• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[Non-Forum Related] Fantasy Football

josh

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will play the 1st place team of my Divison (we have 2) in the Final. Played him twice in the Regular season and split those games.

It's a bit of a coint toss this time too I guess, though I think he's the favorite to win it, as I've struggled a bit to score points during the end of the regular season and my core (Bengals) is playing a tough opponent.

Finally returned to the winner's circle this year. Was in 3 leagues, two of which had $100 buy-ins, the other $250 buy-in dynasty format. Won the dynasty format one and one other league. What's crazy is that I had never done an auction draft before, which is how we did the dynasty one since it was our first season doing it. I blew like $120 of a $200 auction budget on Le'Veon Bell and Andrew Luck. When the later rounds came around, I had to sit there and watch every good player go off the board without being able to bid anything higher than $1. The last 5 rounds of the draft were all me just tossing out $1 bids. One of those was Tevin Coleman, another one was Devonta Freeman, another one was Tyler Lockett.

That team was, far and away, the WORST team I have ever drafted. I left that draft saying, "well at least I know what not to do next year." Yet inexplicably every week I played, my opponent had their worst week of the season. I had the lowest points for in the entire league and was in first place after 8 weeks. A typical weekly score in our format is 115. I'd get 90, my opponent would get 89. I lose Le'Veon Bell to injury, and I had dropped DeAngelo Williams once Bell came back. Andrew Luck wasn't doing dick. Somebody had dropped Doug Martin in like Week 3, so I had picked him up. I then pulled off a trade that sent Andrew Luck and Alshon Jeffery packing, and brought back Jordan Reed, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Russell Wilson (who had sucked at the time).

Lo and behold, this is the final roster that ends up winning it all (0.5 PPR format):

QB: Russell Wilson

WR: Martavis Bryant

WR: Tyler Lockett

WR: Willie Snead

RB: Doug Martin

RB: Devonta Freeman

TE: Travis Kelce

WR/RB: James White

WR/TE: Jordan Reed

OP: Ryan Fitzpatrick

BN: Donte Moncrief, Charles Sims, Jameis Winston, Cameron Artis-Payne, Melvin Gordon

IR: Justin Forsett

The best part about it is I can keep like half the roster because their auction/waiver prices were nothing. You can elect to keep a player for whichever is higher of their draft price or waiver wire price, plus $5. So Devonta Freeman will cost me $6 to keep. Doug Martin will cost me $11 to keep. Lockett will cost $6, Martavis Bryant $16, Jameis Winston $17, Melvin Gordon $13, Ryan Fitzpatrick $11, Jordan Reed $10, James White $6, Willie Snead $6, Donte Moncrief $6, etc.. I traded and added via the free agency just aiming to set up a dynasty roster, and inexplicably won a championship with a dirt cheap team in the process.

The other league was just fucking silly. It was far and away the most stacked roster I've ever drafted, and over the course of the season I lost the following players: Tony Romo, Le'Veon Bell, Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, and Justin Forsett. That's right. FOUR RB1s done for the season. Traded some WR depth, made some smart adds, won the championship regardless. Just craziness.

• 6 months later...

Only a few RBs are actually worth getting in the first 2 rounds, and one of them is now facing a 4 game suspension (again). I also think a few RBs are terribly overvalued. David Johnson and Zeke Elliot in the 1st? Lamar Miller in the 2nd? Fucking nuts.

Meanwhile, Lacy has fallen into the 3rd and Langford has fell to the 5th or worse. Both are going to become my targets this year.

• 1 month later...

10 team draft, PPR, pick #2

QB: Blake Bortles

WR: Odell Beckham

WR: Alshon Jeffery

WR: Doug Baldwin

RB: Doug Martin

RB: Jonathan Stewart

TE: Travis Kelce

FLEX: Jeremy Langford

BN: DeMarco Murray

BN: Rishard Matthews

BN: Emmanuel Sanders

BN: Matt Ryan

BN: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

BN: Pierre Garcon

K: Mason Crosby

D: Oakland

I think I did alright.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently one of the leagues I'm in is comprised of people who I don't think know what they are doing. This one guy is trying to trade Jordy Nelson and Brandon Marshall for Antonio Brown, so in his words he can get better production by picking up another D and TE. Like most leagues we can only start 1 D and we do have a TE flex but that would be a silly thing to do in a PPR league with tons of solid receivers this year.

So of course I'm just gonna screw around and try to drive up this guy's price. I tentatively offered Brady, Evans, and Floyd/Cobb for Brown. If I lose out this guy makes his team worse probably and if I win I get Antonio Brown to go with Julio Jones and I'll laugh forever.

Haha and it worked. He justed added Rawls to his offer.

• 1 month later...
One of the best teams in the league has Roethlisberger... but is trading for Jameis Winston, and only is giving up Kenneth Dixon (RB-Bal). This is the first time I can remember vetoing a trade, but it will go through unless enough league members veto. Sucks since I'm in a good playoff position and it is a 25 dollar buy-in.

So far this year my approach has been basically "hands off", I only switch injured and players on bye-week. Only week I did more thinking about my Lineup I lost.

5-2 in both my leagues now, despite glaring holes in my lineup, like having only 1 real RB in Forte.

My main team probably isn't deep enough to win it all, but so far it's going nicely.

I can't believe I am, cause my RBs are Forte, Matthews and that's it. Got some backup who I can plug in for Bye-weeks so I might get a point or two.

But looking around the league, other teams aren't much better off. No one there to trade with.

Plus I was pretty screwed over, since before the season started the engine for some reason decided I didn't need all the Keepers I wanted and dropped T.Y.Hilton. Since I forgot to post my Keepers on our Message Board, I was fucked. (still pretty pissed about that, after 10 years of playing together you'd think your Co-Commish would trust you more.) A losing season would certainly have killed my interest in staying in that league.

Yeah, I think I'm going to bow out of the Winston/Dixon league after five years. I only know the commissioner and his wife (no one else in the league) - I can keep up with those two in other ways. Other members are friends of his from Florida I've never met.

Sucks when you feel like you've gotten screwed over by your league -sorry about Hilton

I think if it had happened earlier I would have dropped out immediately, but it was like 2 days before the Draft and I didn't want to leave 10 people hanging, while being pissed at 2-3 of them. Ironically it's the people I know in person from being on the same Team years ago (almost a decade now, time flies), I have no troubles with any of the others.

Archived