• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The General NFL Talk Thread

Shane Falco

3 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Not as wild as the Bills/Chiefs. My heart is pounding and i don’t even like both these teams 

Same, and I was half pulling for the Bills because honestly, Buffalo fans deserve something. If you ever have the chance to watch that ESPN docu on the, I think called four falls of Buffalo or so,ethibg. It’s great.

ot rules need a revamping. This is for so much in the playoffs. For Buffalo to not get a chance is criminal to me. A coin toss shouldn’t decide this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Same, and I was half pulling for the Bills because honestly, Buffalo fans deserve something. If you ever have the chance to watch that ESPN docu on the, I think called four falls of Buffalo or so,ethibg. It’s great.

ot rules need a revamping. This is for so much in the playoffs. For Buffalo to not get a chance is criminal to me. A coin toss shouldn’t decide this. 

Agree.  Of course some people will say: "But if the Defense can't make a stop yaddayadda".

Don't give me that shit people, after a game like this both Defenses are dead tired and whoever gets the Ball first wins.

• VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

Agree.  Of course some people will say: "But if the Defense can't make a stop yaddayadda".

Don't give me that shit people, after a game like this both Defenses are dead tired and whoever gets the Ball first wins.

They were both gassed!!  Looked like a Ranger PK after 5 minutes!!!  LOL

4 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

F that, OT is fine.  Defense needs to make a stop.  Everyone wants a change b/c its fresh in the mind that this game was one of the most epic playoff games.  However, I can almost guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot, hardly anyone would complain that Mahomes didnt get to touch the ball.  Everyone would have been rejoicing that their was some new blood in the AFC Championship game.  Lets say they change the rules that each team possesses the ball, both teams score a TD, then what?  We just go back and forth?  You talk about players being gassed, then if the game continues going back and forth, greater chance of a major injury.  

This is from a couple of years ago

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/coin-toss-would-remain-important-if-ot-rule-is-tweaked/

In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to 

Ross

Tucker

of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Quote says winning the OT coin toss win 52.7% of the time AT SOME POINT, not on the first possession.  

Edited by Blue Heaven

1 minute ago, H-Dreamer said:

You can totally have Sudden Death after each team had a possession.

Then the whining will happen again, but the other QB didnt get their chance to tie up the game.  For a game of football, their isnt a perfect scenerio for OT like in the other major sports.  

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

F that, OT is fine.  Defense needs to make a stop.  Everyone wants a change b/c its fresh in the mind that this game was one of the most epic playoff games.  However, I can almost guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot, hardly anyone would complain that Mahomes didnt get to touch the ball.  Everyone would have been rejoicing that their was some new blood in the AFC Championship game.  Lets say they change the rules that each team possesses the ball, both teams score a TD, then what?  We just go back and forth?  You talk about players being gassed, then if the game continues going back and forth, greater chance of a major injury.  

This is from a couple of years ago

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/coin-toss-would-remain-important-if-ot-rule-is-tweaked/

Quote says winning the OT coin toss win 52.7% of the time AT SOME POINT, not on the first possession.  

I’m not sure where you are getting “if the shoe were on the other foot” kind of thing. A lot of complaints are from people like ourselves with no skin in the game. It’s not a case of wanting to see new blood. It’s about each team should get a touch of the ball once. It’s asinine to have certain scores end the game immediately and certain scores not be “good enough” to end it. If you’re going to have rules where ot continues after a field goal, then you need to have it for a td, safety, or whatever. 

the ONLY score that should end it immediately is if the defense scores from a turnover because then both teams got a touch of the ball in ot. 

I’m only suggesting it for the playoffs. I don’t mind the regular season doing this because that’s where injuries are a concern. This is the playoffs though. It’s very different. Hockey gets that with diff ot rules in regular season and playoffs. Baseball gets that with diff extra innings rules. Football doesn’t which seems so odd considering how important each game is with a 1 off game scenario. 

Edited by Keirik
  • VINNY! 1

I'm not sure if you young'ins know, but before the OT rules we see now, it used to be total "luck of the flip".  If you won the toss, went downfield and booted a FG, that was it!  No possession for the other team at all.  It was first team to score wins!

This set up is much more fair in that at least you CAN get another possession as long as the first team doesn't score a TD.

I haven't seen the "Safety" situation yet though....maybe this week!  LOL

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not sure if you young'ins know, but before the OT rules we see now, it used to be total "luck of the flip".  If you won the toss, went downfield and booted a FG, that was it!  No possession for the other team at all.  It was first team to score wins!

Oh, I remember those times, I wish I could forget the game that made them change the rules. lol

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Gonna guess their won't be any whining about the OT rules today?  

KC got the ball, Cinci D stepped up, Burrow gets the ball and gets them into easy FG range. 

Both teams got a possession so why would there be? Isn’t that exactly what everyone has been asking for? 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1