• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Brendan Smith Situation

The Dude

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over this six game great stretch of hockey Holden and especially Kampfer have been up there with the best of the NYR backliners. I'd rank them Skjei, Shattenkirk Kampfer, Staal, Holden, McDonough,

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Over this six game great stretch of hockey Holden and especially Kampfer have been up there with the best of the NYR backliners. I'd rank them Skjei, Shattenkirk Kampfer, Staal, Holden, McDonough,

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Ouch

How long does it take to get back in shape? I seriously doubt the guy sat around eating Taco Bell and drinking beers every day. I get that others are playing well and it’s tough to slot him in.

So, how long?

It could take a month to get your game legs back. Remember, the majority of the league is skating and training all off season. Training camp isn't to get you back in shape. You better show up to training camp IN shape already. A coach will do some conditioning, but most of it is to test you to see if you working out all off season, or eating oreos for 5 months.

How long does it take to get back in shape? I seriously doubt the guy sat around eating Taco Bell and drinking beers every day. I get that others are playing well and it?s tough to slot him in.

So, how long?

I bet he gets back in soon. Sometime this week, whether they lose or not.

If he was injured, wouldn’t it be better for the organization to say that to save face from giving him that contract and having him sit? Nah, not a chance in hell.

If it's not just his conditioning, I would lean to a medical health issue before an injury. It just doesn't make sense to hide an injury of Brendan Smith in October.

If it's not just his conditioning, I would lean to a medical health issue before an injury. It just doesn't make sense to hide an injury of Brendan Smith in October.

It was definitely conditioning. This specious speculation of a hidden injury is ridiculous. Most here know not to start unfounded rumors based on nothing.

One last time, for the benefit of those who missed it the first few times. I heard Dave Maloney discuss the situation clearly and tactfully on radio and the pregame, myself. Not a rumor. He was not bashing him, more like informing the radio host what he had learned from spending time at the practice facilities, speaking to everyone, including Smith. He said, Smith admitted his struggles at the end of shifts and said he screwed up thinking all his weight training was sufficiently keeping him in shape. Essentially, he fooled himself into thinking he was in good "cardio" condition.

This isn't some nuanced detective story. Occam's Razor in effect. Smith showed he was out of condition. It was noticeable to everyone, at the end of shifts. Smith's fault. A few goals resulted from a player getting by him or by not getting back quick enough. AV felt justified to bench him. Since this is punishment, consequences for a professional omission, Smith sits until the team loses. Whether it was an innocent oversight or a lazy one, it should not happen. Therefore, until a loss, injury or another Dman shits the bed, Smith has to deal with it.

Exactly right. He has no one to blame but himself. Being an nhl player and cashing millions each year is a 12 month 365 day job. Being out of shape or better yet poorly conditioned compared to your peers is a player not doing his job. He can't complain this is a product of him not putting in the work in the offseason while his teammates who he battles for ice time did. Nothing for him to do now but get in shape and wait his turn. When that times comes he needs to force them to keep him there.

You can't understate here that this is not an issue the rangers want to deal with. They want him in the lineup. They just invested a lot of money believing in this player. The rangers have egg on their face here too. All of this was caused by smiths lack of professionalism.

It was definitely conditioning. This specious speculation of a hidden injury is ridiculous. Most here know not to start unfounded rumors based on nothing.

One last time, for the benefit of those who missed it the first few times. I heard Dave Maloney discuss the situation clearly and tactfully on radio and the pregame, myself. Not a rumor. He was not bashing him, more like informing the radio host what he had learned from spending time at the practice facilities, speaking to everyone, including Smith. He said, Smith admitted his struggles at the end of shifts and said he screwed up thinking all his weight training was sufficiently keeping him in shape. Essentially, he fooled himself into thinking he was in good "cardio" condition.

This isn't some nuanced detective story. Occam's Razor in effect. Smith showed he was out of condition. It was noticeable to everyone, at the end of shifts. Smith's fault. A few goals resulted from a player getting by him or by not getting back quick enough. AV felt justified to bench him. Since this is punishment, consequences for a professional omission, Smith sits until the team loses. Whether it was an innocent oversight or a lazy one, it should not happen. Therefore, until a loss, injury or another Dman shits the bed, Smith has to deal with it.

I wasn't second guessing it. I was trying to be nice and add a possible twist while ignoring others.

I wasn't second guessing it. I was trying to be nice and add a possible twist while ignoring others.

My apologies Mikey, I was not directing this at you. I realized you were also saying it would be silly to conspire to hide an injury to Smith in October, where he has missed 5 games now. Like you I was reiterating that his status is not due to injury, for those unwilling to accept the validity of Dave Maloney's reporting or my relaying of his reports. Why would he make the whole story up?

My apologies Mikey, I was not directing this at you. I realized you were also saying it would be silly to conspire to hide an injury to Smith in October, where he has missed 5 games now. Like you I was reiterating that his status is not due to injury, for those unwilling to accept the validity of Dave Maloney's reporting or my relaying of his reports. Why would he make the whole story up?

He wouldn't. That's why it's ignorant to challenge a respected analyst who has had his finger on the pulse of this team for umpteen years.

He wouldn't. That's why it's ignorant to challenge a respected analyst who has had his finger on the pulse of this team for umpteen years.

I mean, for all we know he has herpes and can't play lol

I agree with you in this case, but beat writers don't necessarily know everything.

Radio color man. Nothing more. Who knows if he was embellishing his time at the " practice rink " or what actually he was told. It's his version. After all, Dave Maloney was once a NYR, a Capt. and is a loyalist like all the employees. Not knowing drek about the situation, other than the fact that Smith isn't playing, it appears as if the NYR are being deliberately silent. Almost as if they are protecting his privacy.

Reporter. Whatever. Point is the same.

Mike, 2 years ago I posted on here the exact play by play on Zuc's injury after taking a puck off the head. Nothing was out in the media about his injury, and after it was revealed when the season was over it turned out I was 100% accurate. Agree? Ok, so if I knew exactly what happened to a Ranger before it came out publicly, why are we doubting Dave Maloney?

Mike, 2 years ago I posted on here the exact play by play on Zuc's injury after taking a puck off the head. Nothing was out in the media about his injury, and after it was revealed when the season was over it turned out I was 100% accurate. Agree? Ok, so if I knew exactly what happened to a Ranger before it came out publicly, why are we doubting Dave Maloney?

I'm not. I already said I agree with you in this case. I also don't doubt that a reporter/beat writer or whoever is telling the truth to the best of their knowledge, but I don't believe that they're told everything, unequivocally.

Archived