• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafrenière: Inside a Rangers Breakout Season That Has Been Years in the Making

glad to see his commitment and dedication is paying off.  new york is a tough place to do this but he is getting it done.  says a lot about his character and someone we should want to invest in long term.  kid probably takes the C at some point down the line if this path continues.  Next thing you will see out of him is the snarl, which he was touted to have playing in the lower leagues.

Training takes time.  i've totally changed my lifestyle from jan of 23.  cut off alcohol, all kinds of sugar, high protein intake and 2 hours a day in the gym 5-6 days a week.  lost 60 lbs over the year and the difference is amazing.  not blowing my horn here but the point is it takes a lot of time and patience.  not to mention he was still growing.

overall just a great thing to see.  kid stepped upto the challenge.  well playeed

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 3

12 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

glad to see his commitment and dedication is paying off.  new york is a tough place to do this but he is getting it done.  says a lot about his character and someone we should want to invest in long term.  kid probably takes the C at some point down the line if this path continues.  Next thing you will see out of him is the snarl, which he was touted to have playing in the lower leagues.

Training takes time.  i've totally changed my lifestyle from jan of 23.  cut off alcohol, all kinds of sugar, high protein intake and 2 hours a day in the gym 5-6 days a week.  lost 60 lbs over the year and the difference is amazing.  not blowing my horn here but the point is it takes a lot of time and patience.  not to mention he was still growing.

overall just a great thing to see.  kid stepped upto the challenge.  well playeed

Gratz on the weight loss.  That's a real accomplishment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Pretty remarkable turnaround. 

The biggest thing for me is that he's finally establishing an identity and showing what he's actually good at. His first 3 years in the league there was no "there" there, there had only been a handful of instances that you could point to and say "this is what this kid's capable of". That's no longer the case, and his play without the puck has been much better and much more consistent. 

If I was to be hyper critical, I would be wondering why it took them 3 years to take apart his stride and put it back together, as it was evident from day one in the league that he was a step behind everyone, but he's here now and that's all that matters. 

something I have said in the past about Laf/Kakko is that in that last season, Kakko at least looked engaged and like he could contribute, even when he wasn't scoring. Laf was the opposite, in games he didn't score, you barely ever noticed him

Of those two players, Laf has been the one to turn around what he was lacking before (though I would say recent Kakko has been looking better in that regard, with production starting to come)

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't call that being "out of position" but yeah, it's the endless cycle.

It's totally being out of position.  The way to make it not out of position is to find ways to get to the slot or make passes to the slot.  Otherwise you're just killing time.

3 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Would easily have 30+/60+ if he had legit PP time.

I'd normally push back on this, but I think there's legitimate merit to it now that we're seeing so much more of a 5v5 impact than we have in years past. Basically, Seth Jarvis.

2 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

It's wild we're here talking like this after that preseason. I guess that's a lesson to us all.

Between him and Quick, I think we all need to essentially vow to not even watch preseason next year, let alone give a remote shit what happens in it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

💯 

NHLNet did a breakdown on Austin Matthews release point this season and how it's coming a quarter of a second earlier than last season in certain situations. What's the result? 70 goal push. 

...and that's only an eye blink... 😃 

45 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Slobby!!!!  Good to see you back my man!!!  Congrats!!!

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

His problem right now is the endless cycle. My opinion is that the endless cycling comes from him not feeling confident taking the puck to the net or getting his shot off, so he consistently makes the safest play which is dumping the puck back into the corner or behind the net. 

If he got some more room or an extra step to be able to take that puck to the middle and shoot it, that could be a difference maker in his game. He doesn't take shitty no angle shots, therefore the endless cycle. If he's able to get himself an angle, I think he will shoot more, which is what you saw last night. 

I agree with this. I think I just don't really have the confidence that there's much left, if any, extra steps or half steps to be gained through training. At some point the physical attributes that can be attained are maxed out. I kind of feel like he's there already. Rather than quicker, he could still get stronger, and that might help bully his way physically to the middle of the ice instead of requiring separation though.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree with this. I think I just don't really have the confidence that there's much left, if any, extra steps or half steps to be gained through training. At some point the physical attributes that can be attained are maxed out. I kind of feel like he's there already. Rather than quicker, he could still get stronger, and that might help bully his way physically to the middle of the ice instead of requiring separation though.

I haven't really dissected Kakko's stride, but there's a half a step easily gained through better mechanics creating more efficiency.

Yes, you can max out the power you're generating through your leg, but lengthen your stride and a better return and push can get you the half step you're looking for.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Laf is a bust and Quick is finished.

Oops. lol

I was going to make a "walk it back" thread earlier in the season,  but I didn't want to jinx what was turning into 2 very good things. 

I was loud about giving up on Lafrenière. I deemed Quick absolutely cooked. Holy shit what a turn around for both. 

With Lafrenière,  I feel that his conditioning was a huge problem. We no longer see him gassed and almost dying after shifts. He's got way more jump.

Most importantly,  he knows what the coach wants him to do. He has a place and it's not to be the face of the organization right away. I don't think he handled the pressure of being a 1OA very well,  due to lack of direction as well as maybe a lack of taking the league seriously to start. 

I'm very happy he has turned into a top 6 player. He's becoming a difference maker. If he's riding Panarins coat tails or not (I'm not saying he is), I don't care. He works. He fits. He's part of the Rangers TOP line and one of the league's TOP lines. That line has absolutely carried this team. The kid switched positions and got better!

47 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's totally being out of position.  The way to make it not out of position is to find ways to get to the slot or make passes to the slot.  Otherwise you're just killing time.

You're never in the wrong position when you have the puck and you're cycling. If you want to say his body is not in a position where he can get to the middle because his back is to the middle, sure. But that's not being out of position. 

Your terminology is off base, but if that's the hell you want to die on, have at it. 

It's clearly the offseason work. We all knew it for two years and I agree with I wonder why it took so long to work on that specifically, but also don't care because he clearly did the work and is clearly a universes better player for it. Kudos to him. That's hard to do. 

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lafreniere's issue was always training. He was lacking foot speed, acceleration, separation, stamina, etc. It was talked about all summer, and it was clear from game 1 he had improved those things significantly. The talent was already there but couldn't be showcased - like having the engine of a Pinto inside a Mustang.

Kakko's issue isn't physical training. We've said for about 4 years now, since after his rookie season, how he has done all the right stuff to improve physically and be ready. That's why so many had been clamoring for a break out from him. Occasional plays and spurts are there, check that snipe last night as a prime example, but he may never figure it out or have the confidence to be consistently good every night. His issue is between the ears and that's not an easy problem to get past.

Kakko is consistently good every night.

Just not in the ways we want or think he should be.

Hes gonna be fine. And looking more and more like he’s poised to put it together.

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

It's clearly the offseason work. We all knew it for two years and I agree with I wonder why it took so long to work on that specifically, but also don't care because he clearly did the work and is clearly a universes better player for it. Kudos to him. That's hard to do. 

It’s not that simple.

He needed physical maturation.

He needed reps

And experience

And perhaps greater opportunity.

He also needed TO SEE.

He didn’t see prior.

He sees now. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I'd normally push back on this, but I think there's legitimate merit to it now that we're seeing so much more of a 5v5 impact than we have in years past. Basically, Seth Jarvis.

Between him and Quick, I think we all need to essentially vow to not even watch preseason next year, let alone give a remote shit what happens in it.

Seth Jarvis couldn’t hold his French Canadian wang.

38 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Kakko is consistently good every night.

Just not in the ways we want or think he should be.

Hes gonna be fine. And looking more and more like he’s poised to put it together.

I take issue with "good". I think he's consistently "fine" every night, in that you can expect him to play even with his opposition. Occasionally he is "good", in that he's a productive positive (good).

I'm not worried that he's "fine". I'm worried that he's not "good" enough to be worth the level of commitment and reliance they've put on him year over year.

Lafreniere 5v5 rankings amongst forwards

Games 1 through 46: 6th TOI, 92nd goals, 64th points

Games 47 through 76: 22nd TOI, 13th goals, 18th points

Despite looking good in the first stretch, Lafreniere's production lagged way behind relative to the sheer amount of 5v5 TOI he was receiving. In the last 30 plus games, he's producing relative to his TOI (actually a bit above, even), and showing out like a true 1st line forward. You just love to fucking see it

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • LINDY! 1
  • Believe 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I take issue with "good". I think he's consistently "fine" every night, in that you can expect him to play even with his opposition. Occasionally he is "good", in that he's a productive positive (good).

I'm not worried that he's "fine". I'm worried that he's not "good" enough to be worth the level of commitment and reliance they've put on him year over year.

Kakko will never hurt your team. Sporadically he will help your team. 

Lafreniere can win a game for your team, but he could also lose one.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Kakko will never hurt your team. Sporadically he will help your team. 

Lafreniere can win a game for your team, but he could also lose one.

Kakko is still struggling in his own mind.  Laf isn't.  That's the difference.

21 hours ago, Br4d said:

Kakko needs to make better approaches to the net.  He is out of position with the puck more than any other Ranger.

I actually feel like Kakko has been making inroads (so to speak) on finding routes to the net and execution once he gets there like this:

5g, 7p in his last 10. He could be starting to break out at the right time.

That was an inspired move to the net.  It required two guys in front to keep the defense from challenging him.

Maybe that's the key to Kakko.  Don't look for guys to cycle with him, look for guys who want to crash the net with him.

18 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s progressing still.

There’s more there and more coming. 

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

Kakko is still struggling in his own mind.  Laf isn't.  That's the difference.

That has nothing to do with what I said but sure.