck did he go? My son pointed out that he's still one of the only D-men to hit anyone with regularity, but that Smith might get "tired" from all that work and his game appears to trail-off in the third period.

Fatigue? Really? I guess it is possible. Despite being known as a fast team, I still question our team's conditioning. We do not seem to be able to play a fast game for 60 minutes.

Archived