• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#65) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes — Rally in Raleigh

4 minutes ago, JJ in VA said:

Fantastic win.   Impressed again with the chemistry and balance.   Head north to Tampa for another playoff-type match.     Let's Go Rangers !

Kreider Watch:  CK looked energetic and physical.   Back-to-back hustle games.   Proud of him.

G: 0    A: 1   SOG: 1  Hit: 1    19:11

Soft/Poinyetta Rating:  Nil.     

0HZOfbE.png

• LOL 3
  • LMFAO 9
  • CK20! 3

4 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

TRO can play Freddie Mercury in the next bio film. 🎥 

Gotta get him a pair of Billy Bob teeth n he'd be a dead ringer

• Bullseye 1

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Just tremendous defensive play these last few games. They could've easily had a shutout last game for three in a row. Even when they were hot out of the gate, I don't think they were looking this good on defense. This is the kind of hockey I expect from a Laviolette coached team.

The team is moving up and down the ice as a unit and the forwards are playing aggressive D in our zone. They've turned that on in several big games this year but it's been sporadic. Both Wenn and Ros are workhorses and I think that and Rempes gritty play are inspiring them to commit. Hopefully it doesn't flame out n continues every game for the balance of the season!! LGR

• Keeps it 100 1

What a Game!!!

I'm tellin' ya, these games just keep getting better and better as we move along!  So many great things happening with this team, and a ton of it starts with Igor.

This team has given us a tremendous amount of entertainment this season, and is heading full-speed toward the playoffs.

Here are the Top 16 nominees for tonight's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by The Crystal Ball that @RichieNextel305 Richie used to get the Trivia question...I think that's even better than getting the answer!!!  😃

13 hours ago, phillyb said:

CAR G - no relation to Petr Nedved. 

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Roslovic's eyes look very far apart. I wonder if that helps his peripheral vision 

13 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Fox should ask Laf for pointers on what worked for his improved skating

22 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Trivia is Alex Kovalev.

Question is: Who scored the Rangers first goal against the Hurricanes in Carolina? If it’s that, I deserve double.

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

"I think Brett's Dad was in Home Alone, Joe."

12 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

How isn't Carolina gassed towards the end of the season w/ their style of play?  It's the first period and I'm tired of watching them.  

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

Schneider looking at the iPad with Miller saying “I still can’t see where you went on that play.”

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

I absolutely love the love guy in charge of music at the arena. Nothing pumps up a hockey crowd like crap music

11 hours ago, Dem said:

Fuck the donuts going into third on back to back we need meth bagels

11 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Nothing more embarrassing for a team than your home crowd chanting for your opponents goalie.  

11 hours ago, knedragon said:

How much are Wennberg replica invisible sticks ?

11 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

$210. They're made by Fanatics and usually you just get an empty box.

Great, so we could have drafted Kuznetsov but went McIlrath instead. Now I want some drugs too. 

11 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

I think its because time stands still in Carolina, at least it does in their airports

Lovin the snarl from Fox tonight. Someone should pee in his cornflakes more often!

10 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

TRO can play Freddie Mercury in the next bio film. 🎥 

Took me over an hour to fall asleep last night after that one!  If these two teams meet in the playoffs it's probably going to be like the 1994 Devils Vs. Rangers all over again!  ....That  was one for the ages! 

Fox looking very Norris-like, and Igor looking Vezina-cious have some kinda effect on this squad.  Nothing like hearing the "Igor" chant in a divisional rival's arena though!!! 

Those "under-the-radar" trades make it look like Mr Drury was burning the midnight oil during the trade deadline.

...and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Keirik!  That's the Fox we remember!  I see us getting primed and ready for what's headed our way! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Carolina really controlled the entire game

No, they controlled parts of the game.  There were several sequences where they couldn't get out of the DZ over a couple of shifts.

We won the game because Igor was spectacular and the Rangers kept the 'Canes under wraps for most of the game.

Just now, Br4d said:

No, they controlled parts of the game.  There were several sequences where they couldn't get out of the DZ over a couple of shifts.

We won the game because Igor was spectacular and the Rangers kept the 'Canes under wraps for most of the game.

He's taking the piss, mate. It's obvious this was a really well-fought win and a relatively even game.

• Bullseye 1

I was listening to the 'Canes stream for most of the game and those guys were pushing the home team of course but I got the feeling they know the Rangers are better right now.

They also think Igor is the best goalie in the NHL.

• Believe 1

32 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Carolina really controlled the entire game

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The biggest series of events leading to the shot share data was the 3 minute shift when Miller/Schneider were out. It was a pretty even game, and after re-watching I felt the Rangers grade A chances were more dangerous than Carolina's. Their goalie is just as responsible for it not being 3 or 4-1 for the Rangers.

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I was listening to the 'Canes stream for most of the game and those guys were pushing the home team of course but I got the feeling they know the Rangers are better right now.

They also think Igor is the best goalie in the NHL.

He is right now. And the difference is that he has shown he can play that level consistently, and Carolina's goalie(s) are very much wild cards.

According to that graphic:

Rangers 7 high danger chances, 1.92 expected goals from them. That's .274 expected goals per chance.

Carolina 6 high danger chances, 2.04 expected goals from them. That's .34 expected goals per chance.

It would appear there are more levels within each of these scoring chances buckets that translate to more or less expected goals.

BTW, the Rangers had a strong first period and a half or so. It was clear to me they were losing it a bit as the game progressed. That's a scheduling effect. Traveled the night before from NY to NC, while the Canes were well reseted with a day off in between home games. The Canes are also a really good team and you're not going to just roll them over, especially if you get dead legs in the back half of a game. I thought the Rangers' effort in the 3rd, and execution of the 1-3-1 and controlling the boards with little gas in the tank against that team was admirable. Strong character win for the Blueshirts.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3
  • Believe 2

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rangers 7 high danger chances, 1.92 expected goals from them. That's .274 expected goals per chance.

Carolina 6 high danger chances, 2.04 expected goals from them. That's .34 expected goals per chance.

It would appear there are more levels within each of these scoring chances buckets that translate to more or less expected goals.

Yea, for example an expected goal can come from a mid-danger chance.

Edited by Pete

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Based on that, I would guess that the "threshold" for a high-danger chance is .25 xG on the play. Mid-danger is probably something like .1-.24 xG

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea, for example an expected goal can come from a mid-danger chance.

3 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Based on that, I would guess that the "threshold" for a high-danger chance is .25 xG on the play. Mid-danger is probably something like .1-.24 xG

The expected goals I gave were for the high danger chances only, per the chart. Rangers had more HDC but fewer expected goals generated from HDC.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The expected goals I gave were for the high danger chances only, per the chart. Rangers had more HDC but fewer expected goals generated from HDC.

Oh I see. Misunderstood what you said there. 

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yep. Likely less threatening HDC, or Igor stole one or two real big ones (like, there's probably a .25 xG HDC and a .45 xG HDC and they get classified as the same)

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Yep. Likely less threatening HDC, or Igor stole one or two real big ones (like, there's probably a .25 xG HDC and a .45 xG HDC and they get classified as the same)

If it's that large of a spread, which the indication is it is based on that chart, they should have more groupings.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If it's that large of a spread, which the indication is it is based on that chart, they should have more groupings.

I wonder how much of it depends on the player as well.

There are areas that are considered high danger, however if it's Panarin taking the shot versus Goodrow, that expected goal number is going to be different. 

Also the goalie save percentage on high danger chances comes into play.

Not all players are equal. 

I wonder how CSA comes to these numbers. Regardless, I trust their data. A lot of NHL teams use it. 

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I have no idea if it is, but I would guess that a high-danger chance exceeding .4 xGA is probably quite rare simply because goalies exist. We don't see many of these charts that say "4 HDCF, 2 xG", for example. It's usually pretty close to a .25 xG to 1 HDCF ratio

Or put another way, there's a point where you're just dealing with outliers and the group doesn't matter much because the extremes are very rare.

50 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ya think it takes into account save% of the goalie Brooks? Igor is pretty high from his slump 1st half of the season.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I wonder how much of it depends on the player as well.

There are areas that are considered high danger, however if it's Panarin taking the shot versus Goodrow, that expected goal number is going to be different. 

Also the goalie save percentage on high danger chances comes into play.

Not all players are equal. 

I wonder how CSA comes to these numbers. Regardless, I trust their data. A lot of NHL teams use it. 

Holy fuckwad Batman! I was an honors student and all of these stats are like

a foreign language to me. Wins v. Losses. That I understand. 

Don’t get me started on the betting stuff either. I need a tutorial - or separate explanatory thread - as I’m sure others are ‘lost in the woods’ too. Maybe not and it’s just me. 🤷 

I want to understand these things. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Like 1
  • LMFAO 1