• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

The only thing soccer is good for is watching girls run around in short shorts. Other than that, soccer is one of the most boring sports to watch. You know it's boring when they can go to a commercial break and are come back and absolutely nothing has happens since they left.

I can't wait to hear where and how often you watch soccer to see this happen, because I've watched soccer all my life and on feeds from around the globe and I've never seen an in-game commercial break. Not an Asia, certainly not in Europe and not even when I watched it in the US.

• Like 1

I can't wait to hear where and how often you watch soccer to see this happen, because I've watched soccer all my life and on feeds from around the globe and I've never seen an in-game commercial break. Not an Asia, certainly not in Europe and not even when I watched it in the US.

They do show pretty long, slow-motion replays during actual play though

I don't watch soccer all to much. I should and my grandmother watches it all of the time. Only team I really get into soccer is during any big tournament or cup because that's when my family gets into it. I'm half Argentinean so I typically root for Argentina and the US, but you really can't compare the two. The only downside to rooting for Argentina is that somehow Germany will always find a way to eliminate you.

They do show pretty long, slow-motion replays during actual play though

At best during 10 seconds of uneventful play. It's the equivalent of a replay as the pitcher gets ready for the next pitch, as the referee and teams get ready for the next face-off or a football team preparing for the next snap. There's rarely a sudden break during actual play and certainly not for commercials.

At best during 10 seconds of uneventful play. It's the equivalent of a replay as the pitcher gets ready for the next pitch, as the referee and teams get ready for the next face-off or a football team preparing for the next snap. There's rarely a sudden break during actual play and certainly not for commercials.
Now imagine missing ten seconds of play in a hockey game. It's a lifetime.

If your family has been here for over 2 generations you should root for USA and only USA

I always root for USA in the World Cup but man, they're hard to root for when we have nobody fun to watch.

Plus, we always get beaten by Ghana. Still mad at Asamoah Gyan.

Hockey is in a league of its own in terms of continuous excitement. That's the greatest selling point of the game.

Right, exactly. So that's why, when I watch any other sport, I'm bored out of my mind.

Right, exactly. So that's why, when I watch any other sport, I'm bored out of my mind.

Oh, I get that, it's not for everyone and if you aren't invested in a team an average game can be boring when watched on TV, but I'm responding to people who claim that soccer is o so boring and than list an example of how boring it is that I've not seen happen in twenty years of watching the game.

If your family has been here for over 2 generations you should root for USA and only USA

How does this make any sense? If your Great Grandfather was a Yankee fan, your Grandfather was a Yankee fan, and your Father was a Yankee fan, it's not ok for you to be a Yankee fan? Rooting interests usually stem from tradition.

Yankees isn't a nationality lol

I knew you'd say that. That wasn't the point I was making which is why the last sentence talked about tradition. Rooting interests usually come from tradition in the family. Some kids steer in different directions, but for the most part having a rooting interest in a team happens because of a close relatives interest in that team.

I knew you'd say that. That wasn't the point I was making which is why the last sentence talked about tradition. Rooting interests usually come from tradition in the family. Some kids steer in different directions, but for the most part having a rooting interest in a team happens because of a close relatives interest in that team.

If you're great grandfather was from Toronto and moved to New York later on in life you would be a leafs fan?

It's not like I don't root for the US as well. My whole family including my Argentinean side does. It's not like Argentina ever matches up against the United States in any important game anyway. I root for the United States no matter what but I also support Argentina because of my heritage and I know they're the better team.

Also, I'm fluent in Spanish because it's really all my grandparents speak.

If you're great grandfather was from Toronto and moved to New York later on in life you would be a leafs fan?

My Grandfather lived in Ohio and was an Ohio State fan then moved to New York and settled here. My father became an Ohio State fan as well as myself and I plan on my kids following me.