• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with The King?

Ozzy

So now that some of the dust has settled, I think it's pretty safe to say the Rangers will not exactly be contending for a Championship in the all too immediate future. That pretty much closes the door on Hank's chance at winning a cup here in NY. His current 10 million a year isn't killing us right now, but it sure would be a shot in the arm to unload it somewhere.....but to whom....and for what?

I'm curious to see what you guys think we should do with Hank;

It's going to be a shooting gallery back there this year, and I think there's going to be a slower learning curve with some of the younger players coming up, especially the defensemen. I don't particularly mind that right now, but I kinda feel that Hank deserves a little better fate. I am hoping we can move the guy to a team that can contend for a cup. I think he deserves that....alla Ray Bourque.

Yeah I hope we can get back something of value, but I really don't expect a whole lot. Just getting a team to take on that mammoth deal would be a shot in the arm, no less get back a decent pick or young player. Is there even a market out there for Hank? What team can use a goalie?

We did draft a goalie in the 2nd round this year, so something's telling me that there's something brewing in the minds of our brass. I don't think they would necessarily "waste" a second rounder without giving what we're going to do with Hank some thought.

What do ya think, fellas?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He made his decision to stay. It seems like the team was very clear with him about the direction they were heading. He takes his lumps this year and hopefully offers some guidance to Georgiev. Following that he takes on a roll as a very expensive mentor/backup.

He's not going anywhere. He chose to stay and he's going to be allowed to stay as long as he wants. If he changes his mind, he won't be that hard to move. He's only owed $12.5 million after this upcoming season. He just carries a hefty AAV against the cap.

I imagine he'll be here through the end of his contract and then some.

He's not going anywhere. He chose to stay and he's going to be allowed to stay as long as he wants. If he changes his mind, he won't be that hard to move. He's only owed $12.5 million after this upcoming season. He just carries a hefty AAV against the cap.

I imagine he'll be here through the end of his contract and then some.

Cap hit is what I meant when mentioning salary.

He's here this year and we have the space. Down the line, if he wants to go and someone wants him, there wouldn't be a need to pay anyone extra. A team with cap space might want him. If not, they can pay us extra to retain some salary.

Why would we try to help the Flyers or Isles or Dallas or any team desperate for a goalie by giving up an asset. Obviously if someone sees value in Hank, he also would be bringing us value and leadership. We won't even be giving him away unless circumstances alter significantly.

Yeah, the thing is that unless someone's starter gets hurt, there won't be many trade destinations for him. He barely qualifies as a top-10 goalie anymore, and he's only going to want to go somewhere for a chance at the Cup. Teams that are in contention are either so good they don't need a star goaltender or they already have one. I have a hard time imagining a team that wants to add him at the deadline. Unless, you know, Tampa wants someone with a little more experience than Vasilevskiy for their true run for the Cup... (kidding of course)

Rangers are anticipating 30M in cap space after this season. Have a feeling the plan is to suck this season and then see what's available for a playoff run for the 19-20 season. Hank isn't going anywhere. Keep hearing Panarin wants to sign here after the season.

He's almost impossible to move. Does he actually improve any of the contenders?

Pittsburgh, possibly.

He improves all of the contenders. Problem is his contract wouldn't work for most of them. If he were to leave, it would be to a mid-tier team, not a contender.

Toronto would be a fun option though. Andersson stinks. We'd have to retain salary I guess.

He improves all of the contenders. Problem is his contract wouldn't work for most of them. If he were to leave, it would be to a mid-tier team, not a contender.

Toronto would be a fun option though. Andersson stinks. We'd have to retain salary I guess.

No he certainly does not.

He isn't better than Rinne, Hellebuyck, Vasilevsky, Holtby or Fleury. Whether he's an upgrade on Murray is debatable.

In the 2nd tier of contenders he isn't better than Quick and Jones. Might be an upgrade on Rask and as you say Andersson.

No he certainly does not.

He isn't better than Rinne, Hellebuyck, Vasilevsky, Holtby or Fleury. Whether he's an upgrade on Murray is debatable.

In the 2nd tier of contenders he isn't better than Quick and Jones. Might be an upgrade on Rask and as you say Andersson.

Rinne and Hellebuyck were both bad in the playoffs, Vasilevsky was pedestrian when the defense fell apart late in the year, Holtby lost his job as a starter, and Fleury was streaky in the playoffs as he's always done. Henrik maybe isn't a clear upgrade, but I'd take him over any of those guys.

Frederick ANDERSEN is maybe the one goalie in the league that Henrik isn't an upgrade on.

I don't understand how, when discussing Henrik, people forget the absolute sieve of a defense that has been in front of him. Give Henrik the Caps structure and watch him win the Vezina. No goalie has a chance the way the Rangers have defended the last couple of years, and the fact that his numbers are even decent is a testament to just how outstanding he really is. Like, if a Rangers fan has to pick a goalie to win one game, tomorrow, how could the fan pick anyone other than Henrik after watching the last decade? It's just baffling to me.

Rinne and Hellebuyck were both bad in the playoffs, Vasilevsky was pedestrian when the defense fell apart late in the year, Holtby lost his job as a starter, and Fleury was streaky in the playoffs as he's always done. Henrik maybe isn't a clear upgrade, but I'd take him over any of those guys.

Frederick ANDERSEN is maybe the one goalie in the league that Henrik isn't an upgrade on.

I don't understand how, when discussing Henrik, people forget the absolute sieve of a defense that has been in front of him. Give Henrik the Caps structure and watch him win the Vezina. No goalie has a chance the way the Rangers have defended the last couple of years, and the fact that his numbers are even decent is a testament to just how outstanding he really is. Like, if a Rangers fan has to pick a goalie to win one game, tomorrow, how could the fan pick anyone other than Henrik after watching the last decade? It's just baffling to me.

I'm not slating Henrik. I'm merely saying I don't think he's better than those goalies. Certainly not anywhere near enough of an upgrade to make them consider smashing their wage structure to trade for him. As for your points,

Holtby: Lost his place, then came back after 2 games and was absolutely instrumental in winning the Stanley Cup

Fleury: Was incredible literally throughout the season.

I dont think it's true Rinne and Hellebuyck were bad in the playoffs, although they both had iffy performances in key moments.

If I'm Tampa, Nashville, Washington, Winnipeg or Las Vegas I'm not even thinking about trading for Hank.

I'm not slating Henrik. I'm merely saying I don't think he's better than those goalies. Certainly not anywhere near enough of an upgrade to make them consider smashing their wage structure to trade for him. As for your points,

Holtby: Lost his place, then came back after 2 games and was absolutely instrumental in winning the Stanley Cup

Fleury: Was incredible literally throughout the season.

I dont think it's true Rinne and Hellebuyck were bad in the playoffs, although they both had iffy performances in key moments.

If I'm Tampa, Nashville, Washington, Winnipeg or Las Vegas I'm not even thinking about trading for Hank.

I didn't say those teams should trade for him. But this idea that all these guys are better than Henrik based on...idk what...is just a reach. They're all comparable in one way or another, but the context of where Henrik belongs among the best goalies in the league is way off.

Holtby was fine in the playoffs. But there's never been any legitimate consideration to not starting Henrik in the playoffs, is the point.

Fleury was awful in the Cup Final.

Rinne and Hellebuyck both had sv% of less than .900 in almost half of their playoff games. Off the top of my head...Rinne was 7 in 15 games and Hellebuyck was 8 in 17.

WPG had lots of turnovers and that didn't help Hellebuyck, but none of those guys had to play with a consistently horrible defense like Hank has had the last few years.

How can any fan who watched him play the last two seasons think he's good? As I've stated before, Raanta put up incredible numbers with a much worse defense. Nobody has any interest in taking old king paycheck. We're stuck with this Swedish nightmare, for what, 3 more years. We need our Russian Czar asap. Buy out his last year, along with his comrade Kravt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Maybe Lundqvist doesn't seem as good because the team in front of him isn't as good? Over the last three seasons, Lundqvist has faced the highest shots faced per game in his career. This season he faced 32.3 per game. The highest he's ever faced in his career. The second most he's faced was 29.9 per game in 2015-16. Compare those to a career average of 28.6. The team defense has been considerably worse.

Archived