• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

Maybe it's posturing to make LaLiga relax their salary cap strictness so they can bring back their main selling point? There's just too few places for Messi to realistically go. I saw somewhere that City are out because they didn't plan Messi to be available, and went with Grealish instead. Plus Grealish got the #10.

I mean, Grealish is younger and has lots more in the tank plus room for growth. 100% Messi is better but it’s a stop gap to create large revenue quickly, which lets be honest they don’t really need aside from IF they were to win the UCL and the windfall that would generate.

I don’t mind a salary cap concept, albeit I’m not familiar with how La Liga work theirs. I would be all for it in England. It promotes playing youth which in turn improves the national team, and creates more parity (similar to NA sports with the draft and FA system). In a salary cap world Grealish is still at Villa which would be good for the league IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have DAZN, it’s pretty sweet catching some of the Rovers games with UK coverage

Going to be great for those workday afternoons to just have something nice on in the background. This Bournemouth/WBA game is a pretty good opener

These WBA kits are just knockoff Arsenal bruised bananas!

Going to be great for those workday afternoons to just have something nice on in the background. This Bournemouth/WBA game is a pretty good opener

These WBA kits are just knockoff Arsenal bruised bananas!

Yeah was a good game from what I saw, and thought the same re the kit lmao.

Man City: Sign Grealish

Man United: Sign Sancho and Varane (pending)

Chelsea: Sign Lukaku

Liverpool: Sign Konate

Spurs: Sign Gil and Romero

Leicester: Sign Daka and Soumare

Villa: Sign Buendia, Baily, Ings

Arsenal: Sign Ben White to reinforce a top defense, while the team couldn't score last year. Better pray for deadline day moves.

Man City: Sign Grealish

Man United: Sign Sancho and Varane (pending)

Chelsea: Sign Lukaku

Liverpool: Sign Konate

Spurs: Sign Gil and Romero

Leicester: Sign Daka and Soumare

Villa: Sign Buendia, Baily, Ings

Arsenal: Sign Ben White to reinforce a top defense, while the team couldn't score last year. Better pray for deadline day moves.

Top defense is a stretch lol.

Never gonna change without new ownership. Owners won’t spend, they run the club like a business not a football club. Plus you aren’t in the Champions League (or either Europa I think?), so where would the money come from for $100m on Grealish or $76m for Sancho. Plus, those players don’t want to join Arsenal at this moment in time, and frankly you can’t blame them.

Excluding the top 4 teams on your list your signings are on par with the rest. Arsenal need to build around Saka and Smith Rowe (I really like this kid). The last two attacking players you signed were Pepe and Willian I believe which says it all.

On a positive note, Rovers in a playoff spot as it stands!!! Lmao.

I mean, our 39 goals conceded was third to only Man City and Chelsea. The problem was that we couldn't score.

I think toward the end, with Saka and ESR and Odegaard and a somewhat renewed Xhaka, we began to work out the problem in that we've not been good on transitions for a long time. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction there.

I also think we're at a point where we need to accept that Aubameyang and Lacazette are moving toward the twilight of their careers. We're going to need a solution there sooner or later.

So glad we signed Auba to that 3-year extension...Ozil all over again.

The problem is finishing. From midfield, we had five goals last season? 2 from ESR, 1 from Xhaka, 1 from Odegaard, and 1 from El Neny. The way we play doesn't even facilitate offense. We have possession and keep possession. We flick it into the box where our "arial aces" (heavy sarcasm) try to connect with it. The tactics don't fit the players. We have a suprising amount of speed that I don't think people realize.

I try to trust Arteta more than most, but I'm losing faith. Preseason doesn't count, but it's telling just how bad we were yet again. And after Brentford we have some difficult matches right off the bat.

I mean, our 39 goals conceded was third to only Man City and Chelsea. The problem was that we couldn't score.

A fair point, I didn’t check their stats. I think where I’m coming from is although they don’t get well beaten, hence the low goals against, they don’t seem hard to score against. Hence why they lost a bunch of home games to teams they shouldn’t have. I don’t remember top teams struggling to score against them either, unlike a Van Dijk Liverpool or Dias City team. It’s like they settle for a modest loss to the bigger teams who cruise to a win.

Anyways, I agree the issue is creativity, seems to have been that way for a while now. IMO it’s players like Bama, Lacazette, Pepe etc. starting over the kids who don’t get a look in at times. I mean, look what Willock did at Newcastle given the opportunity. I’m not saying he’s a world beater or the answer, but they need to play the kids more not the overpaid mercenaries and foreigners they sign.

Saka, Rowe and Martinelli need to be heavily involved this season.

A fair point, I didn’t check their stats. I think where I’m coming from is although they don’t get well beaten, hence the low goals against, they don’t seem hard to score against. Hence why they lost a bunch of home games to teams they shouldn’t have. I don’t remember top teams struggling to score against them either, unlike a Van Dijk Liverpool or Dias City team. It’s like they settle for a modest loss to the bigger teams who cruise to a win.

Anyways, I agree the issue is creativity, seems to have been that way for a while now. IMO it’s players like Bama, Lacazette, Pepe etc. starting over the kids who don’t get a look in at times. I mean, look what Willock did at Newcastle given the opportunity. I’m not saying he’s a world beater or the answer, but they need to play the kids more not the overpaid mercenaries and foreigners they sign.

Saka, Rowe and Martinelli need to be heavily involved this season.

TBF Bama and Laca have been largely very good. Pepe has been routinely poor - or at least uninspiring. Partey has been living in a medical ward.

The point stands though. Saka is a world class player and he needs the chance to be the guy. ESR is a strong player who needs that shot too. I'd like to see them use the money they got for Willock toward getting Odegaard on a permanent as well. I know they've got eyes on Lautaro (and why not with Inter in fire-sale mode and him being so young), but there is a clear need to let the kids show what they can do.

For the record, I like the idea of solidifying the back four with White and a renewed Tierney - but I want that to result in more transition play and better ball possession.

I thought Pepe actually shined the final two months of the season, but his purchase was pure incompetance and shady tactics. Complete overpayment that's set us back. We do need to build around both Saka and ESR, and need to see what our young guys like Balogun can do. Auba and Laca have been good, but are not the level of player we need to still be a "Big 6" club.

I also think our tactics don't complement them, which has been my biggest issue with Arteta. He is so focused on playing his style of football, and not the style that is best suited to the players on his roster. Laca is great at linking up and holding the ball while the team moves forward. Auba is best when using his speed, but also getting the ball in dangerous areas. Our ball movement into the corners with Saka, Pepe, and Tierney do not suit to those styles, because it leaves Laca and Auba isolated in the center eaten up by opponents' CBs.

Gotta move the ball in the channels, use Auba's speed, and use Laca's link up to pass back for a quick ball over the top for Auba and Saka to go chase.

In fairness you guys watch your team more than me, I watch on occasion so trust your judgement here. Agree White was a decent signing in general though. Strange you mention about Pepe’s improvement at the end of the season as my buddy said the same the other day. I just hope whoever they sign it doesn’t reduce Smith-Rowe’s minutes too much. Bama and Laca have had their moments as you say, but they are trending down and it’s not like their best efforts won you much right.

Really don’t understand why he would want to go back there. Other than ??? of course.

It's a few things. Conte left Inter, and Lukaku loves Conte. Italy's Serie A finances are in shambles and Inter needs to offload some talent to bring in revenue. Lukaku could be attracted by the fact Chelsea don't have an out and out striker, and they just won Champions League. Under Tuchel, they're a threat to win the PL as well.

#SaintsFC have agreed a fee with Blackburn to sign Adam Armstrong. A breakthrough was made late last night & he looks set to replace Danny Ings.

Personal terms yet to be agreed, so it’s not a done deal at this stage.

Full story on

@TheAthleticUK

Sorry man. Gonna be tough without Armstrong. 15mil pounds not a terrible return.

It's a few things. Conte left Inter, and Lukaku loves Conte. Italy's Serie A finances are in shambles and Inter needs to offload some talent to bring in revenue. Lukaku could be attracted by the fact Chelsea don't have an out and out striker, and they just won Champions League. Under Tuchel, they're a threat to win the PL as well.

All good points but I guess I’m saying after how he was treated there could they not find him another suitor? But I agree Chelsea becomes legit, even more so.

Sorry man. Gonna be tough without Armstrong. 15mil pounds not a terrible return.

Tbh I’m ok with this. We aren’t getting promoted and need to stay in the championship. We haven’t signed a player yet this summer and lost 11 I believe. It’s a team of kids. This gives us enough time to go and get some bodies before the deadline that can help keep us up, and maybe surprise a few with a bit of luck and a fast start. He didn’t play the opener, we won, and his replacement scored. Good player but not sure he is worth it based on one strong season, but it’s the going rate these days and I think he’s 24 now also.

Only thing that sucks is 40% goes back to Newcastle.

I wish I had watched the game tbh, the FIFA career has made me invested in some of these players! I checked the match on Transfermarkt. Did Gallagher start on the RW or up top? It has Dolan as the starting center forward. Either way, good start to the campaign with Swansea expected to do well yet again.

Messi officially being announced as a PSG player. Man, that team with him, Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria...stacked. We'll see if they can handle the CL this year. Completely fizzled out last campaign.