• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers to Add "Muscle and Grit" for Next Season

Phil

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a moronic debate, I'm sorry. You're stumbling around in the dark, looking for a point of view. Your premise that Quinn has never won a cup (in two years as an NHL head coach) so that means he doesn't know how to win a cup, and therefore should be replaced. That is just about the most baseless comment that can be made, not to mention a logical nightmare. How many coaches in the league have won a cup, you ask? 6. One of which is Tortorella in 2004 (a completely different era). So by your logic, that means more than 81% of the teams in the league are coached by an inexperienced guy that needs to be replaced. Hmmmm.

You do realize it's not the same 6 guys who win every year, right?

• Like 1

I mean, I fully expect Laviolette to moonwalk into MSG, flick his wand and turn Greg McKegg into 1991 Craig McTavish.

In all seriousness, Laviolette is a very good coach. It just seems like a strange take because the last evidence we have is that he couldn't win with a stacked Predators team. So what makes us so sure he's capable of doing it with a massively inferior roster that is still very much under construction?

Time will tell if they got it right with Quinn. One of things I really like about this current iteration of the Rangers front office is that they have a long term plan and they're sticking to it. And that being the case, you simply don't go out and get a young coach from the NCAA only to turn around and can him the moment an experienced coach becomes available. That would be a colossal waste of everyones time. They clearly saw something in him to make them believe he'll be an excellent coach at the NHL level. So far, there are positives and there are things he needs to do better. That's not surprising with a hire like that.

I think it's a bit of a no brainer to stay the course for now.

Maybe I'm a couple sandwiches short of a picnic, but I like Quinn! I think he's going to be a very good coach for us moving forward. Like pete said, He did get an awful lot out of that roster last year before this virus bullshit hit. Kakko was probably the only player that didn't reach his expectation, and he's what? 11 years old too?

I say fuck it, I'm rolling with the Mighty Quinn, and I think he's got the balls to take us to the promised land!

As long as Ruff is out, now I'm feeling pretty good!

Bottom like is we have a better chance to win a Cup with Laviolette and his crew than with Quinn and his crew. You can argue and debate it all you want, I don't care.

Translation: I don't care about facts or data. I want to believe what I want to believe.

I mean, I fully expect Laviolette to moonwalk into MSG, flick his wand and turn Greg McKegg into 1991 Craig McTavish.

In all seriousness, Laviolette is a very good coach. It just seems like a strange take because the last evidence we have is that he couldn't win with a stacked Predators team. So what makes us so sure he's capable of doing it with a massively inferior roster that is still very much under construction?

Time will tell if they got it right with Quinn. One of things I really like about this current iteration of the Rangers front office is that they have a long term plan and they're sticking to it. And that being the case, you simply don't go out and get a young coach from the NCAA only to turn around and can him the moment an experienced coach becomes available. That would be a colossal waste of everyones time. They clearly saw something in him to make them believe he'll be an excellent coach at the NHL level. So far, there are positives and there are things he needs to do better. That's not surprising with a hire like that.

I think it's a bit of a no brainer to stay the course for now.

stacked Predators team? they finished with only 94 points that season that tied them for 15th best in NHL.

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2016/league

in 2010 he took 18th best team into the finals. https://www.nhl.com/standings/2009/league

you talking about yourself.

Laviolette is good at taking established teams beyond their expectations. He's actually pretty bad with younger teams - even the Flyers he coached to the finals had most of their core youth in their mid-20s already. He's not the right coach for a team like the Rangers with an average age of 25.

Laviolette is good at taking established teams beyond their expectations. He's actually pretty bad with younger teams - even the Flyers he coached to the finals had most of their core youth in their mid-20s already. He's not the right coach for a team like the Rangers with an average age of 25.

Doesn't the second bold actually tilt it more in favor of Laviolette based on the first bold?

Regardless, this is a bit pointless like the "trade Trouba" discussion that surfaces. Neither are happening.

• Like 1

stacked Predators team? they finished with only 94 points that season that tied them for 15th best in NHL.

in 2010 he took 18th best team into the finals. https://www.nhl.com/standings/2009/league

Not so good coach after all then? 15th and 18th with teams that?s clearly better than the 2020 Rangers. I pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was talking about the last few years. The team that won the Presidents Cup in 18 was stacked. The point being, he couldn’t win with rosters significantly better than what the Rangers have.

I was talking about the last few years. The team that won the Presidents Cup in 18 was stacked. The point being, he couldn’t win with rosters significantly better than what the Rangers have.

Even then, the Predators defense in 2017 was significantly better and more experienced than what the Rangers have. Josi, Ellis, Subban, and Ekholm comprised their top 4 with Irwin and Yannick Weber as the bottom pair. The Rangers don't have anyone of Josi's caliber currently. Fox and Ellis are both pretty similar, but that's saying that the Rangers' best defenseman was equivalent to Nashville's #2. Subban and Trouba are both similar in contribution but Subban in 2017 was still better than Trouba is now. Ekholm is what you hope you can get out of Lindgren in the long-run. Irwin and Weber are both more competent and mobile than either Smith or Staal in their current states.

That's just Nashville's defense. They then had better depth upfront. The Rangers might have significantly better firepower in top players like Zibanejad and Panarin, but as evidenced by this recent playoff there isn't much trickling down.

Most Rangers this season had their best offensive season in the league or was on pace for their best season, he’s handled the 3 goalie situation very well, and developed guys like Fox, Chytil, Lindgren masterfully in ny opinion.

Are we blaming him because Howden sucks? Or scrapping what an overall good season it was because they got slapped around in a 3 game covid play in with no fans? Because Kakko mentally wasn’t mature enough when he started the season? This isn’t a Tom Renney situation. Quinn is a good coach. He has some maturing to do but he will get there. Stay the course. I can’t believe we are even having this conversation.

This isn’t a Tom Renney situation. Quinn is a good coach. He has some maturing to do but he will get there. Stay the course. I can’t believe we are even having this conversation.

I agree it isn't a Renney situation (a coach with a decent roster and the best goalie in the game barely making the playoffs but getting credit because the team was out of the playoffs for seven years before without that goalie and with an inferior roster). I'm certainly satisfied with his development of younger players. As for team-wide game coaching, he's nothing like what we see in the better coaches in these playoffs. The question is whether he will be that kind of coach by the time we have the necessary horses, which is getting closer. Review the Quinn situation in a year or a year and a half.

I agree it isn't a Renney situation (a coach with a decent roster and the best goalie in the game barely making the playoffs but getting credit because the team was out of the playoffs for seven years before without that goalie and with an inferior roster). I'm certainly satisfied with his development of younger players. As for team-wide game coaching, he's nothing like what we see in the better coaches in these playoffs. The question is whether he will be that kind of coach by the time we have the necessary horses, which is getting closer. Review the Quinn situation in a year or a year and a half.

What was the Renney situation? lack of accountability?

in a year or 2 there might not be any great coaches available like Laviolette.