• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Song of Ice & Fire (Book Discussion Only) *Possible Spoilers Inside*

4_4

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little too graphic for my tastes tonight — no need to see Tyrion smash that guy's face in like that, or watch The Hound's brother decapitate his horse like that. Watching Jaime put his blade through Stark's guard was disgusting, too. :puke:

Otherwise did a fine job of furthering the story, IMO.

This has quickly become my favorite show on television.

Disagree about the level of gore, this story is set in a brutal bloody world and in these kind of movies/series they need to show it with blood and guts and dirt and all for people to truly get a feel of what it was like to live in the world like that. I hate when there is a bunch of brutal knights fighting each other with spiked clubs, axes and great swords and all you see is maybe a drop of blood on someone. It's just not what it was like. when grown men go at each other with swords and axes it just gets plain nasty. Fantastic episode. I still have to pinch myself sometimes to realize it's true, I'm actually watching a superb quality version tv series of some of my favorite books of all time...amazing. Show goes by waayyyyyy too fast though...damn.

Disagree about the level of gore, this story is set in a brutal bloody world and in these kind of movies/series they need to show it with blood and guts and dirt and all for people to truly get a feel of what it was like to live in the world like that. I hate when there is a bunch of brutal knights fighting each other with spiked clubs, axes and great swords and all you see is maybe a drop of blood on someone. It's just not what it was like. when grown men go at each other with swords and axes it just gets plain nasty. Fantastic episode. I still have to pinch myself sometimes to realize it's true, I'm actually watching a superb quality version tv series of some of my favorite books of all time...amazing. Show goes by waayyyyyy too fast though...damn.

Implied gore is just as telling — see Se7en or the first Saw movie. You don't have to actually see someone get sliced in half by razor wire to understand after the fact just how gory the sight of it would be.

Had the shot with Tyrion smashing the attackers face in with the shield point been shot from below his waist like that, and had the end of the shield simply continued to get bloodier and bloodier, I'm fairly certain you'd have gotten the point, as would everyone have.

Implied gore is just as telling ? see Se7en or the first Saw movie. You don't have to actually see someone get sliced in half by razor wire to understand after the fact just how gory the sight of it would be.

Had the shot with Tyrion smashing the attackers face in with the shield point been shot from below his waist like that, and had the end of the shield simply continued to get bloodier and bloodier, I'm fairly certain you'd have gotten the point, as would everyone have.

Agree 100%. That was a bit much. Also jamie doesn't fight ned or kill jory. He leaves and has his men do it

They're doing little things to add to the gore — like showing Jamie's dagger go through Ned's guard's eye, and watching his other eye twitch. That's the shit that's unnecessary to me, IMO.

Scene would have been just as effective had you seen the blade come out the back of his skull like you did in a later shot.

They did a similar thing with the Knight who the Hound's brother killed in the joust where not only did the wood go through his neck, but you had to watch the blood bubble and spill out of his neck, and then watch him slowly die. Too much.

They're doing little things to add to the gore — like showing Jamie's dagger go through Ned's guard's eye, and watching his other eye twitch. That's the shit that's unnecessary to me, IMO.

Scene would have been just as effective had you seen the blade come out the back of his skull like you did in a later shot.

They did a similar thing with the Knight who the Hound's brother killed in the joust where not only did the wood go through his neck, but you had to watch the blood bubble and spill out of his neck, and then watch him slowly die. Too much.

Sure there might be instances like that where it get's very bloody, i didn't even notice the eye twitch tbh and wouldn't have cared if they didn't show that shot, but I'm very happy they are actually SHOWING the violence in this show, it's needed imo to fully get the raw taste of these times, yes implied violence can be used at times and should be used in times (for example you don't ever need to see a little child chopped to pieces etc) but a show like this that tells an extremely violent story during extremely violent times...noo...talking about beheading ppl isn't good enough and watching a whole fight where in the end a bunch of ppl lies piled on the ground but you never saw a blood drop or a limb cut off or a cut of any sort is just irritating to me, im not some kind of freak who loves blood but in these PARTICULAR movies/series set in medieval times etc it's just simply needed to paint a true portrait of the time. Sure....there's always a limit...maybe the twitching eye was going to far but in a case like this series i rather they go a bit too far than not far enough. I remember watching Braveheart in 1995 the first time in the movies and it was just an eye opener...you really get a taste of the violence and it enhanced the movie tenfold...not just a bunch of shiny knights fighting each other and killing ppl left and right with no blood whatsoever or even a scratched armor.

that didn't bother me as much. the tyrion shield smashing and the dagger through eye bothered me much more because they weren't in the book and clearly done to gore it up for the tv cameras.

Different scene, was that Renly/Loras Gaysex in the book? I really don't remember anything like that.

nope. it's implied a bit in different spots in later books. there nothing mentioned in the first book that i can remember and it's never actually shown.

all you have to do to figure out what's in the book and what's not is to think of the POV characters. if there's no point of view characters in a particular scene, it's not in the book.

Different scene, was that Renly/Loras Gaysex in the book? I really don't remember anything like that.

They made a scene like this because it's easier to portray a relationship like that in a direct scene like that rather than subtle hints etc like in the books.

1) the "gore" was nothing over the top. could they have done without it? sure i guess. maybe i am just de-sensitized at this point but I feel like I have seen MUCH worst in other movies.

2) the fight scene at the end of the episode was awesome. i really cant stand the lannisters haha

3) the worst part of that entire episode was when lady stark and the imp got to her sister. that entire part of the episode had me creeped out.

4) I get so pissed off when each episode ends. this might really be the best thing on tv right now.

You know what pisses me off? HBOGo is offering fans the opportunity to watch Episode 7 right after Episode 6, but TimeWarner Criminals don't carry the fuckin' service yet! UGH!

im 90% sure you can do it online but i dont know the specifics

They made a scene like this because it's easier to portray a relationship like that in a direct scene like that rather than subtle hints etc like in the books.

completely disagree. you could tell something was up with them at the joust. there's no need to invent a whole scene.

all you need is a look here and a smile there, and you can tell what is being implied.

there are giving renly and theon greyjoy way too much screen time for the first book.

1) the "gore" was nothing over the top. could they have done without it? sure i guess. maybe i am just de-sensitized at this point but I feel like I have seen MUCH worst in other movies.

2) the fight scene at the end of the episode was awesome. i really cant stand the lannisters haha

3) the worst part of that entire episode was when lady stark and the imp got to her sister. that entire part of the episode had me creeped out.

4) I get so pissed off when each episode ends. this might really be the best thing on tv right now.

that was my favorite part. the sky cells were awesome. they are supposed to be sloped ever so slightly so prisoners feel like they are going to slide right off. plus any scenes with tyrion automatically win.

that was my favorite part. the sky cells were awesome. they are supposed to be sloped ever so slightly so prisoners feel like they are going to slide right off. plus any scenes with tyrion automatically win.

yea but her sister seems like a giant nut job lol