• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Brendan Smith Situation

The Dude

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the refs got the call right.

They're skating in hard, neither player is close to the puck nor had Borowiecki played it. Borowiecki does see Smith, but to me he's bracing for the contact, not delivering it. Given the speed they're skating at and that Borowiecki is on the boards side of the play, Smith has to hold up there. He initiates the contact, leaving his lane and exploding into a player who's going to be moving fast towards the boards and defensless. If the pucks there, it's a hockey play. With the puck not there, it's interference. And given the other variables, it's a 5 minute major and game.

I don't think it warrants supplemental discipline because there's no intent, just a real bad judgement of the situation.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the refs got the call right.

They're skating in hard, neither player is close to the puck nor had Borowiecki played it. Borowiecki does see Smith, but to me he's bracing for the contact, not delivering it. Given the speed they're skating at and that Borowiecki is on the boards side of the play, Smith has to hold up there. He initiates the contact, leaving his lane and exploding into a player who's going to be moving fast towards the boards and defensless. If the pucks there, it's a hockey play. With the puck not there, it's interference. And given the other variables, it's a 5 minute major and game.

I don't think it warrants supplemental discipline because there's no intent, just a real bad judgement of the situation.

100 % accurate. You can't hit a player from that distance to the boards either. Not intentionally dirty though.

Joe Micheletti was saying that it shouldn't have been a penalty at all, which is simply not credible and makes me lose respect for his opinions. He kept on saying that the players were looking at each other. So what. As a practical matter, some jostling is permitted under those circumstances but not a full out check, which is what Smith did. Five minutes for interference is unusual. Is that saying that if the puck had been five feet from the boards and Smith had laid that hit on him when they reached the puck and the player then slid into the boards there would have been no penalty? I guess so, even though that hit would have been no less dangerous. My point is, if you have two hits of equal danger, with the player knowing he's about to be hit, I don't see how one can be a five, while the other is a two or nothing, simply because the former constituted interference.

Joe Micheletti was saying that it shouldn't have been a penalty at all, which is simply not credible and makes me lose respect for his opinions. He kept on saying that the players were looking at each other. So what. As a practical matter, some jostling is permitted under those circumstances but not a full out check, which is what Smith did. Five minutes for interference is unusual. Is that saying that if the puck had been five feet from the boards and Smith had laid that hit on him when they reached the puck and the player then slid into the boards there would have been no penalty? I guess so, even though that hit would have been no less dangerous. My point is, if you have two hits of equal danger, with the player knowing he's about to be hit, I don't see how one can be a five, while the other is a two or nothing, simply because the former constituted interference.

Joe can get overly emotional when the calls can be game changers (major penalties, dis/allowed goals, etc).

I grew up with this being a good, necessary play. Make contact, get in position to get in and get the puck, quickly, establish yourself, etc.

That was taken out of the game years ago. Now, they might let you get in a little bump, but ONLY when its clear that both players are engaging oneanother. If one "wins" the physical battle, its usually a call. And, with most plays nowdays, any injury will also result in a penalty, or additional time.

I'm ok with the play.

I think the 5 + game was a bit excessive. But, so was Smith's force. He'd get away with a bump, but he leveled the guy at a bad spot on the ice. If he gets 2 min for that, no big deal. Ill take it.

Not sure if anyone noticed this too but the prior shift borowiecki took a run on mcd and mcd looked like he was hurt. It was a high heavy hit that should have drawn a call. Surely smith and everyone knows that guys reputation for being a little belligerent physically. Maybe he was a little excessive in his contact but it could have been him protecting himself or even a dose of payback for him running his teammate. Probably not but just a thought

Oh, yea. Sorry, meant to bold, but I was referring to "You can't hit a player from that distance to the boards either."

A hit from 4-6 feet from the boards is boarding and is dangerous. Some rinks have put a warning track around the ice already. Probably won't see it in the NHL until someone gets seriously injured.

It looked scary for sure, but I just see it as just 2 guys going for the puck and they both initiated contact. I agree about the 4-6 feet from the boards is a tough spot to do that type of thing, but that's where the puck was. Either way, it's nice not to be on the receiving end of that shit for a change!

Even tho' this is a Brendan Smith thread, here is the bonafide info pertaining to the NYR Captain. Bonafide as reported by the news media. Hopefully it is accurate and he is not " out of shape".

Ryan McDonagh out for Rangers vs. Hurricanes

GREENBURGH, N.Y. ? Rangers captain Ryan McDonagh has an abdominal strain and the defenseman will not play against the Hurricanes in Carolina on Wednesday night.

The defenseman, who will miss his first game this season, did not practice Tuesday.

His most recent partner on the blueline, Nick Holden, skated with Brendan Smith.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ryan-mcdonagh-injury-1.15085436

Yup. They, much like the fans, know what they are told; which most probably isn't everything.

Radio color man. Nothing more. Who knows if he was embellishing his time at the " practice rink " or what actually he was told. It's his version. After all, Dave Maloney was once a NYR, a Capt. and is a loyalist like all the employees. Not knowing drek about the situation, other than the fact that Smith isn't playing, it appears as if the NYR are being deliberately silent. Almost as if they are protecting his privacy.

Yup. DON Maloney it was. Age didn't mess with memory on this end. So Smith told DAVE, not DON Maloney that he, Smith was out of shape, and DAVE related it on the radio for all the world to hear. Dave must've been hallucinating from one too many suds.

Yup. They, much like the fans, know what they are told; which most probably isn't everything.

Radio color man. Nothing more. Who knows if he was embellishing his time at the " practice rink " or what actually he was told. It's his version. After all, Dave Maloney was once a NYR, a Capt. and is a loyalist like all the employees. Not knowing drek about the situation, other than the fact that Smith isn't playing, it appears as if the NYR are being deliberately silent. Almost as if they are protecting his privacy.

Pretty contradictory...

Even tho' this is a Brendan Smith thread, here is the bonafide info pertaining to the NYR Captain. Bonafide as reported by the news media. Hopefully it is accurate and he is not " out of shape".

Ryan McDonagh out for Rangers vs. Hurricanes

GREENBURGH, N.Y. ? Rangers captain Ryan McDonagh has an abdominal strain and the defenseman will not play against the Hurricanes in Carolina on Wednesday night.

The defenseman, who will miss his first game this season, did not practice Tuesday.

His most recent partner on the blueline, Nick Holden, skated with Brendan Smith.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ryan-mcdonagh-injury-1.15085436

Ryan McDonagh out tomorrow with an abdominal strain, funny how they report that but they wouldn’t report a Brendan Smith injury. Oh that’s right, he never had one to begin with.

I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist, but ... there was a play against Ottawa where MacD got crunched into the boards sideways behind the goal line. It was a clean hard check and at that moment I thought there goes his shoulder. MacD looked a little hurt but obviously continued to play. So I wonder if it's really an abdominal strain or if they're hiding a shoulder injury that's had a long history of issues.

Archived