• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 SCF: Panthers vs Oilers

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/2024 at 12:21 AM

BSBH Game Day Thread Logo

(1A) Florida Panthers vs. (2P) Edmonton Oilers

image.png

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS:

Oilers: 49-27-6, 104 points; defeated Los Angeles Kings 4-1 in first round, Vancouver Canucks 4-3 in second round, Dallas Stars 4-2 in conference final

Panthers: 52-24-6, 110 points; defeated Tampa Bay Lightning 4-1 in first round, Boston Bruins 4-2 in second round, New York Rangers 4-2 in conference final

SEASON SERIES:

FLA 2-0-0; EDM 0-2-0

GAME BREAKERS:

Panthers: Expect Matthew Tkachuk to be fired up to face Edmonton, a familiar rival from his six seasons with the Calgary Flames before he was traded to Florida in 2022. The 26-year-old forward leads the Panthers with 19 points (five goals, 14 assists) in 17 games this postseason after leading them with 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) in 20 games last season before a fractured sternum sidelined him for the last game of the Final. Tkachuk has 26 points (10 goals, 16 assists) in 32 career regular-season games against the Oilers, including 23 (nine goals, 14 assists) in 28 games with the Flames. Tkachuk had four points (three goals, one assist) when Calgary lost to Edmonton in five games in the 2022 Western Conference Second Round.

Oilers: Draisaitl, who is second in the playoffs with 28 points (10 goals, 18 assists) in 18 games, qualifies for this as well, but McDavid is proving again to be one of the most prolific scorers in NHL history. The 27-year-old forward is the sixth player to have multiple playoff years with at least 30 points (also 2022), joining Wayne Gretzky (six times), Mark Messier (three), Jari Kurri (two), Mario Lemieux (two) and Nikita Kucherov (two), and the second to do it multiple times before the Final (Gretzky, four times). His 26 assists are tied for sixth-most in a playoff year, five behind the record of 31 set by Gretzky in 1987-88. McDavid scored a highlight-reel toe-drag power-play goal and set up Zach Hyman’s winning power-play goal in Edmonton’s Game 6 victory against Dallas.

GOALTENDING:

Panthers: Sergei Bobrovsky has allowed two goals or fewer in 13 of 17 playoff games, including five of the six in the Eastern Conference Final. A two-time winner of the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s top goalie and a finalist again this season, the 35-year-old is 12-5 with a 2.20 goals-against average, .908 save percentage and one shutout, starting and finishing all 17 games for the Panthers in the playoffs. Bobrovsky was 4-2 with a 1.89 GAA, .921 save percentage and one shutout in the conference final. His .855 save percentage against high-danger shots on goal (106 saves, 124 shots), according to NHL EDGE, is the best among goalies to play at least five games in the playoffs.

Oilers: Stuart Skinner is 11-5 with a 2.50 GAA. .897 save percentage and one shutout in 16 playoff games (all starts) but was at his best in the Western Conference Final, going 4-2 with a 1.91 GAA and .922 save percentage, including stopping 33 of 34 shots in Game 6. Since retaking Edmonton’s net after Calvin Pickard started Games 4 and 5 of the second round against Vancouver, the 25-year-old is 6-2 with a 1.81 GAA and .920 save percentage and gave up two goals or fewer in seven of the eight games. His .842 save percentage against high-danger shots on goal (80 saves, 92 shots) is second best among goalies to play at least five games in the playoffs. Pickard is 1-1 with a 2.21 GAA and .915 save percentage in three playoff appearances (two starts).

X FACTORS:

Panthers: Bennett -- To match or even contain McDavid and/or Draisaitl, the Panthers will need their top two centers, Barkov and Bennett, to stay healthy and physical on both ends of the ice. Bennett, who has been limited to 12 of Florida’s 17 games because of an injury this postseason, has 10 points (six goals, four assists) playing mostly on a line with elite wing Tkachuk and ranks fourth on the Panthers in points per game (0.83) -- ahead of notable offensive players like Reinhart (0.71), Montour (0.53) and Vladimir Tarasenko (0.35). Bennett has a three-game playoff goal streak and had four points (two goals, two assists) in two regular-season games against the Oilers. 

Oilers: Adam Henrique -- Given Florida’s strong scoring depth this postseason, Edmonton may need a big series, and perhaps a clutch goal in the later stages, from Henrique. The 34-year-old forward, acquired from the Anaheim Ducks prior to the NHL Trade Deadline on March 6, has been limited to 10 of the Oilers’ 18 playoff games because of an injury but has chipped in with four points (two goals, two assists). Three of Henrique’s seven career playoff goals have been game-winning goals, with two coming in overtime; both of those overtime goals were series-clinching goals for the New Jersey Devils in 2012, with one coming in double overtime against the Panthers in Game 7 of the first round that postseason. Henrique also had three points (one goal, two assists) in two games against Florida while playing for Anaheim this regular season. 

WILL WIN IF:

Panthers: Florida wore down New York with its forecheck and grinding physical game and will have to do the same to slow down Edmonton and win the Stanley Cup. Barkov, the Selke Trophy winner as the NHL’s top defensive forward this season, and defenseman Gustav Forsling will no longer be underrated if they can contain McDavid and Draisaitl the way they have other top offensive players. The Panthers were able to win the special teams battle against a Rangers team that was dominant on the power play and penalty kill in the first two rounds and will need to at least keep it close to even against the Oilers. Limiting trips to the penalty box would be a good first step.

Oilers: Everything begins with McDavid and Draisaitl and the special teams, but Edmonton’s defense will be tested like it has not been previously by Florida’s incessant forecheck and physicality. If the Oilers can break the puck out of their zone quickly and cleanly and limit the time they spend defending, that will give their skilled players more time and energy to go to work at the offensive end. Edmonton probably doesn’t get enough credit for how well it has defended in the playoffs and will need to continue so in this series. And Skinner must at least maintain his level from the conference final, particularly the last three games when he allowed only total four goals. Otherwise, the Panthers have the offensive skill to take advantage.

MORE:

Rangers mentally drained me for 1 1/2 months, and now I have my nights back.  

Would like to see Edmonton win b/c fuck Florida.  

Then again another year w/ Canada not winning a Cup would be sweet......but then again fuck florida.  

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

I got the Cats in 6

I can't help it, I actually like PAul Maurice, and I also would like to say that we lost to the eventual Stanley Cup Champs.  I'm not sure Skinner is gonna hold up against all that net storming Florida does, and I also don't think Edmonton will be able to hold up against their physicality. 

It’s miserable here with all these bandwagon panthers fans out of the woodwork 

Not going to watch more than likely but would really love to see panthers choke or bob implode 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I think I speak for everybody here when I say, respectfully, fuck off. 

🙂

100%, but also, Fuck Alec Martinez and Adam Henrique forever, means for fucking ever. Go Panthers.