• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Capitals — Round One General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. He's old and slow. This is just what happens to guys when they get to this point. He went like half the season with eight goals, or something like that.

He’s just a secondary scorer at this point.

The whole league knows it.

He’s playing out the string to break a record.

That’s all

Can't really ask for more from a 3rd line.

Will be interesting to see what changes, if any, Lavvy makes for the 2nd round. Carolina are much faster than Caps and there might not be much reason to have Rempe in the lineup. I still want Cuylle - Chyts - Kakko with Wennberg on the 4th line with Vesey and Goodrow, but it's also dumb to mess with what's working.

I'm sure he'll roll the same lineup in game 1, but if they were to lose it will be interesting to see what changes he'll make.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Will be interesting to see what changes, if any, Lavvy makes for the 2nd round. Carolina are much faster than Caps and there might not be much reason to have Rempe in the lineup. I still want Cuylle - Chyts - Kakko with Wennberg on the 4th line with Vesey and Goodrow, but it's also dumb to mess with what's working.

I'm sure he'll roll the same lineup in game 1, but if they were to lose it will be interesting to see what changes he'll make.

I think that's the problem right now. If Chytil's ready, who sits?

Our "competition" was Rempe and Roslovic, but Rempe sitting for Chytil probably bumps Cuylle down and breaks that line up. Not sure you want to do that. Roslovic had a point-a-game series against the Caps - you don't sit him after that. 

Yay, good problems?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think you can ask them to do more than be netural against AHL opponents save from a gift goal. That won't cut it against carolina. 

Other than his penalty killing Wennberg has been pretty vanilla and had a rough game 3 in the first round.

Roslovic has been better in the playoffs.

Tough choice who to sit if Chytil is actually ready to play.  He might have to wait for an injury or for Rempe to do something stupid enough to have to take him out of the lineup. 

Ok, I hope you all enjoyed last night and that series. Now it’s time for a little real talk about it and what we need moving forward.

I’ll give some good first. The Rangers obliterated the Caps on special teams and goaltending. They swept this trash team by scoring 5 PP goals, 2 SH goals, and only giving up 2 PP goals. Going even on the PK across 4 games in the playoffs is as good as it gets and I don’t care who they played. They shaded Ovechkin and made him a complete nonfactor. Kreider was excellent taking him out of the PP. The Rangers hung tough in the 3rd periods with the lead, but they also didn’t face that much pressure.

The Caps were the worst team to make the playoffs in probably the last decade+. There’s not much to feel good about yet. Here’s a fallacy I am seeing perpetuated in Rangers land since last night: “this would have gone 6 or 7 with previous iterations of Rangers teams”. Based on what? They never played this bad an iteration of an 8 seed before. This board had 11 people (including me) picking sweep and 31 picking 5. That’s how bad the Caps are. We don’t need to make stuff up to pump tires here. This round was meaningless. Now if they punch the next opponent in the mouth, it will actually mean something.

The Rangers weren’t any better than the Caps at 5v5 outside of game 1. The Rangers were outscored 4-3 5v5 in games 2 through 4, and don’t get me started on the scoring chances. Quite frankly it’s a little embarrassing that they couldn’t tilt the ice against that team. That’s horrendous guys and gals. Sorry.

The Rangers will have to continue to blow teams out on special teams and goaltending. They are about to get caved in at 5v5 against anyone else they play from here on out. We all know the next matchup is going to be the Canes. Here’s a what to watch out for: they are significantly better than the Rangers 5v5 and they had the league’s best PK this year ready to counter our PP. Igor stole the series two years ago and he’ll have to do it again. Then he’ll have to do it for another two rounds to win a Cup. Igor will have to be the Conn Smythe winner to have a chance, and there’s no way around it. The good news is he’s capable. I hope he at least does it against the Canes because I would rather not be stuck wearing my Rangers gear around Raleigh after a loss.

Let’s Go Rangers!

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I think that's the problem right now. If Chytil's ready, who sits?

Our "competition" was Rempe and Roslovic, but Rempe sitting for Chytil probably bumps Cuylle down and breaks that line up. Not sure you want to do that. Roslovic had a point-a-game series against the Caps - you don't sit him after that. 

Yay, good problems?

Its easy, Chytil in, Rempe Out.  Verse the Canes you cant have a dude playing 5:00-6:00 minutes and pretty much 0:00 minutes in the 3rd period.  Canes are a fast team, they'll wear out the Rangers with their speed if you are shortening the bench.  

As mentioned above, Chytil C 3rd line, Wennberg down to the 4th line, Goodrow moves to the wing.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Its easy, Chytil in, Rempe Out.  Verse the Canes you cant have a dude playing 5:00-6:00 minutes and pretty much 0:00 minutes in the 3rd period.  Canes are a fast team, they'll wear out the Rangers with their speed if you are shortening the bench.  

As mentioned above, Chytil C 3rd line, Wennberg down to the 4th line, Goodrow moves to the wing.  

Probably this. Otherwise chytil to first but I think he needs time to adjust to nhl hockey again.

13 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I concur

42 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

100% this. I love Rempe, but I'm not playing him at all in a Canes series. Brodzinski would go in if Chytil can't.

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Rangers are 18-2-1 with Rempe in the lineup.

It would take enormous sandstone balls to sit him right now.

I think you play Rempe the first game. He brings a lot of energy to the crowd at home at this is just as important against a fast team. That first game will be important to set the tone and be physical and he's the guy you want to do that. 

If it works, you consider it for the second game too, but in general I agree with the sentiment that he's not a good fit for a series against carolina and you absolutely do not play him on the road in this series. 

Even without Chytil, I'm looking at Brodzinski to get a spot ahead of Rempe on the road.

Rempe has done amazing and if we make it past Carolina to either Florida or Boston, he's going right back in for either one of those. This is just not the series where you play him every game. 

49 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's easy to say sit Rempe but their record is 18-2-1 when he plays and right around .500 when he doesn't since he played his first game.  Not so sure that is a coincidence.

I don't think they sit Rempe. He gives this team a certain something. The continuous body checks change the game. Everytime the guy is on the ice the other team is as concerned with where he is as handling the puck. 

Personally I think you take him out the intensity of the whole team will suffer. 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ok, I hope you all enjoyed last night and that series. Now it’s time for a little real talk about it and what we need moving forward.

I’ll give some good first. The Rangers obliterated the Caps on special teams and goaltending. They swept this trash team by scoring 5 PP goals, 2 SH goals, and only giving up 2 PP goals. Going even on the PK across 4 games in the playoffs is as good as it gets and I don’t care who they played. They shaded Ovechkin and made him a complete nonfactor. Kreider was excellent taking him out of the PP. The Rangers hung tough in the 3rd periods with the lead, but they also didn’t face that much pressure.

The Caps were the worst team to make the playoffs in probably the last decade+. There’s not much to feel good about yet. Here’s a fallacy I am seeing perpetuated in Rangers land since last night: “this would have gone 6 or 7 with previous iterations of Rangers teams”. Based on what? They never played this bad an iteration of an 8 seed before. This board had 11 people (including me) picking sweep and 31 picking 5. That’s how bad the Caps are. We don’t need to make stuff up to pump tires here. This round was meaningless. Now if they punch the next opponent in the mouth, it will actually mean something.

The Rangers weren’t any better than the Caps at 5v5 outside of game 1. The Rangers were outscored 4-3 5v5 in games 2 through 4, and don’t get me started on the scoring chances. Quite frankly it’s a little embarrassing that they couldn’t tilt the ice against that team. That’s horrendous guys and gals. Sorry.

The Rangers will have to continue to blow teams out on special teams and goaltending. They are about to get caved in at 5v5 against anyone else they play from here on out. We all know the next matchup is going to be the Canes. Here’s a what to watch out for: they are significantly better than the Rangers 5v5 and they had the league’s best PK this year ready to counter our PP. Igor stole the series two years ago and he’ll have to do it again. Then he’ll have to do it for another two rounds to win a Cup. Igor will have to be the Conn Smythe winner to have a chance, and there’s no way around it. The good news is he’s capable. I hope he at least does it against the Canes because I would rather not be stuck wearing my Rangers gear around Raleigh after a loss.

Let’s Go Rangers!

image.jpeg

Rangers All the Way

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 4
  • JIMMY! 1

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

I think you can ask them to do more than be netural against AHL opponents save from a gift goal. That won't cut it against carolina. 

Well as Brooks pointed out this team actually struggled at 5v5 this series.

Total scoreline over 5 games were 15-9. 5 on the PP (1 was EN), 2 on the PK. Capitals had 2 PP goals.

So at 5v5 the total scoreline was 8-7. Half of those 5v5 goals came in the first game. So going 1-0 with 67% xG is actually really good in comparison to the rest of the team, which is a scary thought tbh.

• Like 1

Really nice to have a relaxing series for once, even the usual social media stuff from opposing fans was mild this time. Caps fans were too busy fighting with Pens and Red Wings fans over who deserved to lose to us.

27 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

image.jpeg

Rangers All the Way

🤣 

Seriously the "we didn't win by enough during our sweep" stuff shouldn't get any oxygen. 

The Stanley Cup is a race to 16 wins, and it doesn't matter how you get them it only matters that you do. 

• Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

🤣 

Seriously the "we didn't win by enough during our sweep" stuff shouldn't get any oxygen. 

The Stanley Cup is a race to 16 wins, and it doesn't matter how you get them it only matters that you do. 

12 to go 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

🤣 

That’s too simplistic

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That’s too simplistic

So is "they played them to a draw at 5v5 and only won with special teams and goaltending". Yeah no shit. That's been the formula for the Rangers going back since Panarin got here. The Capitals series didn't teach us anything new and to expect them to dominate any team at 5v5, no matter who the opponent is, is just expecting something outside of how this team is constructed. 

Yeah, Igor has to be the star. Yeah, the powerplay is going to have to keep rolling against a much tougher, more aggressive opponent. Tell me something we don't know. 

13 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

So is "they played them to a draw at 5v5 and only won with special teams and goaltending". Yeah no shit. That's been the formula for the Rangers going back since Panarin got here. The Capitals series didn't teach us anything new and to expect them to dominate any team at 5v5, no matter who the opponent is, is just expecting something outside of how this team is constructed. 

Yeah, Igor has to be the star. Yeah, the powerplay is going to have to keep rolling against a much tougher, more aggressive opponent. Tell me something we don't know. 

Hey, I agree and you’re preaching to the choir. I’ve been reading all year that this team is “different”, so you saying they aren’t different is apparently a pretty edgy, pessimistic take. Welcome to the club dude

• LOL 1