• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Calling ALL Posters

Vodka Drunkenski

Pete's a good friend to me, so I'll call it out here ... It's not the thought/feeling of how mods are treated differently than users, it's the thought/feeling that Pete (who is a mod) is treated differently. I'm the closest person here to everyone without being a mod, and I just proved that that's not actually the case. Whether or not you make me a mod or remove Pete from being a mod is irrelevant because perception is reality. What I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't have posted differently if I was a mod, and would have deserved every warning, infraction, and ban that I received. At the same time I'm sure Pete won't change the way he posts either, and even if he's removed as a mod everyone will still say "same shit, he was a mod all this time, same friends, same treatment".

As far as having to feel like a scholar to post in threads goes, I do understand how some can feel intimidated at times. There's a decent list of guys here that are very well educated in the game and can point things out that others don't see or don't know. I think people need to be more receptive to the more educated posters rather than combatant with them. There's no shame in asking questions either in the thread or pm. I've gotten plenty of pm's regarding the game from youth hockey on up to the NHL. Do I know everything that goes on at every level or behind the scenes? Of course not, but I do have knowledge and information about a lot of things. Me getting criticized or questioned after plenty of people know me well enough that I'm not trolling, guessing, or making things up does in fact bother me sometimes and makes me not want to share information, which imo is top notch and I think you along with others would agree. I can list at least 5 people on here that have equal, or even better info/insides and I respect and believe everything they share and post here.

I don't think its about being more receptive to those that are more educated, I think that the who are more educated need to be more receptive to some of the posters who aren't as educated. I feel like I am pretty educated on the game, but that said, the analytics stuff thats coming out, I know I am completely clueless on it, and as much as I would love to learn it, I don't have the time to sit there and read it and learn every aspect about it. I feel like in the hockey threads that when some of us who aren't up to date on that part start getting bombarded with that talk, it kind of pushes us out of the thread. IMO, there needs to be give and take on both sides. Im not saying I don't want to read what people say about the analytics, but, if someone doesn't respond using them, they should be excluded from a discussion, unless it is an analytics thread.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think its about being more receptive to those that are more educated, I think that the who are more educated need to be more receptive to some of the posters who aren't as educated. I feel like I am pretty educated on the game, but that said, the analytics stuff thats coming out, I know I am completely clueless on it, and as much as I would love to learn it, I don't have the time to sit there and read it and learn every aspect about it. I feel like in the hockey threads that when some of us who aren't up to date on that part start getting bombarded with that talk, it kind of pushes us out of the thread. IMO, there needs to be give and take on both sides. Im not saying I don't want to read what people say about the analytics, but, if someone doesn't respond using them, they should be excluded from a discussion, unless it is an analytics thread.

I believe you have it backwards. The analytics are designed to educate everyone. They're not designed to hide anything from anyone. I don't believe in them. That's my feeling. I don't hate Ray because he does believe in them, lets face it, there's other reasons than that to hate Ray.

That's precisely backwards. It's lowest common denominator as I mentioned before. The idea is to increase intelligence and increase understanding. If you're overwhelmed by an analytics thread or an aspect of a thread that uses them, work around them. No one is going to hammer you for your reluctance to appreciate corsi values.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I believe you have it backwards. The analytics are designed to educate everyone. They're not designed to hide anything from anyone. I don't believe in them. That's my feeling. I don't hate Ray because he does believe in them, lets face it, there's other reasons than that to hate Ray.

That's precisely backwards. It's lowest common denominator as I mentioned before. The idea is to increase intelligence and increase understanding. If you're overwhelmed by an analytics thread or an aspect of a thread that uses them, work around them. No one is going to hammer you for your reluctance to appreciate corsi values.

I'm not complaining about them or anyone using them, but I feel people that mention them and do know and understand them need to realize that not all of us do know and understand them. It's easy to say if you don't know them then avoid the thread, which I do, but they are also involved in most of the threads now. Again, I'm not complaining about anyone using them,but I know I have had people respond to my posts using analytics, so it's not as easy as saying just avoid those threads.

Well they're only going to be a bigger thing, so it's probably worth your time to at least learn the basics.

I would love to learn them, but time is something I have very little of. 2 kids and working nights gives me very little time. On my days off, I feel like I am more busy than when I am working.

I would love to learn them, but time is something I have very little of. 2 kids and working nights gives me very little time. On my days off, I feel like I am more busy than when I am working.

Not a big deal, really.

Here's something I'm going to toss around to the other mods but want to get some feed back on. As far as the issue with the Rangers portion of the forum sometimes being too intense to welcome more casual opinions, do you guys think having a sticky thread in the main forum similar to The Flying Puck in The Bar Room where people could kind of shoot the shit about the team in a much more casual way might help? So we'd still have the normal topic threads when they come up and those conversations would flow as they do, but we'd also have a more general thread that works more like the Game Day threads. You want to call Nash a bum? That's the thread for it. Want to mention how you think "AV should keep the Kreider - Zib - Buchnevich line together for a few months without tinkering" but don't feel like writing a paragraph on why? Put it in there.

You guys think that would help?

Pete's a good friend to me, so I'll call it out here ... It's not the thought/feeling of how mods are treated differently than users, it's the thought/feeling that Pete (who is a mod) is treated differently. I'm the closest person here to everyone without being a mod, and I just proved that that's not actually the case. Whether or not you make me a mod or remove Pete from being a mod is irrelevant because perception is reality. What I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't have posted differently if I was a mod, and would have deserved every warning, infraction, and ban that I received. At the same time I'm sure Pete won't change the way he posts either, and even if he's removed as a mod everyone will still say "same shit, he was a mod all this time, same friends, same treatment".

As far as having to feel like a scholar to post in threads goes, I do understand how some can feel intimidated at times. There's a decent list of guys here that are very well educated in the game and can point things out that others don't see or don't know. I think people need to be more receptive to the more educated posters rather than combatant with them. There's no shame in asking questions either in the thread or pm. I've gotten plenty of pm's regarding the game from youth hockey on up to the NHL. Do I know everything that goes on at every level or behind the scenes? Of course not, but I do have knowledge and information about a lot of things. Me getting criticized or questioned after plenty of people know me well enough that I'm not trolling, guessing, or making things up does in fact bother me sometimes and makes me not want to share information, which imo is top notch and I think you along with others would agree. I can list at least 5 people on here that have equal, or even better info/insides and I respect and believe everything they share and post here.

Not a big deal, really.

So this forum attracts all kinds - the serious fan, who may or may not dive into analytics, but who eats/breathes hockey. The more casual fan, who enjoys the Rangers, isn't as knowledgable, but likes to participate. I'd say these are the two main categories of BSBH users that the website is best for. I'm ignoring the fringe who just like to stir up trouble, they are a minority that don't last long.

I'd say when the 'serious, knowledgeable' are patient with the 'casual participant' than the forum is at the best. But sometimes the serious/knowledgeable get pissed off about what is going on in a GDT, or with a trade, etc. and than they are more likely to be snippy.

Pete went out of his way to be friendly with me (as did others) when I was newer, otherwise I never would have continued on this forum. But he can be intimidating as all hell if you're not used to his frequent posting, debating ferocity, and bulldog attitude. In multiple threads, I've told him that he can have the last word when we disagreed simply because he was going to have the last post in our discussion anyway. He is a critical part of the BSBH team (as admin/mod/frequent poster)... and I love Pete... but I understand why he turns some people off because he has pissed me off on occasion.

So I don't think a separate thread in the flying puck is going to solve noob/veteran conflict. I think it requires veterans to realize when they are being provoked, when they are just pissed off about the Rangers, and how to respond accordingly (or not respond at all). If you want the forum to continue to cater to casual and serious fans. Because if it only attracts the serious fan, you're only going to see the same 15-20 people posting in every thread.

So this forum attracts all kinds - the serious fan, who may or may not dive into analytics, but who eats/breathes hockey. The more casual fan, who enjoys the Rangers, isn't as knowledgable, but likes to participate. I'd say these are the two main categories of BSBH users that the website is best for. I'm ignoring the fringe who just like to stir up trouble, they are a minority that don't last long.

I'd say when the 'serious, knowledgeable' are patient with the 'casual participant' than the forum is at the best. But sometimes the serious/knowledgeable get pissed off about what is going on in a GDT, or with a trade, etc. and than they are more likely to be snippy.

Pete went out of his way to be friendly with me (as did others) when I was newer, otherwise I never would have continued on this forum. But he can be intimidating as all hell if you're not used to his frequent posting, debating ferocity, and bulldog attitude. In multiple threads, I've told him that he can have the last word when we disagreed simply because he was going to have the last post in our discussion anyway. He is a critical part of the BSBH team (as admin/mod/frequent poster)... and I love Pete... but I understand why he turns some people off because he has pissed me off on occasion.

So I don't think a separate thread in the flying puck is going to solve noob/veteran conflict. I think it requires veterans to realize when they are being provoked, when they are just pissed off about the Rangers, and how to respond accordingly (or not respond at all). If you want the forum to continue to cater to casual and serious fans. Because if it only attracts the serious fan, you're only going to see the same 15-20 people posting in every thread.

I agree with some of this, but my feeling is that a lot of people have to feel like an expert in every topic. I know absolute shit about analytics, and my feeling is that I don't need 300 stats to tell me how bad Dan Girardi is, so while I'll look at them when someone posts them in a thread I'm not going too far out of my way to learn the science of them. However, I do respect those that like them and use them, so I do expect them to respect me and my feelings towards them. I think that's fair. On another side, when different hockey topics pop up in gdt's, there is always a little controversy on how things should be done and who's right and wrong. When you have a guy like Puckhead breaking down a pp or pk, listen to him. He knows what he's talking about. But there will always be that 1 guy that fights to the death about putting this guy at the point, that guy on the wall, run it here, run it there, etc ... Then the war starts, because the guys here that play, played, coach, etc .. that can actually draw a drill on the glass and run a practice will defend him till the end when it's clear that the other poster has no idea what they're talking about. It's like they're embarrassed to learn and ask questions which imo leads to a lot of fighting here.

And if everyone wants to make this place jumpin again, more people need to participate in this thread. There's 1888 views, yet only 110 replies. Stop lurking and say what you feel needs to be said. You can't fix anything in life by just watching it go by. Speak up, air it out, call me a dick, I don't care. Lets fix it for everyone's sake, more so for Phil who not only has to moderate it, but has to pay for it.

I don't care who lurked through this thread. Speak up. We need to hear everyone's pov to help the situation.

Sorry I was typing on my broken phone and couldn't fix it. Anyway, I haven't been here long, and I've noticed that a large amount of discussion (at least in the Rangers forum) goes on between a core of users who've been here for a while. Becoming a hockey fan only a couple of years ago, I've tried to learn as much as possible watching games and listening to you guys on this forum. I picked up certain things watching and listening, but when HERO charts and Corsi stats are thrown around I agree with others here in that it is confusing or difficult to debate with someone if you've never seen or heard of them before. I don't begrudge anyone for using them though.

I've also posted in the Presidential Election thread and noticed the fierce debates between certain users. Passion in politics drives participation, and that's a good thing, but what I don't understand is how things can get so heated. Does that winner-take-all attitude have to bleed into a hockey forum for this team we're all fans of? That's why we're all here first and foremost right?

I might have more to say later on but I have to run now, that's just my two cents.

I've been a member here for maybe a couple of months and I'm relatively new to hockey - 5-6 years of Gamecenter and following the Rangers. (Im a Brit).

I come to this place to find out views, news etc. The whole analytic stuff confuse me a little.

I lurk more than post, as I don't think add much that wouldn't have been already said, usually more eloquently and well supported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I was typing on my broken phone and couldn't fix it. Anyway, I haven't been here long, and I've noticed that a large amount of discussion (at least in the Rangers forum) goes on between a core of users who've been here for a while. Becoming a hockey fan only a couple of years ago, I've tried to learn as much as possible watching games and listening to you guys on this forum. I picked up certain things watching and listening, but when HERO charts and Corsi stats are thrown around I agree with others here in that it is confusing or difficult to debate with someone if you've never seen or heard of them before. I don't begrudge anyone for using them though.

I've also posted in the Presidential Election thread and noticed the fierce debates between certain users. Passion in politics drives participation, and that's a good thing, but what I don't understand is how things can get so heated. Does that winner-take-all attitude have to bleed into a hockey forum for this team we're all fans of? That's why we're all here first and foremost right?

I might have more to say later on but I have to run now, that's just my two cents.

I've been a member here for maybe a couple of months and I'm relatively new to hockey - 5-6 years of Gamecenter and following the Rangers. (Im a Brit).

I come to this place to find out views, news etc. The whole analytic stuff confuse me a little.

I lurk more than post, as I don't think add much that wouldn't have been already said, usually more eloquently and well supported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joining the discussion is helpful to everyone, new, old, or otherwise. You might have questions that no one else wants to ask. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Like I said before, I know jack shit about analytics, but it won't stop me from participating in a thread where they're being used. If a thread is dedicated to analytics, I'll lurk in it as well, and then ask questions or give my feelings. You don't HAVE to participate in EVERY thread, but joining in here and there is helpful.

I agree with some of this, but my feeling is that a lot of people have to feel like an expert in every topic. I know absolute shit about analytics, and my feeling is that I don't need 300 stats to tell me how bad Dan Girardi is, so while I'll look at them when someone posts them in a thread I'm not going too far out of my way to learn the science of them. However, I do respect those that like them and use them, so I do expect them to respect me and my feelings towards them. I think that's fair. On another side, when different hockey topics pop up in gdt's, there is always a little controversy on how things should be done and who's right and wrong. When you have a guy like Puckhead breaking down a pp or pk, listen to him. He knows what he's talking about. But there will always be that 1 guy that fights to the death about putting this guy at the point, that guy on the wall, run it here, run it there, etc ... Then the war starts, because the guys here that play, played, coach, etc .. that can actually draw a drill on the glass and run a practice will defend him till the end when it's clear that the other poster has no idea what they're talking about. It's like they're embarrassed to learn and ask questions which imo leads to a lot of fighting here.

I hate to beat the dead horse on analytics, but with me, it's when you post something and someone else quotes and starts with the analystics and then harps on that. Like I said earlier, those that are into them, need to realize not all of us are or know it, and just need to be a little more calmer before jumping in with them. That's all I ask. I have no problems with anyone talking about them or using them, but for example, if I say player X has looked bad playing with Y and Z, there is always someone who say well this analytics says player X does play better, and then it just gets into bickering back and forth.

I hate to beat the dead horse on analytics, but with me, it's when you post something and someone else quotes and starts with the analystics and then harps on that. Like I said earlier, those that are into them, need to realize not all of us are or know it, and just need to be a little more calmer before jumping in with them. That's all I ask. I have no problems with anyone talking about them or using them, but for example, if I say player X has looked bad playing with Y and Z, there is always someone who say well this analytics says player X does play better, and then it just gets into bickering back and forth.

Understood, fair points.

Season starts this week, let's all get on the same page and make great things of this place again. This is my getaway through some roughy times and although I haven't met any of you, this place is like a family to me. Call it crazy and selfish but it is what it is. Now let's go people!

LGR

Fuck you

Archived