• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Brendan Smith Situation

The Dude

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we're going to need this guy. He's a pretty tough player, and should be playing much better than this. Hopefully this little break is a wake up call to get his shit together. But he has been pretty good for us in the past. The team is winning right now, and it looks like he's been an addition by subtraction, but if this team has any ideas of putting together a solid season, they will be needing Brendan Smith's physicality and defensive play down the road. Trading him would net pretty close to nothing as it stands, and when do you ever sell at a low?

He'll be better....he's a pretty good player, he just needs to get back in shape and get his head on straight.

....these kids today!!! ;)

Right. His physicality is something that we'll need at some point. He didn't enter the season where he needed to be. This is a good time for him to get it back.

Can you send a player that was uninjured down for a conditioning stint?

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning

Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen

(14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to

investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the

Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan

to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such

disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during

the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be

entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

I'm sure he would ok a conditioning stint if he's told that if he comes back in better shape he'll be re-inserted in the line-up.

He gets paid the same. Sitting or playing.

After signing a big contract, I don't anticipate him accepting a conditioning assignment.

How does anyone here know he's "out of condition"?

On post #12 of this thread you corrected me about Don Maloney, when I posted the information. Age can mess with memory. So as a friendly reminder, DAVE Maloney reported it on the Scott and Patrick show on Sirius XM radio and then repeated the conditioning story on the MSG pregame, sharing his discussion with Smith.

I actually kind of like that idea. Send him down for a few games until Kampfer/Holden needs to be replaced and give him another go.

Agreed. Get him minutes. But isn't it a cluttered mess in Hartford?

Also forget trading him. I'm pretty sure he got a NT/NM clause in his deal. Unless he'd be willing to waive it. Seeing as he just got married and moved here, I don't see that happening.

AVs defensive system requires mobile guys. Smith isn't, add poor conditioning, and he's not as effective as Kampfer and Holden. Hopefully he gets his shit together and can be effective for us moving forward.

We also need to be realistic, he played his best hockey when he came here last season - motivated by leaving Detroit and playing for a contract. Obviously, that's not his mindset.

Smith is beyond a mobile guy. He was paired with McD throughout college on the top pair and was the offensive Dman, while McD stayed at home. He too was a 1st rounder of Detroit. He was noted by scouts for his offense and skating. After looking great in his first year, Babcock decided to make him a defensive stopper and forced him into a stay-at-home role. He's still offered an all around game, bur struggled with consistency.

His NHL scouting report is pretty spot on.

Assets: Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.

Flaws: Lacks consistency. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.

Career Potential: Inconsistent, solid all-around defenseman.

It's a shame he wasn't in top condition, he should be in his prime and playing every night on the right McD or Skjei. Fills one big hole. He is also built for tight checking playoff games, brings the grit and sacrifices his body w/o hesitation. I assumed they are working him hard in practice. Hoping that would be a no-brainer, since he is missing games. AV needs to get him back into things soon. But he will almost certainly wait for a loss.

Agreed. Get him minutes. But isn't it a cluttered mess in Hartford?

Also forget trading him. I'm pretty sure he got a NT/NM clause in his deal. Unless he'd be willing to waive it. Seeing as he just got married and moved here, I don't see that happening.

I think a limited. However, I think as a UFA he must be with the team 6 months before eligible to be traded anyway. Meaning January.

Don't see him or Shatty getting traded this year, regardless.

On post #12 of this thread you corrected me about Don Maloney, when I posted the information. Age can mess with memory. So as a friendly reminder, DAVE Maloney reported it on the Scott and Patrick show on Sirius XM radio and then repeated the conditioning story on the MSG pregame, sharing his discussion with Smith.

Lol, well done

Smith is beyond a mobile guy. He was paired with McD throughout college on the top pair and was the offensive Dman, while McD stayed at home. He too was a 1st rounder of Detroit. He was noted by scouts for his offense and skating. After looking great in his first year, Babcock decided to make him a defensive stopper and forced him into a stay-at-home role. He's still offered an all around game, bur struggled with consistency.

His NHL scouting report is pretty spot on.

Assets: Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.

Flaws: Lacks consistency. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.

Career Potential: Inconsistent, solid all-around defenseman.

It's a shame he wasn't in top condition, he should be in his prime and playing every night on the right McD or Skjei. Fills one big hole. He is also built for tight checking playoff games, brings the grit and sacrifices his body w/o hesitation. I assumed they are working him hard in practice. Hoping that would be a no-brainer, since he is missing games. AV needs to get him back into things soon. But he will almost certainly wait for a loss.

lol, maybe during his draft year when he was labeled a A-level offensive defenseman. His lack of mobility and agility have been exposed in this system.

Smith made a number of plays last year where he showed he's a good skater. The reason he was re-signed was because AV likes him for the system...

"Real competitive, can skate well, make a good 1st pass." https://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/836782389917528064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fclearedforcontact.com%2Fsmiths-early-performance-justifying-playoff-role%2F

Am I the only one who is very put off on this guy being a constant healthy scratch?

4 million dollars, some grit and snarl, is sitting in favor the likes of Kamfer and Holden.

Is there an injury? Is there an issue with his efforts in practice? How does a guy like this go from top four D man, to a healthy scratch? This guy was probably the teams most consistent guy during the playoffs. He wanted to come back and the team was eager to get him signed.

What's going on here? Why the short leash?

AV's job was on the line. Therefore he can't allow a guy like Smith to "work through his struggles". He needed to win games, and did. Hopefully Smith gets back in because it's fucking insane to have him in the press box and Kampfer and Holden on the ice instead.

Smith made a number of plays last year where he showed he's a good skater. The reason he was re-signed was because AV likes him for the system...

"Real competitive, can skate well, make a good 1st pass." https://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/836782389917528064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fclearedforcontact.com%2Fsmiths-early-performance-justifying-playoff-role%2F

Links?

AV's job was on the line. Therefore he can't allow a guy like Smith to "work through his struggles". He needed to win games, and did. Hopefully Smith gets back in because it's fucking insane to have him in the press box and Kampfer and Holden on the ice instead.

Smith isnt in a spot where he can "work through his struggles". Its not a confidence, or a little rust from the summer. The guy put off hockey all summer, and hes getting older. Shit caught up with him. He, essentially, needs to re-start his summer training program. He's not even ready for pre-season, right now.

And regardless of what people read in scouting reports, or remember him "skating well" on 2 occasions last season, his lack of foot speed in the defensive zone has been a huge detriment. He cant keep up with forwards in a man-to-man system in his own zone.

The quote is linked...good try though.

to good plays last season?

You quoted a beat writer, quoting a line that was fed to him, from someone trying to trade him.

His feet have been cement for several seasons. I'm sure he looked like a good skater next to the rest of that defensive corps in detroit, though. lol

Smith isnt in a spot where he can "work through his struggles". Its not a confidence, or a little rust from the summer. The guy put off hockey all summer, and hes getting older. Shit caught up with him. He, essentially, needs to re-start his summer training program. He's not even ready for pre-season, right now.

And regardless of what people read in scouting reports, or remember him "skating well" on 2 occasions last season, his lack of foot speed in the defensive zone has been a huge detriment. He cant keep up with forwards in a man-to-man system in his own zone.

Are these facts or assumptions?

to good plays last season?

You quoted a beat writer, quoting a line that was fed to him, from someone trying to trade him.

His feet have been cement for several seasons. I'm sure he looked like a good skater next to the rest of that defensive corps in detroit, though. lol

What are you talking about? That was AV's response to a question from Zip. Here's some good skating plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUXmAPrG9U

When he looks slow it's because he's not engaged and is unsure of where to be. His footspeed is fine, especially for someone his size.

Archived