• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will Our Real Captain Stand up?

19 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

Quick? 

No way.

Igor has been fine. Igor was amazing through 40. The team fractured in front of him in the last 20. And they sucked the first 40 too.

Of all the “marquee” Rangers, Igor was the only one free of blame tonight. Zibanejad, Kreider, Panarin, Fox. All awful tonight in almost every possible way. Kreider is back to being a passenger. Guy just had no second gear tonight whatsoever.

Igor will be fine. But it’s going to take the big guys here putting it together for 60 minutes on Thursday if we want to avoid a potential nuclear scenario in MSG.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

No way.

Igor has been fine. Igor was amazing through 40. The team fractured in front of him in the last 20. And they sucked the first 40 too.

Of all the “marquee” Rangers, Igor was the only one free of blame tonight. Zibanejad, Kreider, Panarin, Fox. All awful tonight in almost every possible way. Kreider is back to being a passenger. Guy just had no second gear tonight whatsoever.

Igor will be fine. But it’s going to take the big guys here putting it together for 60 minutes on Thursday if we want to avoid a potential nuclear scenario in MSG.

I agree. I misread the question. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

The power play has dried up. We were quick and confident with the movement earlier in the series. Carolina being aggressive is hard to deal with but if you make the quick passes you can open up so many avenues and we were. Our issue is our zone entries are fucking terrible. Terrible. They need to win that opening face off or else we’re in shit for 2 minutes because they are not dumping and chasing well (tonight was a mess there) and Carolina stops them at the line and forces turnovers because the puck ends up in the hands of someone you don’t want it to near the blue line (Kreider) and we’re right back to regrouping and restarting a rush.

To answer your question, it needs to be one of the big guys. They’ve all been well at points here and played well in this series. But right now, they need to put on their big boy pants and meet the desperation of - very good Hurricanes team not only staring elimination in the face, not only staring at the potential of forcing a 7th game after being down 0-3, but also staring at the likelihood of this being The Last Ride for this group all together. That’s daunting. But they’re not gonna beat them until they match that intensity. Because that tonight? That tonight isn’t going to get it done. Not even close.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

The team has vocal leadership. The problem is the really good players we have are too hit and miss. Last night was a miss. The first period of the previous game was a miss. We know they can be great, we've seen it, the issue has always been you're never know what you're going to get on a nightly basis. Hopefully it's just one really bad game, but the PP looking like crap again doesn't really exude confidence. On to game six and the next unknown adventure.

Posted (edited)

We need a player like Kakko, Vesey, Chytil or even Roslovic to win us a game. Unfortunately, I have no confidence in our leadership group, whether real or de facto captains. 

Edited by Mistercosmic
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

What they need to do is remember how they felt after being embarrassed in game 7 by the Devils last year and decide if they want to relive that incredible failure OR do whatever the fuck they need to do in order to close the series out in game 6. Every single player needs to decide that they are willing to play outside their comfort zone and do anything and everything it takes to win this series. That means backchecking your ass off every second of every shift, finishing every hit, winning every 50/50 puck battle, making Andersons night a living hell by crashing the net, pounding their D in the corners, and getting in the Canes faces every chance they get. If it means fighting, then drop the fucking gloves. They have to play game 6 like there is no tomorrow. They can be the better team and it is all in their hands, so either they want it more than the Canes or they don't.  If they lose this series, it's time to blow it up.  

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trouba stepped up and scored last night when nobody else wanted to. It’s not really a captain thing. It’s a “stars disappear” thing, and they are in the middle of doing it again.

Right. This also feels like a rehash of the weird captain conversations fans have based on the small fraction of what we can actually see on the ice. I'll never understand why any of us think we're informed to make judgements on that aspect of the game. It's basically entirely on the coaching staff to know who is and isn't the team's leaders.

It's 150% the "stars disappear" or "stars don't show up when you need them most" thing. That's been the narrative for the last two years and last night's loss was incredibly painful, not because they lost, but because of how they lost, which was indistinguishable from how they collapsed the last two years in the playoffs. All we can do is hope like hell it was a blip, because if it wasn't, heads are going to roll.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

The team has vocal leadership. The problem is the really good players we have are too hit and miss. Last night was a miss. The first period of the previous game was a miss. We know they can be great, we've seen it, the issue has always been you're never know what you're going to get on a nightly basis. Hopefully it's just one really bad game, but the PP looking like crap again doesn't really exude confidence. On to game six and the next unknown adventure.

Right. I don't think this is an issue of players not being able to speak up or being too quiet. I think it's an issue of them lacking the requisite "fuck you" to take what they want. Friedman has been talking a bunch this year about how some teams are "afraid to win." Last night felt unnervingly like that.

• Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trouba stepped up and scored last night when nobody else wanted to. It’s not really a captain thing. It’s a “stars disappear” thing, and they are in the middle of doing it again.

That goal had me thinking- short-handed 2 on 1, what are the outcomes with Trouba leading the rush and passing to ________ ?

1. "Oh Fuck"-  Wennberg- He'd take the pass right on the tape and chip it in the corner, Goodrow- would have been better off throwing a grenade with the pin pulled to him (thankfully Trouba recognized this), Gustafsson- he'd miss the net by 15 feet.
  2.  "Christ- I don't feel good about this"- Kakko- 100% chance he his Anderson right in the eye of the hurricane on his jersey, even if he was 10 feet away from the net. Schneider/Cuylle/Rempe - Each would have the pass hit the tape, immediately shit their pants and fumble it without getting a clean shot off. 
  3. "This should work... oh.. what the fuck was that?"- Kreider- Takes the pass, trucks Anderson while soring- goal waived off, 2 man advantage for Carolina. Lafreniere- backhand to forehand to backhand dekes that give Anderson vertigo to the point he misses the rest of the season- chips the backhand over the cage. Fox- perfect pass, 22mph wrister into an open catching glove.
  4. "At least he hot the net"- Lindgren/Roslovic/Miller- Probably saved, but at least on net and make the keeper work a bit. 
  5. "Why has God Forsaken Me?" - Mika- perfect feed for the patented (in Sam voice) "one timer by Zibenejad... saved by Anderson".  Game 5 Panarin- A perfect pass followed by a triple toe, triple salchow jump combo that wows the judges, but doesn't get the shot off (The judges are all 9.8 or 9.9 except the Russian judge who gives it a 6.2). 
  6.  "Holy shit! A Goal!"- Trocheck/Vesey- No-nonsense snapper in the back of the net. 
  7. "Wildcard"Igor receives a drop pass and fires a lase wrister top shelf. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Right. This also feels like a rehash of the weird captain conversations fans have based on the small fraction of what we can actually see on the ice. I'll never understand why any of us think we're informed to make judgements on that aspect of the game. It's basically entirely on the coaching staff to know who is and isn't the team's leaders.

It's 150% the "stars disappear" or "stars don't show up when you need them most" thing. That's been the narrative for the last two years and last night's loss was incredibly painful, not because they lost, but because of how they lost, which was indistinguishable from how they collapsed the last two years in the playoffs. All we can do is hope like hell it was a blip, because if it wasn't, heads are going to roll.

This is absolutely right. Your best players have to be your best players. It's great to see Cuylle, Roslovic, or Schneider have a great game here and there - and by all means, they need to chip in. But night-in, night-out, your top dogs getting top minutes need to have a positive impact. There's no way to have playoff success without that. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

when is it time to blame the coach?  

IF they shit this one away, it will be on every player but 1 or 2 and the coaching staff. IF.

24 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

when is it time to blame the coach?  

I don't know, but I know this: four coaches in three years ain't it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I don't know, but I know this: six coaches in three years ain't it.

That's exactly what it felt like when GG was canned and it took awhile to get Lavi onboard.

When the problem is in the vet base it's very hard to fix it quickly.

What the Rangers don't have right now is the guy who drives the team on the ice.

We have a lot of talent that often go off and do their own thing.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

What the Rangers don't have right now is the guy who drives the team on the ice.

We have a lot of talent that often go off and do their own thing.

They take what's given to them. It's been my number one gripe with this roster construction for years. It's why I spent half the year talking about acquiring "bulls."

The good news is, globetrotter-y as they are, they've shown a real propensity for being comeback kids this year, so there's reason to keep the faith.

• Believe 3

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

They take what's given to them. It's been my number one gripe with this roster construction for years. It's why I spent half the year talking about acquiring "bulls."

The good news is, globetrotter-y as they are, they've shown a real propensity for being comeback kids this year, so there's reason to keep the faith.

Half the year?  Half your lifetime more likely