• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers to Add "Muscle and Grit" for Next Season

Phil

1. why are we in a hurry to trade Georgiev?

They're probably not. But long-term, they're going to have to shit or get off the pot regarding whoever they see as their starter. That's almost certainly Shesterkin, which puts Georgiev, who might see himself as a starter, in a tough position. The Rangers, in fact, have relived this very thing recently with both Cam Talbot and Antti Raanta, both of whom were moved for exactly this reason. So was Cory Schneider, by the Canucks, years back. Teams can only hold onto a platoon of starting goaltenders for a finite amount of time before they need to settle on one and lose the other.

2. his price is at least 2 2nd rounders or late 1st rounder.

Based on what, exactly — your personal intuitions?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're probably not. But long-term, they're going to have to shit or get off the pot regarding whoever they see as their starter. That's almost certainly Shesterkin, which puts Georgiev, who might see himself as a starter, in a tough position. The Rangers, in fact, have relived this very thing recently with both Cam Talbot and Antti Raanta, both of whom were moved for exactly this reason. So was Cory Schneider, by the Canucks, years back. Teams can only hold onto a platoon of starting goaltenders for a finite amount of time before they need to settle on one and lose the other.

Based on what, exactly — your personal intuitions?

based on Talbot, Raanta and other goalie trades. I am sure many will disagree and gladly trade him for a 4th rounder. I will not try to convince anybody...

Well, defining a "good" player is pretty arbitrary, but I just looked at three second round drafts and defined "good" as having ended up playing 750 games in the NHL, which would be about 10 years as a regular. 2003 = 4; 2004 = 3; 2005 = 4. This supports the 11% figure. You can define it some other way and increase the percentage, but to get to 40%, you would have to include marginal players who were up for a cup of coffee. For example, I looked at one year, 2004, and you would have to define "good" NHL player to be anyone who got in 65 games over his career to get to 40% of round 2 picks. Lias and Brendl would meet that criteria! (Yes, I know they were first round picks).

2009, 2010, 2011- all averaged around 10 full time players each.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If they’re asking for a 1st for him, which it is doubtful that they are, they’re not going to get it for a guy that’s not yet shown he’s a starter and has played 125 total games of North American professional hockey.

Even if he were in the long-term plan, he’s only so at this point as a backup. And if that’s what he is on this roster, he’s gone in 2 years anyway, and by that therefore not in fact in the long-term plan.

We keep hitting on all the same points.

Move Georgiev and get what you can for him now. Eliminate the questions, controversy, and distraction. Let Lundqvist play out the last year of his deal as a veteran backup behind a young goalie who looks like he could be a star. Then recoup the cap hit and money next season. Invest in Igor long-term. Find another backup on the cheap either from within the organization or externally.

A Lundqvist buyout ultimately facilitated very little. Half the savings goes to Georgiev immediately.

If they’re asking for a 1st for him, which it is doubtful that they are, they’re not going to get it for a guy that’s not yet shown he’s a starter and has played 125 total games of North American professional hockey.

Even if he were in the long-term plan, he’s only so at this point as a backup. And if that’s what he is on this roster, he’s gone in 2 years anyway, and by that therefore not in fact in the long-term plan.

Move Georgiev and get what you can for him now. Eliminate the questions, controversy, and distraction. Let Lundqvist play out the last year of his deal as a veteran backup behind a young goalie who looks like he could be a star. Then recoup the cap hit and money next season. Invest in Igor long-term. Find another backup on the cheap either from within the organization or externally.

A Lundqvist buyout ultimately facilitated very little. Half the savings goes to Georgiev immediately.

no, they must make Lundqvist retire from NHL and go play with his twin. Let Georgiev be the backup, then trade him for a 1st rounder. Elementary, My Dear Watson.

Hot take - a cost controlled potential starter who might actually sign a bridge-ish deal in a market where cash flow isn't certain for the foreseeable future is a pretty damn valuable asset, especially to a team who needs a cheaper goalie.l

no, they must make Lundqvist retire from NHL and go play with his twin. Let Georgiev be the backup, then trade him for a 1st rounder. Elementary, My Dear Watson.
"They must make Lundquist retire from the NHL?" There's this funny thing about contracts. I've said before that maybe the Rangers could entice him to do it. That was contingent on Hank believing that he couldn't deliver the goods anymore. But you can't make him do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I've been watching a lot of the playoff games, and I haven't seen any heavy weight enforcers. Haven't they all died from CTE already?

Right. Imo, the angle of needing to add "phyiscality", "toughness", "grit", whatever is at best not precise.

What they need to add are good hockey players who understands how to play as a bottom 6/shut down type forward in the NHL. It's a skill, and a valuable one particularly when you get to the playoffs. Of course, that type of player will quite often be more physical players with a certain size and grit to their game, but the point isn't being big and tough, guys who can fight etc. The point is having an effective bottom 6 that makes life difficult for the opponent, plays hard, is responsible defensively and ultimately wears the opposition down. The Rangers under Quinn have at times treated the 4th line as a form of punishment for under performing and/or giving young players who aren't quite there yet ice time. At times out of necessity and at times because there simply aren't viable options, so I'm not really going to give them too much grief about it. But as the team edges towards contention that has to stop.

I've been watching a lot of the playoff games, and I haven't seen any heavy weight enforcers. Haven't they all died from CTE already?

Ryan Reaves I would say qualifies and I would love a guy like that on a fourth line especially rather than a kid who hasn't earned anything. But yeah unfortunately and very sadly may have died as a result of brain injuries and/or the impacts they have had on their lives.

well, not really the topic, but here we go!

Tom Wilson

Milan Lucic

Ferrland - Foligno

Matt Tkachuk and Brian Boyle have fought, as well. Islanders might put Ross Johnston in the lineup.

There have been quite a few fights during this playoff.

• Like 1

Milan Lucic is having a good playoff playing center and taking face-offs and winning at an 80% clip if he gets cut on a buyout I think the Rangers will really look at him about bringing him in Kyle Clifford is another one Matt Martin is a free agent and also Michael Haley

Lucic can't move. He's barely relevant, and is clearly in the death throes of his career. The only "enforcer" left in the league is Tom Wilson. He's a unicorn a la early years Lindros. There's a reason every team in the league tries (and fails) to reproduce him.

Yikes. A perfect example of the kind of guys that that Rangers have been trying out as 4th liners and who they should be avoiding!

This team is so soft. They need a HW enforcer, unfortunately. Even if its an outdated position. You arent getting a Tom Wilson. A Brendan Lemieux isnt going to fill the role needed.

A numbers of reports on TSN radio and on blogs are stating ?Rangers may not have the right mix. Too many Blueshirts are non-confrontational. They are easy to play against. This is not a problem during the regular season, but was a death sentence in the playoffs.?and that JD wants a ? ?Heavyweight ?and a team that initiated toughness

A numbers of reports on TSN radio and on blogs are stating ?Rangers may not have the right mix. Too many Blueshirts are non-confrontational. They are easy to play against. This is not a problem during the regular season, but was a death sentence in the playoffs.?and that JD wants a ? ?Heavyweight ?and a team that initiated toughness
I could not find one single quote saying that JD wanted a heavyweight. Can you link that?

A team that is tough to play against doesn't necessarily mean a team that fights.