• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I see "my" king starting to burn his own family, I will try to get the hell out of his sight and definitly won't risk my life to get him on any throne.

Caught up on the 2 episodes I missed during my vacation, definitly better than anything so far this season, especially the Hardhome episode.

Though you gotta wonder, why didn't Jon Snow just sail straight south with his fleet? Why go through the wall at all with those Wildlings? Minor nitpick of course, but still.

The writers basically took every opportunity to throw a cliff hanger into like 65 minutes. Wow. There were how many cliff hangers? 5? 6? Holy crap.

Next few months will be hellish. The cast and crew will also have to do a good job of protecting what happens to all of the unaccounted for characters when shooting resumes.

The kill count for this episode was insane. I thought they handled the Battle of Winterfell really well. It just makes me wonder where half of Stannis' men fucked off to though. You can't just lose 1000 men.

Jon isn't dead though. I can't believe that he would be. The Red Lady has to get her magic working because she clearly didn't get it going for Stannis. Poor Shireen likely sacrificed for nothing.

Truthfully I don't think any of the off camera deaths were actually deaths. Why not show Stannis die? I'm not sure about Sansa and Reek, but it wouldn't be a bad ending for either of them to go out. I don't think they'd kill them off though at least not yet. This is Game of Thrones though so fuck logic. Myrcella though. Yeah she's fucked.

Like every season, you read something in the script and go, “Oh f–k.” I kind of knew it was coming. I didn’t read [George R.R. Martin’s novel] A Dance with Dragons. But I read the other books and I had heard this is what happens. So I had an inkling it should be this season. I didn’t realize it would be the final shot of the season and that made it extra special. It’s always kind of nice really when you’re the last thing that happens in that episode. I dunno, I loved it. I loved how they brought Olly in to be the person who kills me. I love how the storyline with Thorne was wrapped up. I think it was really well crafted by [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss]. It felt like the right way for it to happen.

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future is not like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

I read the article earlier when it first came out. I still believe that they wouldn't off Jon and especially leave the Wall up to a POV of someone like Davos.

Makes no sense for Kit to potentially spoil a purposeful cliff hanger to the books and the show in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

You've Melisandre and a dead Jon Snow at the wall. Unless she's there to just interact with Davos, I don't think there would be any other reason to have her there, but for Jon.

I don't disagree. But it could be true that he won't be back... for next season. Just like Bran wasn't back for this one.

yup. he's not technically lying. his character is dead and he won't be back next season...

Entirely possible. It would just be strange to leave the Wall storyline like that. Also how do you explain Jon's sudden disappearance from the Wall? Does Melisandre and maybe Davos (hate for Melisandre aside) drag him away to have him be resurrected elsewhere without the knowledge of Thorne and co? That's tough to do. Though bodysnatching seems like a likely case given that they just left his body there full knowing that wights exist. The mere fact that they left his body in the snow means that it's probably going to get scooped up.

I would just hate for a season without the wall after Hardhome, but I'd especially hate it if the POV character was Thorne or fucking Olly with Jon gone.

I have an issue with that interview. I doubt that the producers would let Harington do the interview unless Jon is in fact dead. Also, even though they are an entertainment publication, EW isn't going to sacrifice it's integrity to help a TV show play into deceiving its audience. I'm pretty annoyed.

I have an issue with that interview. I doubt that the producers would let Harington do the interview unless Jon is in fact dead. Also, even though they are an entertainment publication, EW isn't going to sacrifice it's integrity to help a TV show play into deceiving its audience. I'm pretty annoyed.

EW isnt 100% independent though. Both them and HBO are owned by TimeWarner, which is why you see EW get the scoop on Game of Thrones stuff first, and how they always get these post-show interviews.

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they?re being whacked]. And they said, ?Look, you?re gone, it?s done.? And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don?t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It?s going to put questions into your head and into fans? heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, ?This is how it is.? If anything in the future is not like that, then I don?t know about it ? it?s only in David and Dan and George?s heads. But I?ve been told I?m dead. I?m dead. I?m not coming back next

He parses his words so carefully that it's almost the same red herring that was used to lure him out. I'm going to break it down:

This is my understanding of it.

Not, this is how it is. Just "his understanding".

And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don?t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways.

Inaccurate in many ways, but not specifically with his salary for season 6 and beyond. A clear cut answer would have been, "I don't have a contract for season 6.".

It?s going to put questions into your head and into fans? heads that things are not what they are.

Things on GOT are seldom what they really are and we always have questions like this.

I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have.

So suddenly the show runners are going to break tradition and tell him this even when the episode showed something with his character that could be a cliff hanger? Then they were also going to have him do a pre-interview with EW that would come out just minutes after the episode's conclusion to confirm his character's death on a show that BENEFITS FROM AUDIENCE SPECULATION BOTH WAYS ON THESE EXACT TYPES OF SITUATIONS?

If anything in the future is not like that, then I don?t know about it

That I'll buy. Is the John Snow character as we know him dead? Sure. I can see that. Has Kit been filled in on his acting future with GOT? Probably not. Probably the writing isn't finished yet.

But I?ve been told I?m dead. I?m dead. I?m not coming back next season.

And the entire problem with this "interview". Is Kit talking as Kit or is Kit talking as John Snow? Obviously, there is a huge difference.

Hey, I don't doubt he's not gone. Like I said, maybe it's a Bran thing. But I also don't see how you can support that whole Wall story without touching on it, unless you go the entire season without a Wall story.

Thing is, this is the first time in history now that the show has caught up to, and in a few cases, surpassed the books. So we're absolutely winging it.

He's broken everywhere else, why not add that in? It would be unfortunate if the Starks were all dead or crippled at the end of this.

I'm also very happy with the quick flashback to Syrio's fight from season 1 as I couldn't put my finger on why Arya hated him so much. I think she got him.