• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers to Add "Muscle and Grit" for Next Season

Phil

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m still not understanding why we are having this conversation?

Quinn has done a great job. We already had 5 more wins in 69 games than we did in 82 the year before and were trending up at a pretty good clip. We nee Laviolette because he won nearly 15 years ago? He’s a good coach. Don’t get me wrong. You don’t treat coaching staffs like you do you’re third like players by upgrading just because there is a more successful person available. If you do that you are constantly spinning wheels. Each coach brings in a philosophy, a style, different tactics, and an organizational change that resets a lot. We don’t need a reset when we are already trending up. We need to build on what we have, not tear the head off because of the covid cup setback.

I’m still not understanding why we are having this conversation?

Quinn has done a great job. We already had 5 more wins in 69 games than we did in 82 the year before and were trending up at a pretty good clip. We nee Laviolette because he won nearly 15 years ago? He’s a good coach. Don’t get me wrong. You don’t treat coaching staffs like you do you’re third like players by upgrading just because there is a more successful person available. If you do that you are constantly spinning wheels. Each coach brings in a philosophy, a style, different tactics, and an organizational change that resets a lot. We don’t need a reset when we are already trending up. We need to build on what we have, not tear the head off because of the covid cup setback.

Yeah, I’m not wrapping my head around this either. It’s nonsense to me why we are even entertaining it in thought, let alone talking about it.

While obviously their is much room for improvement and Quinn and his staff have to get better in some areas, I look at the team and see an incomplete group that has some pretty big holes and some pretty significant question marks. But I also see a young and talented core and a nice pipeline coming and a young coach gaining experience and doing some very good things while helping his young guys improve and learning his way through coaching at the highest level of the sport.

They hired and committed to him in large part due to things surrounding those reasons. They’ve already made progress and seem their results improved and the roster is only getting better.

There’s absolutely no viable reason to consider a coaching change

Renney, Torts, AV had clearly lost the rooms. Quinn isn’t close to that.

While I would like to see more progress and development from our youngest prospects, the 22-25 year old group he done well - Buchnevich, Strome, Hayes, Fox, Deangelo... the guys they needed made strides, which is a good indication.

• Like 1

Renney, Torts, AV had clearly lost the rooms. Quinn isn’t close to that.

While I would like to see more progress and development from our youngest prospects, the 22-25 year old group he done well - Buchnevich, Strome, Hayes, Fox, Deangelo... the guys they needed made strides, which is a good indication.

This 100%

And the progress you’re looking for from the younger players and prospects will come with time

Hopefully. But I’m also impatient. Haha

Well let me ask you, and I’ll put it in my terms as well, what was your timeframe on the rebuild from start (and when did it start in your eyes), to when it would be complete- and by complete I mean all pieces basically in place and they’re legit contenders and a Cup threat?

IMO, it started in June of 17, when they traded Step and bought out Girardi. While they may not have publicly said it there and even though they sign Shatty that summer, I think Gorton did that half-heartedly. And they only publicly acknowledged it 8 months later in February of ‘18.

When I saw the moves in June of 17, I thought they were moving towards that and it would only accelerate from there, and that by 21-22, they’d be in serious contention.

So, I thought in June 2017 that it would take like 3-5 seasons

You?

Well let me ask you, and I?ll put it in my terms as well, what was your timeframe on the rebuild from start (and when did it start in your eyes), to when it would be complete- and by complete I mean all pieces basically in place and they?re legit contenders and a Cup threat?

IMO, it started in June of 17, when they traded Step and bought out Girardi. While they may not have publicly said it there and even though they sign Shatty that summer, I think Gorton did that half-heartedly. And they only publicly acknowledged it 8 months later in February of ?18.

When I saw the moves in June of 17, I thought they were moving towards that and it would only accelerate from there, and that by 21-22, they?d be in serious contention.

You?

Had no idea they would sniff at the playoffs this year. Figured they would sniff in 20-21 and be in position to win a series or two in 21-22. That's still where I'm at, but they could could be a full year ahead. #1OA does not hurt.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well let me ask you, and I?ll put it in my terms as well, what was your timeframe on the rebuild from start (and when did it start in your eyes), to when it would be complete- and by complete I mean all pieces basically in place and they?re legit contenders and a Cup threat?

IMO, it started in June of 17, when they traded Step and bought out Girardi. While they may not have publicly said it there and even though they sign Shatty that summer, I think Gorton did that half-heartedly. And they only publicly acknowledged it 8 months later in February of ?18.

When I saw the moves in June of 17, I thought they were moving towards that and it would only accelerate from there, and that by 21-22, they?d be in serious contention.

You?

The letter.

That was ?we?re going to be bad for a long time?.

I think the Stepan trade was more about Shatenkirk than rebuilding.

I think they were looking at a longer rebuild, but #2 overall, the 2018 draft, Shesterkin emergence, Zibanejad progression all stepped it up, allows them to sign Panarin, then gifted #1.

The letter.

That was “we’re going to be bad for a long time”.

I think the Stepan trade was more about Shatenkirk than rebuilding.

I think they were looking at a longer rebuild, but #2 overall, the 2018 draft, Shesterkin emergence, Zibanejad progression all stepped it up, allows them to sign Panarin, then gifted #1.

I see what you’re saying on Stepan. But I think while Gorton moved that money out in part for Shattenkirk, he did it also because the roster was getting older, the window was closing, there was little in the cupboard, and he saw the handwriting on the wall.

After three seasons of rebuild and missing the playoffs (including this year) it is reasonable to expect that we make it next year; our roster may be flawed, but it is good enough. Two ultra elite players, both of whom are better than anyone on the rosters of half of the teams in the playoffs this year, plus a blue chip goalie, may not make you a contender, but it should put you in the playoffs.

After three seasons of rebuild and missing the playoffs (including this year) it is reasonable to expect that we make it next year; our roster may be flawed, but it is good enough. Two ultra elite players, both of whom are better than anyone on the rosters of half of the teams in the playoffs this year, plus a blue chip goalie, may not make you a contender, but it should put you in the playoffs.

yeah if they miss the playoffs, Quinn is gone.

Nope.

JD already said as much. Making the playoffs next season isn't a must.

Keep trying to wish it into reality. Here's the running list of shit that won't happen (even if it should, it won't)

Lias having value

Trading Trouba

Trading the #1 / Byfield being Malkin or better than Laffy

Firing Quinn

Don't forget

Howden being named captain

Staal being named captain to increase his trade value

Nope.

JD already said as much. Making the playoffs next season isn't a must.

Keep trying to wish it into reality. Here's the running list of shit that won't happen (even if it should, it won't)

Lias having value

Trading Trouba

Trading the #1 / Byfield being Malkin or better than Laffy

Firing Quinn

• Like 1

They aren’t moving off of Quinn after 3 seasons when the roster still has holes, they’re very young and rebuilding, there’s not a ton of cap space to make improvements, a flat cap is being imposed, and guys that are in future plans are still not in the NHL yet or are early in their NHL tenure.

And while they’re disappointed about their playoff showing, the 4 1/2 month layoff with a very young and incomplete roster has to be viewed as part of why. They’ll never say that or make excuses, but they know the deal. Plus Carolina is just better than them.

Quinn isn’t going anywhere bro. Stop talking about it. It’s a waste of conversation and time.

Don’t even know why it’s been brought up.

And there’s been zero talk of it anywhere in the media.

It’s just baseless speculation.

They aren’t moving off of Quinn after 3 seasons when the roster still has holes, they’re very young and rebuilding, there’s not a ton of cap space to make improvements, a flat cap is being imposed, and guys that are in future plans are still not in the NHL yet or are early in their NHL tenure.

And while they’re disappointed about their playoff showing, the 4 1/2 month layoff with a very young and incomplete roster has to be viewed as part of why. They’ll never say that or make excuses, but they know the deal. Plus Carolina is just better than them.

Quinn isn’t going anywhere bro. Stop talking about it. It’s a waste of conversation and time.

Don’t even know why it’s been brought up.

And there’s been zero talk of it anywhere in the media.

It’s just baseless speculation.

all depends how the season goes if they have a strong start and then lose 10 in a row he is likely to get canned. Quinn is like Howden, not really bad, but not really good and you know you can find an upgrade over him and don't have to look too hard.

all depends how the season goes if they have a strong start and then lose 10 in a row he is likely to get canned. Quinn is like Howden, not really bad, but not really good and you know you can find an upgrade over him and don't have to look too hard.

A bad losing streak can cause any coach to get the axe. It “depends how the season goes” applies to every coach.

We just saw it happen to Babcock, who everyone worshipped like he was the greatest thing in coaching.

Yes. Poor on ice results can get a coach fired, no matter their reputation and resume.

Not a hot take.

Quinn is learning and developing his coaching at the NHL level just like young and new players do. And the front office knew this was part of the process when they hired him and be sure they prepared themselves for any ups and downs when they hired him.

The signs have been very good. Progression has been good.

There’s absolutely no need to panic or think he’s in any danger.

Where do you come up with this???????

• Like 2

A bad losing streak can cause any coach to get the axe. It “depends how the season goes” applies to every coach.

We just saw it happen to Babcock, who everyone worshipped like he was the greatest thing in coaching.

Yes. Poor on ice results can get a coach fired, no matter their reputation and resume.

Not a hot take.

Quinn is learning and developing his coaching at the NHL level just like young and new players do. And the front office knew this was part of the process when they hired him and be sure they prepared themselves for any ups and downs when they hired him.

The signs have been very good. Progression has been good.

There’s absolutely no need to panic or think he’s in any danger.

I agree, but unless there are some injuries I think expectations are we are making the playoffs next season.

Unchanged, I don’t see this roster being a playoff team next year. The division Is stout and the East as a whole is deep as hell.. at the end of the day this is still a 2 line team with 1 defensive paring.

That being said, if JD and Gorts make good use of the assets in hand, and the limited FA dollars to make the bottom 6 anywhere from competent to annoying to play against, and find some better defensive parings, we will be cooking.. BUT...that is a hell of a lot to fix in one offseason with limited cash in hand.

Making the playoffs is not a must, not even close. The division is stacked at the moment. Islanders, canes and Blue jackets all making some noise in the playoff this year. Flyers are legit contenders and Penguins/Capitals still have a lot of star power that will make them dangerous.

I think Rangers are still the 2nd worst in the division (Devils lol) and will be underdogs to make it. Even with the WC spots they need to finish above atleast two of Penguins, Capitals, Islanders, Blue Jackets, Canes or Flyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Making the playoffs is not a must, not even close. The division is stacked at the moment. Islanders, canes and Blue jackets all making some noise in the playoff this year. Flyers are legit contenders and Penguins/Capitals still have a lot of star power that will make them dangerous.

I think Rangers are still the 2nd worst in the division (Devils lol) and will be underdogs to make it. Even with the WC spots they need to finish above atleast two of Penguins, Capitals, Islanders, Blue Jackets, Canes or Flyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree 100% Zuuc man. We still have miles to go before we sleep. Quinn's not going anywhere, and especially this year. This is not only going to be a growing season for the young players but also for him, I feel. I think Quinn got an awful lot out of the team last season before it shut down. We have lots of holes and lots of young talent that needs to develop. We're still harboring old shitty Sather contracts/buyouts that need to expire as well.

I like Quinn, and kinda see him as a young Al Arbour....;)

• 3 weeks later...
This is why the Rangers need more muscle in there lineup.they get run during the playoffs by Carolina and they don?t retaliate. Meanwhile Las Vegas just hammers the living hell out of Vancouver and Ryan Reeves only gets a one game suspension but they continue through the playoffs. The Rangers should model themselves after Las Vegas golden nights. They should be big mean and skilled. Not Smurf type hockey